Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short of adding a roof to a Slingshot, which I hope to do at some point, what are some tips for staying cool in hot weather while Slingshotting around?

·
Registered
27 Posts
These are new to the market : Ventisit, Ventilated Seat Cushions for the Polaris Slingshot

I'm picking up one in MV.

Others have gone with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CIID1FM/ which is quite a bit cheaper.
These are new to the market : Ventisit, Ventilated Seat Cushions for the Polaris Slingshot

I'm picking up one in MV.

Others have gone with https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CIID1FM/ which is quite a bit cheaper.
Please let us know your opinion of the ventisit.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Short of adding a roof to a Slingshot, which I hope to do at some point, what are some tips for staying cool in hot weather while Slingshotting around?
First off, think motorcycle, how does one stay cool when riding? Though we do not require the heavy leathers and such, it can be fun to check out the various motorcycle accessory websites to see how they are staying cool when wearing such. Mostly, we keep our body covered with light, (both in color and fabric), and airy apparel.

Oh, and we just received an email that our Ventist cushions are on there way!

Otherwise, don't be fooled into thinking that adding a top automatically makes things cooler, especially in stop-n-go traffic, or when slow cruising, where we have found that a top can actually trap heat underneath requiring an alternate means of ventilation to the passenger compartment, (we will be removing our top for most of our summer riding.)

Bill

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks, Wokka! I'd need the thread about the Ventisit, and hope to see one in MV. Had not seen the Zonetech. Looks interesting.

I have recently rediscovered the joys of evaporative cooling. A wet towel across my jeans or across my shoulders and neck, a spray bottle for my arms and face, together with the open air cockpit of a Slingshot, provides far more cooling than I had remembered.

Parking in the shade makes a huge difference, as does angling your seat away from the sun, or even covering it with that wet towel.

Bill, your comment about a top potentially trapping heat is a new concept to me, though I understand what you're saying. However, since little of my Slingshotting is in stop and go traffic (gotta love Middle Georgia vs. Atlanta!), a top is still attractive.

I haven't ridden motorcycles in a long time, but what you're saying about what 2-wheelers wear makes sense. Except for those skull decorations, of course.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I have a wood beaded seat in ym Slingshot I got from Amazon. It has a cloth material surround and hasn't caused any damage to my 2015 molded seats as some folks have reported. I'm thinking about replacing the beaded seat with the Ventisit pad from AllThingsSlingshot.com.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I live in Palm Springs Ca and my slingshot is my daily driver as such I am driving in temps well in excess of 100 degrees most days through summer. One of the things I have found helps keep me cooler and also protects me from the sun are white long sleeve moisture wicking shirts - I bought 5 of these and it was money well spent

Amazon.com: DRI-Equip Long Sleeve Moisture Wicking Athletic Shirts: Clothing

·
Registered
116 Posts
In the past I remember someone posting they put some rubber elbows in to get more air flowing in the cockpit. I can’t find the article. Can anyone help. It was a very simple inexpensive solution.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Around the same time this video was posted someone else posted one that had vents made of small 90 degree rubber hose. It was a little simpler to this one.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Try searching for "cockpit air vent" and you should find several posts about bringing air into the cockpit.

·
Registered
585 Posts
First off, think motorcycle, how does one stay cool when riding? Though we do not require the heavy leathers and such, it can be fun to check out the various motorcycle accessory websites to see how they are staying cool when wearing such. Mostly, we keep our body covered with light, (both in color and fabric), and airy apparel.

Oh, and we just received an email that our Ventist cushions are on there way!

Otherwise, don't be fooled into thinking that adding a top automatically makes things cooler, especially in stop-n-go traffic, or when slow cruising, where we have found that a top can actually trap heat underneath requiring an alternate means of ventilation to the passenger compartment, (we usually remove the top for most of our summer riding.)

Bill
Has anyone thought of mounting two 12 volts fans to the dash like they have in trucks?

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I remember reading where someone installed a bilge fan in one of the air intake hoses they had run into the cockpit to provide some airflow when stopped. Seach for bilge blower or bilge fan.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I installed a small USB-powered unit.Two forward speeds. Might not do much in hot places like Palm Sprngs but work nicely in Bay Area temps. Now if I could just keep in its socket.........

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
How-to time. I went to Google.com and entered "www.slingshotforums.com : elbow". This trells Google to search the specified site for the specified search term. In this case, Google will search www.slingshotfurms.com for the term elbow. I then selected Images so Google would show me pictures and found this link - https://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/cheap-easy-temporary-foot-well-vents.6834/. Sometimes, this method will produce some odd hits, but Google searches generally offer more flexibility than forum searches.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Has anyone tried a computer fan? The 12 volt fans used in computers are inexpensive, reliable, and readily available. In the past, I installed one in the refrigerator/freezer I had on a large boat we lived on to help air circulation. The fans worked flawlessly and lasted a couple of years before failing in a very harsh environment and it ran 24 hours a day.

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I installed an insulated panel to block engine compartment heat from getting into the Infotainment area and have also been thinking about installing a computer fan or 2 to suck additional air into and out of the Infotainment area to ensure my components stay cooler. I just haven't gotten around to it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts