Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Centering the steering wheel is easy while doing the alignment, a lot easier than pulling it.
I totally agree! But now days getting something done right, unless you do it yourself is almost impossible

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
If you decide to try and recenter the wheel yourself, most auto parts sores will loan you a steering wheel puller (actually, they sell it to you and then refund your money when you return it next day). Thanks to Polaris, if you have the stock wheel, you'll need to get some 10/32 screws about 2-3" log and some fender washers to get the 10-32 screw heads to stop against the puller when pulling the wheel. In my case, I also needed to bend the fender washers for clearance around the puller screw/bolt that seats against the steering shaft.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If you decide to try and recenter the wheel yourself, most auto parts sores will loan you a steering wheel puller (actually, they sell it to you and then refund your money when you return it next day). Thanks to Polaris, if you have the stock wheel, you'll need to get some 10/32 screws about 2-3" log and some fender washers to get the 10-32 screw heads to stop against the puller when pulling the wheel. In my case, I also needed to bend the fender washers for clearance around the puller screw/bolt that seats against the steering shaft.
Thanks for info! But I believe I will find a reputable dealer to align wheels, and recenter steering wheel. It’s a pain having to do it a second time, but I want it done right

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have an early 15' that came from the factory with the crooked wheel. I remember the forum light up with all kinds of reasons for not pulling the wheel.
I made a puller, lined up the wheel and reinstalled it that way. Did that before the rack recall.
Then after the steering rack was replaced, I rode it to a dealer in New Hampshire that did laser alignments to check the manual alignment my dealer did.

I highly recommend the Laser Alignment.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I totally agree with Laser alignment, but you have to make sure they know what they are doing! I just had that done 3 weeks ago, and I’m still looking for a proper alignment!!! And I rode 8 hours round trip, and I’m no better off

·
Registered
816 Posts
I totally agree with Laser alignment, but you have to make sure they know what they are doing!
That's a shame!
We take for granted when people are in the business, they are in the know. Not always the case.

However when I had the laser alignment, the tech told me my front end was within spec.
So the manual job of alignment by my dealer was very good.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,153 Posts
Check with Mike at truelasertrack.com he is the inventor of the system and I guarantee his work is the best.
Ive watched a few other shops do alignments even at Maggie and short cuts are taken because they think its not necessary. Mike is close to Daytona and has been involved in years of racing and alignment. He will tell you to drive it before you pay him and only if your happy. Its worth the drive to me at 4hr one way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Check with Mike at truelasertrack.com he is the inventor of the system and I guarantee his work is the best.
Ive watched a few other shops do alignments even at Maggie and short cuts are taken because they think its not necessary. Mike is close to Daytona and has been involved in years of racing and alignment. He will tell you to drive it before you pay him and only if your happy. Its worth the drive to me at 4hr one way.
Agree! But I’ve looked at his website several times, and his dealer list! However, most that he has listed are NOT doing laser alignments?? I think I will try to call his company, and maybe ride down to his place on the other side of Daytona if he can do it! I took it to a Polaris Dealer that did Laser alignments, but the machine is only as good as the person operating it☹ Thanks.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,153 Posts
You got it. I usually just drive up and stay overnight and drive back next day but I could do it all in one. I did a full review on his work back in 2015 somewhere in here. He is very knowledgeable in this field and you are lucky if you are close enough to drive to him. I’m wanting to take my v8 sling up to him soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 30 of 30 Posts