Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
@WI_Hedgehog could probably answer that for you. By the way received my things back. All looks fantastic. Will probably be another week or two before I get it back together. Will give some feedback on it then. And appreciate the extra things that found their way in there. You guys are doing a great job.

·
Hold my beer and watch this!
1,314 Posts
Looks good... I could go for raw steel and plasti-dip my color
May want to think about putting down a primer/sealer first. Don't think the Plasti-Dip has an anti-corrosive element in it. With the bar being raw steel it will rust. Also we have a local powder coating shop.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Nice job, I am curious how it will play out on a 3 wheeler, if its comparable to a 4 wheel car or if its a bit less or more of a change. On my past cars it was very noticeable in a positive way.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
@MrWinn I feel the same thing as when I installed strut bars on most of my cars I have owned. It feels more solid, especially when your doing aggressive driving. :D

When you install the strut bar, and pull off the old brace, you won't believe the difference. The original brace is only used to hold your air intake and radiator in place so it's not for the suspension. With out a doubt this make the suspension much more solid.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
@Jorgebri60 It will Not interfere with Alpha turbo kit. If you did not modify the aluminum bar or even remove it, this Strut Bar will work on basically every SS. Except the JV turbo kit I believe.

@WraithSS If your referring to the fan shroud on the 2016.5 models, we looked at on Saturday and it looked like no issues at all. If your referring to the heat shield kits by the muffler, no issues there either.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
@MrWinn I feel the same thing as when I installed strut bars on most of my cars I have owned. It feels more solid, especially when your doing aggressive driving. :D

When you install the strut bar, and pull off the old brace, you won't believe the difference. The original brace is only used to hold your air intake and radiator in place so it's not for the suspension. With out a doubt this make the suspension much more solid.
Your statement of "The original brace is only used to hold your air intake and radiator in place so it's not for the suspension" I believe is misleading. The original brace is much more substantial than that and I am sure any structural engineer would agree. Is your strut bar better? I would hope so, but please provide a little more than blanket statements. Provide the gauge of your strut tube verses the gauge of the aluminum square tube and draw some comparisons. Weight alone between the two is not a good comparison as yours has solid block ends and the mounted brackets between the two provide little support to the twisting of the chassis. With a little more information to support your claims would be returned in sales.

An interesting read on the subject:

Stiff Stuff: Strut Bars and Braces

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
By all means I am not an engineer, just a hard core car guy with decades of experience as well as a Tool Maker. I am sure the .0625" wall original square aluminum bar with hollow end blocks is doing something, but can't be much. If you think we were trying to mislead anybody, that's not the case. If you would like to call us at anytime we can go over more of the design and why we chose what we chose.

We are providing a replacement that is structurally stronger and more rigid at a great place in the frame where it could use a bar like we designed. Our tube is .120" thick steel with solid end blocks and fully welded. Let us know if that's the information you are looking for please.

* we talked to a very well know SS owner yesterday for a while and he really loved the Strut Bar and its design. He had claimed that within the first 3000 miles of a new SS that the frame can flex and holds its position of more that a half inch. He stated this Strut Bar should drastically help in this issue and look forward to getting one* He also road courses his as well.

We make parts for the average SS rider to the hard core enthusiast. We are a small company and do as much testing truly possible, giving statements and as much proof as we have access too. We are doing the first run of 20+ bars at a discount to get other people on board to help with our support and success of this product.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
By all means I am not an engineer, just a hard core car guy with decades of experience as well as a Tool Maker. I am sure the .0625" wall original square aluminum bar with hollow end blocks is doing something, but can't be much. If you think we were trying to mislead anybody, that's not the case. If you would like to call us at anytime we can go over more of the design and why we chose what we chose.

We are providing a replacement that is structurally stronger and more rigid at a great place in the frame where it could use a bar like we designed. Our tube is .120" thick steel with solid end blocks and fully welded. Let us know if that's the information you are looking for please.

* we talked to a very well know SS owner yesterday for a while and he really loved the Strut Bar and its design. He had claimed that within the first 3000 miles of a new SS that the frame can flex and holds its position of more that a half inch. He stated this Strut Bar should drastically help in this issue and look forward to getting one* He also road courses his as well.

We make parts for the average SS rider to the hard core enthusiast. We are a small company and do as much testing truly possible, giving statements and as much proof as we have access too. We are doing the first run of 20+ bars at a discount to get other people on board to help with our support and success of this product.
I am not an engineer either. Just pointing out that the stock strut bar does much more than hold the radiator and air cleaner. Pound for pound aluminum is the same strength as steel. The stock 1.75" aluminum square tube is about 0.5 lb/ft, steel 1.5" round tube is 1.769 lb/ft. But the square tube is 1.7 times stronger than round tube of the same size when it comes to bending and buckling. Round tube is better than square tube when it comes to torsional strength. The strut bar has more to do with lateral forces than twisting. Now again I am not an engineer but my guess is the RRR strut bar would be about twice the strength of the stock.

Chassis frames flex, all do, some more than others. I am curious how the "SS owner" measured the more than 1/2" flex of the frame? He should be a great resource for you when he provides documentation before and after the RRR install. I am not disputing the claim, but now I am very curious. FYI, I have a few miles on mine also and my avatar is me on a track. And I do like what you bring to the Slingshot community.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thanks for the props.

Ok, I made a special trip to the dealership and the factory aluminum square bar is called a "weld mount- radiator upper"

When we build products and R&D parts we do talk to many big dogs in this community. They do not post on here, nor do I blame them at times.

If you would like to purchase one and put it through the tests, please let me know, we will help you out.

The main reason our bar is 1.5" OD is the whole engine bay frame is welded in the same diameter giving it a better fit and finish and making our "strut bar" a perfect match.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts