Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

A local customer brought us this trailer and luggage pod prior to a cross-country trip and said, "Make it so!" And so we did.

We installed a Wycked Hitch, which was a pretty straightforward affair. The luggage pod, however, was an adventure into custom design and fabrication. We mounted it to the roll hoops and constructed a front support hoop which attaches to the Slingshade. Now, we well realize this mod isn't for everyone, but who are we to turn down good paying work which flexes our design and fabrication muscle?

We went late into the night, with a 12:30AM delivery, as the customer was on his way out at about 3AM. I took the obligatory test drive, and was pleasantly surprised at the machine's attitude. The combination of the trailer and the pod was unexpectedly stable. I've driven my share of Slings, and I have to admit this combo was one of the most stable I've ever piloted. The trailer's natural tug helps keep the rear wheel on track, and the pod? I'd be lying if I didn't offer that it made the entire Slingshot more well-mannered. There was a calmness, a reduction in the bit of natural side-to-side "wiggle" that Slings have, if so subtly. It was as if the pod was acting as an aerodynamic device, not unlike an airplane's fuselage and vertical stabilizer.

The customer loved it. Over the entire 1200 mile drive, he reported it was very well behaved, no buffeting or rattling from the pod, and even in the rain, its contents remained dry. Overall, he was as impressed as could be. The pod offered so much storage that he didn't even need the trailer this go!

Now, of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This look just may not suit some folks, and that's fine. All the same, it shows an interesting and effective path to take for those more concerned with capacity than the pure aesthetic.

We are currently powder coating the front hoop in gloss black, and I wasn't going to show pics until that was done...but I reasoned the contrasting bare aluminum color might better illustrate the construction. Once it's black, it will be much less visible.

Love it or hate it, one can't argue the functionality and capacity! Will we do more? Quite possibly, should we be approached. We do enjoy taking care of such unique requests here, as we certainly possess the capability and equipment to do...well, just about anything!

513 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually really like that. You could easily travel the US in this set up now. Taking plenty of clothes, camping gear, etc.

Like to see more details of the turtle mount.
Sure thing! I'll get some more pics. Another positive aspect is that it's readily removable, about a dozen bolts is all, say ten minutes.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Are they pics also on your website? For some reason, I can't see the pics you posted here...not from my computer nor on I my iPhone...

513 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are they pics also on your website? For some reason, I can't see the pics you posted here...not from my computer nor on I my iPhone...
No, we've not put these on our website, but may soon if interest ramps up. Perhaps message me your cell and I can txt them to you, or an email addy and Ill email.

That's odd on the pics for sure! Anyone else not able to see them? Perhaps it's a vagary of the new website revamp.

513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pics show up just fine on my computer, didn't try from mobile.
I may have found the ghost in the machine...those pics are hosted at slingshotinfo.com. I don't know if that being a competing site is some sort of factor here, but if anyone else reports issues seeing them, let me know and I'll redirect them as needed ;)

·
Registered
2 Posts
No pics on my mobile.

A local customer brought us this trailer and luggage pod prior to a cross-country trip and said, "Make it so!" And so we did.

We installed a Wycked Hitch, which was a pretty straightforward affair. The luggage pod, however, was an adventure into custom design and fabrication. We mounted it to the roll hoops and constructed a front support hoop which attaches to the Slingshade. Now, we well realize this mod isn't for everyone, but who are we to turn down good paying work which flexes our design and fabrication muscle?

We went late into the night, with a 12:30AM delivery, as the customer was on his way out at about 3AM. I took the obligatory test drive, and was pleasantly surprised at the machine's attitude. The combination of the trailer and the pod was unexpectedly stable. I've driven my share of Slings, and I have to admit this combo was one of the most stable I've ever piloted. The trailer's natural tug helps keep the rear wheel on track, and the pod? I'd be lying if I didn't offer that it made the entire Slingshot more well-mannered. There was a calmness, a reduction in the bit of natural side-to-side "wiggle" that Slings have, if so subtly. It was as if the pod was acting as an aerodynamic device, not unlike an airplane's fuselage and vertical stabilizer.

The customer loved it. Over the entire 1200 mile drive, he reported it was very well behaved, no buffeting or rattling from the pod, and even in the rain, its contents remained dry. Overall, he was as impressed as could be. The pod offered so much storage that he didn't even need the trailer this go!

Now, of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This look just may not suit some folks, and that's fine. All the same, it shows an interesting and effective path to take for those more concerned with capacity than the pure aesthetic.

We are currently powder coating the front hoop in gloss black, and I wasn't going to show pics until that was done...but I reasoned the contrasting bare aluminum color might better illustrate the construction. Once it's black, it will be much less visible.

Love it or hate it, one can't argue the functionality and capacity! Will we do more? Quite possibly, should we be approached. We do enjoy taking care of such unique requests here, as we certainly possess the capability and equipment to do...well, just about anything!

I do not see any pics.
Please email me:

513 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Looking for a trailer hitch set up for my SS that has the Corbin saddlebags. Any suggestions?
We sell and install the Wycked Hitch, the best thing going for trailering on the Slingshot. It's a properly executed chassis-mounted hitch, not a compromise attached to the swingarm. You can also see it (if barely!) in the pics I posted above. The driving experience with one is superbly stable, the old adage of "you can't even feel it back there!" comes to mind.

If you'd like to learn more, please let me know. Current pricing is $875 + shipping.

513 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everyone: I've re-posted the pics in the original post above, and hopefully they are viewable to all this time!

513 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We are edging closer to bringing this to full production based on the positive response so far, in two versions: one that would accommodate Slingshade-equipped machines (such as the one shown in this thread), as well as one for those with no top whatsoever. I'l keep y'all posted!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts