Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took in my 2016 to dealer for Laser alignment, and to get steering wheel centered! I’m having a problem with it doing the “crab walk” especially when shifting gears under heavy throttle, and it makes the wifey really nervous when it’s pulling towards the center line of the road! Now: Dealer did the alignment, but didn’t center the steering wheel? Is this normally done by removing the steering wheel, changing the location on splines, or should it have been centered during alignment? I had to drive 4 hours one way to dealer, and not going back again for this! Should I try to find another dealer with laser alignment? that will be at least 4-5 hours away☹
I could live with steering wheel off center 15 degrees, but the weaving I have to find a solution! Thoughts?

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
I recently took in my 2016 to dealer for Laser alignment, and to get steering wheel centered! I’m having a problem with it doing the “crab walk” especially when shifting gears under heavy throttle, and it makes the wifey really nervous when it’s pulling towards the center line of the road! Now: Dealer did the alignment, but didn’t center the steering wheel? Is this normally done by removing the steering wheel, changing the location on splines, or should it have been centered during alignment? I had to drive 4 hours one way to dealer, and not going back again for this! Should I try to find another dealer with laser alignment? that will be at least 4-5 hours away☹
I could live with steering wheel off center 15 degrees, but the weaving I have to find a solution! Thoughts?
Are you coming Slingshots in the Smokies? A lot of the guys who will be there can pull the wheel and reset it in the parking lot of the motel in minutes. (I can't but I do know whose that can)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s kind of part of my question ej? Is that how to center the steering wheel on a sling? I work on Harley’s, and pretty handy with tools, so I’m sure I could figure out the wheel puller! Just not sure if that’s correct-best way to do it? I read something about dealer having to reset bank/angle sensor once you move wheel? I don’t think I’m going to make Maggie valley, as much as I’m really wanting too! I’ve made all the big Harley rallies, so now want to try a Sling one Wife said we’re going to Coastal NC in July☹‍♂ Thoughts.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Technically, I believe the mechanic should have centered the steering wheel before starting the alignment process. This Google Search agrees with me - should steering wheel be centered before aligning wheels - Google Search
I had a laser alignment performed by an independent shop who also works on Can Am Spyders. Al;though he centered the wheel as the first step of the alignment, when I left I noticed the steering wheel wasn't centered and since it was raining, I wanted to get home. I later pulled the steering wheel with the wheels pointing straight forward as well as I could and recentered it w/o problem. I haven't had any codes since and it's been just over 1 year since I got the alignment.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I have seen many mechanics put a level on the steering wheel, then align wheels to that? I’m new to the electric power steering program so not sure how it goes? Needless to say the dealer didn’t have a qualified person to work on Slings, even though I ask this because I was riding 4 hours one way to get it done! They assured me he was factory trained! He was a young 4 wheeler mechanic! I ask him personally in a nice way about training, he said he hadn’t had any specific training on slingshots. Explains a lot!!! Thanks again BKL

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
Thanks. I have seen many mechanics put a level on the steering wheel, then align wheels to that? I’m new to the electric power steering program so not sure how it goes? Needless to say the dealer didn’t have a qualified person to work on Slings, even though I ask this because I was riding 4 hours one way to get it done! They assured me he was factory trained! He was a young 4 wheeler mechanic! I ask him personally in a nice way about training, he said he hadn’t had any specific training on slingshots. Explains a lot!!! Thanks again BKL
The shop I used also used a level to center the steering wheel before starting the alignment. I guess that the alignment adjustments must have shifted things slightly.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
If you can get the steering wheel off without moving the front wheels (this is the tricky part) then move it over a spline or two...mostly guesswork...and see if its on straight.

Reactions: Melloreel

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
It was my understanding that the steering wheel can be centered by using the digital tool? I may be all wet for I am recalling this from four years ago, before Polaris did their own alignments, I recall hearing that our dealer at the time would send out the SlingShot to be laser aligned, and then it would be returned to them to recenter the steering wheel? I, personally, would be returning it to the dealer for them to recenter it since that should be part of the alignment?

Bill

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I read something like that before as well, that’s why I posted this to see if someone could confirm procedures! Was not impressed by Dealers staff, and they are 4 hours one way for me! So going to find better option. It just kills me that I made it VERY clear how far I was driving to get it right! They assured me no problem. Well it’s a problem.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
If indeed the steering wheel is centered electronically, if you choose a mechanical means, like removing and reinstalling, then someday down the road if you get the alignment done "correctly", you will have to remove and reinstall the steering wheel again.

Bill

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Yes, you can re-center the wheel by pulling it and centering the splines but if your rig is weaving, it seems like your alignment was not done correctly and you will want to get that done properly before centering the wheel. I have never done an alignment on mine and it tracks perfectly.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If indeed the steering wheel is centered electronically, if you choose a mechanical means, like removing and reinstalling, then someday down the road if you get the alignment done "correctly", you will have to remove and reinstall the steering wheel again.

Bill

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That’s why I wanted to get a definitive answer before doing that! If the wheel was centered when new, then something has changed to make it off center now? Quick way is just pulling the wheel, but with the crawling over the road I think I’m going to find another shop with good reviews, and have it aligned again!! 4-5 hours one way no matter what I do! I called 10 dealers before I settled on the one that didn’t do it right :(
Thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,714 Posts
That’s why I wanted to get a definitive answer before doing that! If the wheel was centered when new, then something has changed to make it off center now? Quick way is just pulling the wheel, but with the crawling over the road I think I’m going to find another shop with good reviews, and have it aligned again!! 4-5 hours one way no matter what I do! I called 10 dealers before I settled on the one that didn’t do it right :(
Thanks guys.
Come over to Maggie Valley for the Rally for the day. There will be at least one doing laser alignments ...

·
Registered
506 Posts
You can also check if the bearings are bad on it by jacking up the front wheel and wiggle the wheels to see any slop or have any movement. Also they did have a steering recall on some of the slings and replace the whole entire steering mechanisms. Hope you find the problem. Sucks when tracking is off.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can also check if the bearings are bad on it by jacking up the front wheel and wiggle the wheels to see any slop or have any movement. Also they did have a steering recall on some of the slings and replace the whole entire steering mechanisms. Hope you find the problem. Sucks when tracking is off.
I checked bearings etc... just to make sure all was good! Only has 4500 miles as well. I will research the recall/TSB as I remember reading something about steering, but I know all the recalls are up to date!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Come over to Maggie Valley for the Rally for the day. There will be at least one doing laser alignments ...
I would love to make that rally, but wife’s family reunion is in July in coastal NC, so she said maybe next year

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Centering the steering wheel is easy while doing the alignment, a lot easier than pulling it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts