Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a high school student in my final year and for my Engineering class I have to make a model Slingshot as part of my final exams. This model has to be my own unique design and meet certain constraints and requirements (Steering mechanism, powered rear wheel etc). Along with the actual model I have to produce a design portfolio which must include some research and investigation, problem analysis etc.

I need some to know some things about the inspiration for the Slingshot. Why did Polaris design and build something like this?
I was looking online and thought that here might be the best place for some wisdom!
Thanks in advance, any information is appreciated!

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I do believe that Polaris was going after the 'Senior Citizen' motorcycle market....they did a good job getting into that group and also grabbed a lot of the younger gays and gals. The Slingshot seems to attract the whole age range as well as both the guys and gals. I've had mine for 2.5 years and have almost 60,000 miles in the seat. I love it.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Many of the earliest examples of reverse trikes from which I would imagine Polaris took their inspiration for the Slingshot originated in the UK. I would research the history of reverse trikes there for background info. I would recommend the Reliant Robin as an excellent example of why a performance 3-wheeler is better off using two wheels in front and one in the rear. Also research the benefits of balancing the front-rear weight distribution by using a front engine, rear-drive system as opposed to the more common motorcycle-derived rear-engine approach.
Does your model have to exist as a scale model or is a detailed paper description acceptable? Just wondering as building a reverse trike (full-size or reduced-scale) model with the functioning features you mentioned will be an interesting challenge. The Pre-Engineering courses I took 45+ years ago required us to identify a need and design a possible solution to that need. My team chose to design a low-cost, high throughput metal-can crusher. Looking back now, I realize how inadequate our analysis and design process was, but fortunately for us, we received a decent evaluation for our project.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I need some to know some things about the inspiration for the Slingshot. Why did Polaris design and build something like this?
You might look for early product announcements and articles for hints. Here's some things I found:

http://www.latimes.com/business/aut...ingshot-roadster-unveiled-20140724-story.html
Polaris, which is marketing the Slingshot with the slogan "Hold on. Let go," says the target demographic for the new machine is male, 25 to 60. But they expect the vehicle may also appeal to anyone who's interested in a motorcycle experience but isn't ready for two-wheels -- a non-rider, or a rider who may be a little older or concerned about the weight of a high-powered motorcycle.
This one seems to be a failed(?) pitch for an ad campaign, with lots of discussion of the target market they would aim for.
https://ellieksteen.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/slingshot-plansbook.pdf

And then another newer ad campaign, one that did proceed.
Team One and Polaris Dare You to Experience The Slingshot | LBBOnline
The brash strategy is aimed at reaching Slingshot’s target audience of “Broken-DNA Thrill-seekers,” who index high for adrenaline and attention. As that name implies, this is a segment that loves to take risks and sees themselves as“self-made” and “the life of the party.” These consumers tend to be middle-age males with discretionary income ($100k+) and aligns well with March Madness demographics.

Polaris believes these adrenaline thrill-seekers are customers who could help Slingshot define the unique category of one—and perhaps even become a brand verb like Band-Aid or Uber. To “Slingshot” is to ride this type of vehicle,typically with the intent to show off its exotic looks and/or raw performance capabilities.

·
Vendor
645 Posts
You might look for early product announcements and articles for hints. Here's some things I found:

First Look: Polaris' Slingshot roadster unveiled

This one seems to be a failed(?) pitch for an ad campaign, with lots of discussion of the target market they would aim for.
https://ellieksteen.files.wordpress.com/2015/04/slingshot-plansbook.pdf

And then another newer ad campaign, one that did proceed.
Team One and Polaris Dare You to Experience The Slingshot | LBBOnline
I have never seen that failed pitch before, some bad photoshopping in there, but otherwise gives some neat information, thanks for sharing it!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hello, I am a high school student in my final year and for my Engineering class I have to make a model Slingshot as part of my final exams... I need some to know some things about the inspiration for the Slingshot. Why did Polaris design and build something like this?
I was looking online and thought that here might be the best place for some wisdom!
Thanks in advance, any information is appreciated!
What a great project! Sorry I cannon offer any help, but I would like to ask that you share your project with us here when you complete it. Wait. One suggestion. Why not email the Slingshot office and see if someone there might be willing and able to help?

·
Registered
393 Posts
From across the pond so this makes things even more difficult :/
Heh @paulyvc if you want to talk to a fellow countryman one, of the first in the UK to own a Slingshot there ,and a very active poster about all his SLINGSHOT ADVENTURES THERE, you can search his forum name and contact him at the other very active slingshot forum wwwslingshotinfo (dot)com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts