Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how many of you try to use pure gas as much as you can.

I was shown a very nice app for my phone that list all the places you can get it close to where you are at the time you need gas. Well assuming you run low close to where the station is. :)

The app is called Pure Gas and is on both Google Play and at the App store for the iPhone people.

It has worked pretty well for me so far, To add a place that is not on the list is a little time consuming.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Pure Gas on the App Store
Pure Gas - Android Apps on Google Play

·
Banned
928 Posts
I think marine applications are the only ones where it might be a good idea to spend extra for it.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Ethanol free gas is not better for your modern vehicle. Modern vehicles actually run better with Ethanol especially if you are looking for performance. Ethanol burns cooler and makes more power.

The 0% ethanol fuels are usually much more detonation/knock prone and produces less power. Turbocharged and supercharged cars in particular love Ethanol. The more ethanol the better. Nowdays, even the factory calibrations in newer cars are expecting the fuel to be 10% ethanol and use stochiometric settings based on 10% ethanol fuels. Ethanol free gas is slightly better for gas mileage and your lawn mower or old carbureted classic car, but not for modern fuel injected performance cars.

For example I have a fully built supra that makes up to 1k rwhp on high boost. That can only be done when i'm running E85. When I can not find E85 and run pump 92 I can only safely make 550ish HP.

The LE9 that's in your slingshot was designed to run on Ethanol blends and straight E85. BUT do NOT put E85 in your sling as other components are not made to run off E85.

We hope to have a E85 tune soon for the turbo slings as it will make allot more power allot safer.

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
Ethanol free gas is not better for your modern vehicle. Modern vehicles actually run better with Ethanol especially if you are looking for performance. Ethanol burns cooler and makes more power. Yes your MPG will go down but the performance is a night and day difference.

For example I have a fully built supra that makes up to 1k rwhp on high boost. That can only be done when i'm running E85. When I can not find E85 and run pump 92 I can only safely make 550ish HP.

The LE9 that's in your slingshot was designed to run on Ethanol blends and straight E85. BUT do NOT put E85 in your sling as other components are not made to run off E85.

We hope to have a E85 tune soon for the turbo slings as it will make allot more power allot safer.
Thanks Henry! :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ethanol free gas is not better for your modern vehicle. Modern vehicles actually run better with Ethanol especially if you are looking for performance. Ethanol burns cooler and makes more power.

The 0% ethanol fuels are usually much more detonation/knock prone and produces less power. Turbocharged and supercharged cars in particular love Ethanol. The more ethanol the better. Nowdays, even the factory calibrations in newer cars are expecting the fuel to be 10% ethanol and use stochiometric settings based on 10% ethanol fuels. Ethanol free gas is slightly better for gas mileage and your lawn mower or old carbureted classic car, but not for modern fuel injected performance cars.

Thanks for this information.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
Ethanol has less power per equivalent volume than gasoline, which is why it burns "cooler, " the expansion due to the burn is what drives the piston, and heat is a critical component of that equation; less heat=less expansion=less power.

Race cars burn ethanol because they derive power via higher RPMs, ethanol burns faster, and race cars get more power out of it due to gearing down the higher RPMs, although many factors are taken into consideration such as tire wear and pit stops. Race engines are rebuilt after every race, so the wear effects of alcohol are minimized. The engineering law is, "speed kills," so increasing RPM will lead to shorter engine life. As we know, shifting sooner at lower RPM uses less fuel, so increasing RPM has an economy loss due mainly to friction at higher RPM speeds (which, in part, is why diesel engines are more efficient in many applications, but they're not usually found in race cars).

Ethanol is also a net-sum-loss product: a person cannot farm a crop, produce fuel, and use the fuel to power the tractor to plant another crop and make even more fuel. The process actually uses more fuel than it produces, which is why farmers' crops are not self-sustaining as far as fuel is concerned, at least as far as I know about.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts