Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surely MOD can prevent all this crap.................

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,817 Posts
I have said it before...when you have mods and admins that are not actively involved in the community...they don't care.

·
Super Moderator
2,889 Posts
Moderators cannot stop the influx of SPAM nor effectively fight it--we don't have the tools and the automated spamming systems easily outrun us. We've asked for more advanced automated tools for just under three years with no answer. (Software updates did give us some tools, we use them to the best of our ability, and bend them to what we need when that's possible.)

Unfortunately it's in the hands of the administrators, who are overburdened and understaffed by the parent company. If taxes were lower they could probably afford more staff, but that's a larger issue many companies face.

The SPAM invasion has affected many sites, some worse, some better. Of the sites owned by this company which I'm part of, SlingshotForums is the most heavily hit (I don't know why, moderators don't have access to those tools).

I wish I could do more. Admins wish they had time and resources to do more. I'm guessing the parent company wishes profits were higher and overhead lower so they could hire more administrators. SPAM is the part users see, though there's a lot more that goes on (or doesn't go on but should) in the background that is just as frustrating. It's part of running a business in the "companies are all evil--tax them and kill them off" environment.

Also difficult is finding decent employees--I shouldn't even get on that soapbox....

·
Super Moderator
2,889 Posts
BY THE POWER INVESTED IN ME....
(I crashed the server)

Okay, "crashed" is a bit strong, I stalled the server (repeatedly). As an example, one spammer registered 4 days ago and created over 1,000 spam threads, and cleanup...well, such things take a lot of system resources...sorry about that.

Several thousand threads and a large group of spammers have been removed. THANK YOU for your reports and PM's. (I did read them and fixed the remaining issues you reported.)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Many thanks Hedgehog for your explanation of how it works and all your efforts to clean it up. Happy to be back on my favorite SS forum. :D

·
Super Moderator
2,889 Posts
You're very welcome @Ulflyer The automated tools Administration put in place have been frustrating the spammers and generating more work for them before they're able to post successfully, while letting "normal" people (I use that term loosely*) through without issue, so we're seeing a drop-off in spam. This has been a tremendous help in keeping SlingshotForums clean.

Members Reporting SPAM are helping tremendously, and the PMs helped too! Thank you!

*If, for some reason, you're not "normal," you might own an awesome three-wheeled vehicle...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts