Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

361 - 380 of 384 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Had the EPAS flash update done on May 27th....huge difference! Instead of minor 'lane drift' corrections being jerky & over-compensated due to fighting thru the dead spot, minor corrections are now a dream -- VERY smooth. I still have about 3/8" of 'slop' side-to-side from the 12 O'Clock position, but I believe this to be steering linkage slack. With the dead spot issue gone - I don't really care about a small amount of TDC slop.

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Now I wonder if this ECU update was not for me. I just got back from the dealer after having oil changed and I was advised they did not have any record of a pending ECU update for my 2016.5 LE. Should they have known, or was this update for previous models only

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
I had the flash, and issues seemed to go away. They had already order d a replacement EPAS so they installed it... The on/off issues are back with a vengance!!!!

It really sucks in switchbacks when you lose PS and go lock to lock...

Not happy

·
Registered
619 Posts
I had the flash, and issues seemed to go away. They had already order d a replacement EPAS so they installed it... The on/off issues are back with a vengance!!!!

It really sucks in switchbacks when you lose PS and go lock to lock...

Not happy
Almost sounds like it could be a bad electrical connection (i.e. not making good contact in a connector, damaged wire, bad ground, etc.)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Almost sounds like it could be a bad electrical connection (i.e. not making good contact in a connector, damaged wire, bad ground, etc.)
Polaris had him check that that. I can hit bumps and it doesn't make a difference. Seems there is no rhyme or reason. When it happens and they have the computer on it, it loses communication with the epas.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Polaris had him check that that. I can hit bumps and it doesn't make a difference. Seems there is no rhyme or reason. When it happens and they have the computer on it, it loses communication with the epas.
Ahh...thanks for the additional info. Based on that, and the fact that they replaced the entire EPAS assembly, I would be focusing on the ECU as the culprit (unless there are steering-related sensors that were not replaced with the EPAS....sensors could be passing faulty info to the ECU telling it to shut off the EPAS).

·
Registered
873 Posts
Now I wonder if this ECU update was not for me. I just got back from the dealer after having oil changed and I was advised they did not have any record of a pending ECU update for my 2016.5 LE. Should they have known, or was this update for previous models only
it was done on my '16.5.............. Tech plugged her into the computer, typed in the VIN, and downloaded the update

·
Registered
243 Posts

Have you filed a case directly with Polaris .......

If not 1-800-765-2747

The first contact is just a talking head who will assign a case number and read off a script, ask to be pushed up to a rep ......

FYI all conversations are relayed to your dealer ....

This is by far EVERYONES BEST APPROACH to this problem! And a GREAT BIG THANK YOU GOES OUT TO Firetruck for educating me about Texas HAVING a Lemon Law that covers these units!

My issue isnt exaxtly with the "dead spot" in the steering. Mine is dealing with the ESP warning light coming on after the SS is moving for about 30 seconds and then wont go back off! Turning it on and off again WILL make the ESP turn off, but then 30 seconds later its back on for the entire ride!

I will be taking mine back to the dealership tomorrow for the 6th TIME for this same issue! But after reading this entire thread, I followed what Orangeman said about contacting Polaris directly! It seems as if you call them and mention ANYTHING with the word SAFETY it makes them listen, as it should! They even offered to send a truck to my house to two the SS back to the dealership! Also if your State does have a Lemon Law then youre even better protected as a consumer.

The Lemon Law is VERY clear when it comes to these issues many of us are having! After 3 attempts of the dealership trying to fix the same issue and if they cant fix it the Lemon law steps in and then takes over! In many situations the Lemon law will force a dealership to replace the entire vehicle or a full and prompt refund of the money you spent buying it!

So for me, tomorrow will be the LAST time I take my SS back to the dealership for this same issue! I will NOT spend another minute of my time dealing with this crap again! Im so sick and tired of having to deal with an issue that seems to be a simple fix providing that both parties, dealership and Polaris are on the same sheet of music!

My case today that I filed with Polaris went to a gentleman by the name of Jeremy. This guy sounded like he knows the ins and outs with the company very well! He also advised me that once my dealership gets my SS tomorrow they are being advised to call Polaris directly before touching my SS. They want the dealerships tech to be on the phone directly with the Polaris tech department to fix this issue. That to me sounds like a very good course of action by far! I will def come back on here tomorrow to post what all happens at the dealership.

Please, EVERYONE thats having any type of an issue like whats in this thread, contact Polaris directly. I had a very good experience by doing that. Dont get me wrong though either. Meaning, I'm not going to be foolish enough to believe my problem will finally be fixed tomorrow, or maybe it will be. I guess only time will tell for now, stay tuned!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
This is by far EVERYONES BEST APPROACH to this problem! And a GREAT BIG THANK YOU GOES OUT TO Firetruck for educating me about Texas HAVING a Lemon Law that covers these units!

My issue isnt exaxtly with the "dead spot" in the steering. Mine is dealing with the ESP warning light coming on after the SS is moving for about 30 seconds and then wont go back off! Turning it on and off again WILL make the ESP turn off, but then 30 seconds later its back on for the entire ride!

I will be taking mine back to the dealership tomorrow for the 6th TIME for this same issue! But after reading this entire thread, I followed what Orangeman said about contacting Polaris directly! It seems as if you call them and mention ANYTHING with the word SAFETY it makes them listen, as it should! They even offered to send a truck to my house to two the SS back to the dealership! Also if your State does have a Lemon Law then youre even better protected as a consumer.

The Lemon Law is VERY clear when it comes to these issues many of us are having! After 3 attempts of the dealership trying to fix the same issue and if they cant fix it the Lemon law steps in and then takes over! In many situations the Lemon law will force a dealership to replace the entire vehicle or a full and prompt refund of the money you spent buying it!

So for me, tomorrow will be the LAST time I take my SS back to the dealership for this same issue! I will NOT spend another minute of my time dealing with this crap again! Im so sick and tired of having to deal with an issue that seems to be a simple fix providing that both parties, dealership and Polaris are on the same sheet of music!

My case today that I filed with Polaris went to a gentleman by the name of Jeremy. This guy sounded like he knows the ins and outs with the company very well! He also advised me that once my dealership gets my SS tomorrow they are being advised to call Polaris directly before touching my SS. They want the dealerships tech to be on the phone directly with the Polaris tech department to fix this issue. That to me sounds like a very good course of action by far! I will def come back on here tomorrow to post what all happens at the dealership.

Please, EVERYONE thats having any type of an issue like whats in this thread, contact Polaris directly. I had a very good experience by doing that. Dont get me wrong though either. Meaning, I'm not going to be foolish enough to believe my problem will finally be fixed tomorrow, or maybe it will be. I guess only time will tell for now, stay tuned!
Not with standing your legitimate mechanical problem, this reads like you have a real shitty dealer.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Not with standing your legitimate mechanical problem, this reads like you have a real shitty dealer.
Thanks for your comment Mr. Clean! As far as the shity dealer part, well im a little undecided at this point. I haven't got the dealer involved with whats going on in the service department. Maybe thats my fault by not getting them involved and only going through the service department manager, who knows I guess.

Like I said in my other post, Im taking the SS in this morning for them to address this issue again! It all depends what happens in today's visit with what I do from there. The dealership has already met one of the 3 catagories for filing under the Lemon law already! This will actually be the 4 documented trip to the service department for the same issue, which with that issue still hasn't been fixed. So according to the Lemon law thats all I have to prove in order to file under the Lemon law. In Texas a consumer only has to be affected in 1 of the 3 areas. They must meet the guidelines for that area to qualify for the Lemon law.

The 3 areas under the Lemon law for the State of Texas are as follows: you must be without use of your vehicle for a period of 30 days. Those days DONT have to be consecutive. And it also doesn't mean your vehicle has to be held at the dealership for those days to be counted. Its a total of 30 days of no use due to your issue.

The second area that a consumer could try to meet is the "Safety reason". That one is pretty self explanatory and one only has to follow the time frame when trying to qualify for that area.

The last area for the Lemon law is the one where a person has taken their vehicle to the dealership 4 times to fix the same issue with zero success. This is the area that I'm going to file under the Lemon law with my SS. Today marks the 4th documented trip to the dealership today! Its actually been 5 trips for me but I don't think they(dealership) generated any kind of a report with one of my visits. I documented it which is fine as well and it still does count.

The whole aspect with the Lemon law in Texas as well as other States, it involves a certain amount of time. Meaning youll have to wait ONE year after you have met either of the 3 areas to file under the Lemon law. A person has to be prompt at the one year mark and cant be late in filing at that point or you run the risk of NOT getting a full refund of the purchase price of the vehicle which DOES include all sales tax and fees!

When I read of what some of our forum members have put up with, with their issues it drives me nuts and here's why. Many members on here for some reason have resolved to categorizing the SS as an item thats meant to have problems with it. Or rather they have accepted the problems as ownership of the SS. Meaning for some reason they are fine with making multiple trips to the dealership as some right of passage for owning a SS. Thats so far from the truth of owning an SS its not even funny!

We have all paid good hard earned money for our SS. Regardless if many of our issues are growing pains for Polaris or not are a mute issue for sure. As consumers we all have a vested interest in our SS. We all could have bought brand new cars for what we have invested in our SS. Let me put this out there for you all. If you had some of these same issues with a brand new car you purchased, would you be so cavalier to say "well thats just the price you pay to own a Honda or whatever vehicle"? I think NOT!

We all need to be in the mindset that we paid good money to own our SS and take nothing less than excellence from the our owning them! Meaning we should all hold our dealerships as well as Polaris to the highest of accountability for our purchases. Just like the same as we would be doing if we all purchased a brand new car from a dealership, its the same situation. I mean lets face it. Would we all sit around on our butts waiting month after month after month for our radios to work in a brand new car, heck no! Would we all sit around for months dealing with the same issues over and over with a dealership not able or willing to address our needs, HECK NO. So why are so many SS owners sitting back and NOT LETTING THEIR VOICES BE HEARD??

Its time for Polaris and their growing pains to be over! They are a 4.3 Billion Dollar Corporation! They didn't become the giant they are today without US the consumer! Oh, and none of this is a rant either. Its just that I'm sick and damn tired of returning to my dealership all the time for issues. As a SS community we DO HAVE RIGHTS, SO LETS EXERCISE THEM, sling on.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I think you got the wait thing wrong. Lemon Law in Pennsylvania is that you have to file within the first year of ownership

·
Registered
243 Posts
I just pulled up the info that I had read in regard to the a Texas Lemon law, here it goes:

One way to show the dealer has had a reasonable number of attempts to fix a defect is to pass the following tests. Mileage requirements in the tests do not apply to travel trailers.

The Four Times Test
You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership for repair

• twice for the same problem within the first 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever comes first; and
  • twice more during the 12 months or 12,000 miles following the second repair attempt, and
  • the problem continues to exist.
The Serious Safety Hazard Test
A serious safety hazard is a life-threatening malfunction that substantially impedes your ability to control or operate the vehicle normally, or that creates a substantial risk of fire or explosion. You pass this test if you have taken your vehicle to the dealership two or more times for the repair of a serious safety hazard

• once during first 12 months or 12,000 miles, and
  • once more during the 12 months (or 12,000 miles) following the first repair attempt, and
  • the problem continues to exist.
The 30 Day Test
If your new vehicle has been out of service for repair due to a defect that substantially impairs the use or market value of the vehicle due to defects covered by the warranty for a total of 30 or more days during the first 24 months or 24,000 miles, and there were at least two repair attempts during the first 12 months or 12000 miles, and the problem still exists. If no loaner vehicle was provided to you by the dealer during this time period, you pass the test.

It is advisable to contact the Lemon Law Section of the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV) for more specific information and assistance at (888) 368-4689.

How long do I have to file a complaint?
A Lemon Law complaint must be filed within six months following the earlier of:

1. expiration of the express warranty term;
  2. 24 months; or
  3. 24,000 miles following the date of delivery of the vehicle (except TRVs)
In other words, the filing period is determined by which of the above events comes first. To be safe, file your complaint as soon as you realize the dealer is having problems repairing the vehicle.

Even if you have gone past the time limit allowed for a repurchase, the Motor Vehicle Board may still be able to help you get repairs under your vehicle warranty.

Some of this is a little wordy but its not too hard to follow. My SS is at the dealership right now. They are attempting to fix the issue today with the help of Polaris Corp. When I talked to Polaris yesterday, they advised me they would have one of their techs on site and waiting for the dealership to call them so they(Polaris Corp) could walk my dealership through the repair process.

Ive got a NICE JUICY story to post about what happened earlier this morning when I took my SS in for the repair. Some of you will probably GO NUTS when you read what happened earlier! I'm not trying to bait any of you either so you'll come back read what happened earlier this morning. I'm just trying to calm down as well as decide if I should post what all happened this morning. I'll be back later today to post something at any rate, thanks all!

361 - 380 of 384 Posts