Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So far we have Indiana, Texas, Connecticut and Maryland.

I am fearing now that nothing will be done in Indiana until after the first of the year, if even then! Polaris has had a face-to-face meeting with Indiana weeks ago and still no News! Now we hear they are having a face-to-face meeting with Texas this week. I really don't know too much about Connecticut or Maryland so I can't comment.

Slingshot are now being delivered and those in the above states who have made commitments are left scratching their heads wondering what to do. Do you try to purchase out-of-state and take your chances? Do you get a family member in a different state to purchase for you? Do you just leave your deposit at your dealer indefinitely hoping it'll all get worked out? And if you are able to actually get one of these things, are you going to be legal to drive it or will it simply be impounded?

Some of you (including myself) plan on "going around the system" in order to be one of the first to get this machine. All the paperwork in the world will not help you if you get an officer that is "Hellbent" on the letter of the law. I'm afraid we will find ourselves in situations we would rather not be in.

I consider myself "a law-abiding citizen" and I try to follow the law but when I feel the law is unjust due to a simple "Technicality" I may get a bit feisty. But all the feistiness in the world will still not get my slingshot registered nor titled in my home state and I will constantly be waiting for that ""Hellbent officer"!!!!

I find myself directing this frustration directly toward Polaris.......And why shouldn't I? This is a company who has made promises via advertising that it has not been able to keep.
Dealers, in at least Indiana and Texas, have been authorized to sell at great expense to the dealers and now to the ultimate end-users. The "coming to a dealer near you by November 26th" in itself did not exclude states. We have put a tremendous amount of faith in Polaris and this "Hiccup" should never have happened.

If states had given Polaris "preapproval" to sell the slingshot and it was in writing from the appropriate source, it should've never gotten this far! Polaris legal has to bear the brunt of the blame for not crossing their T's and dotting their I's especially with so much money at stake.

I am truly happy for all of you receiving your slingshots finally! But we in the problem states are beginning to feel like "suckers" sold a bill of goods that may only materialize
In the days, weeks, months or years ahead.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Definitely feel for ya. This situation sucks donkey balls and should be taken care of sooner rather than later. I for one am very worried that this could turn into a trend that could raise its ugly head in other states. So much so that I am wondering what would happen to those owners in any states that do happen to be lucky enough to take delivery, register and then get a letter in the mail from their DMV. That would be even worse. Sometimes it is good to know where you stand even if it sucks donkey balls.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Maine is a popular semi-trailer registration state, due to it's low fees. Many operators pay a fee to a service company, which registers their trailers and renews them yearly for them, using a Maine address. This provides them with a full US legal trailer, and in their case, at a lower cost than registering it the state they reside.

If you were to view this as an opportunity, then I would suggest a friend with a NH address, which also happens to be a sales-tax free state.

pb

·
Registered
215 Posts
This situation will eventually be resolved. My concern is that the insurance companies will use the issue to jack up premiums far beyond what they should be. Ever notice that most insurance companies are home-based on the east coast where the buccaneers and pirates retired to?

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
I'm getting increasingly frustrated here in Texas. Buying a Mini is looking more attractive. At least I know I can register, insure and drive it legally!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Maine is a popular semi-trailer registration state, due to it's low fees. Many operators pay a fee to a service company, which registers their trailers and renews them yearly for them, using a Maine address. This provides them with a full US legal trailer, and in their case, at a lower cost than registering it the state they reside.

If you were to view this as an opportunity, then I would suggest a friend with a NH address, which also happens to be a sales-tax free state.

pb
Yeah but the trailers themselves are legal in every state.
The Slingshot is ILLEGAL to operate in certain states, whether registered or not within that state. The cop who pulls you over and impounds the vehicle will use the line "if you get into an accident and someone gets hurt after I let you go then I am just as liable..."
You can fight it in court and if your pockets are deep you might win.
Just carry around a sleeping bag and a change of clothes for unexpected delays after the vehicle is impounded.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
The Slingshot is ILLEGAL to operate in certain states, whether registered or not within that state. The cop who pulls you over and impounds the vehicle will use the line "if you get into an accident and someone gets hurt after I let you go then I am just as liable..."
Just carry around a sleeping bag and a change of clothes for unexpected delays after the vehicle is impounded.
Show us the legal statutes to back up what your saying.:pompus:

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In my particular case I will be co-owner with my sister who lives in North Carolina. She would have every right to license and register it in her state and I being co-owner would have every right to drive it.

It would seem reasonable that if the slingshot was legally registered and titled in another state and was not altered from the way it came from the factory, it would be perfectly legal to drive it in any state.

Are we going to get stopped by an officer? You bet we are! But will it get impounded or confiscated? I don't think so. Reciprocity between states is there for reason..... To allow citizens to travel between states freely and without undue hardship.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I agree with WingShot. The snafu in Texas is that they qualify as motorcycles under the driving code, but not the vehicle registration statute. That means you can't register them in Texas. It's a whole different matter as to whether you have a valid registration in another state and get pulled over. I'm an OK resident, I don't think Texas can legally prevent me from driving my happy arse to Houston. (full faith and credit remember)

That being said, I aint arguing with the angry armed man who pulls me over. "Thank you sir may I have another..." It'll get resolved, but the bureaucrats have some more jabber jawing to do.

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
Cops can err in writing tickets, but believe they are acting properly in doing so. As the receiver of the ticket, or having a vehicle impounded, it is up to the individual to fight it out in the courts. Even having a copy of the relevant law and showing it to the cop will not always produce the desired result. That's a lot of risk and inconvenience, even if the judge agrees. Will it be worth it is something we each must ask ourselves.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Show us the legal statutes to back up what your saying.:pompus:
Im on your side, but as of this minute they tell me the vehicles are illegal to register for road use.
Go ask the state for the statutes. If the state wants they can hold this up for years in the legal system.
Hey man, Im just the messenger.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
In my particular case I will be co-owner with my sister who lives in North Carolina. She would have every right to license and register it in her state and I being co-owner would have every right to drive it.

It would seem reasonable that if the slingshot was legally registered and titled in another state and was not altered from the way it came from the factory, it would be perfectly legal to drive it in any state.

Are we going to get stopped by an officer? You bet we are! But will it get impounded or confiscated? I don't think so. Reciprocity between states is there for reason..... To allow citizens to travel between states freely and without undue hardship.
Yes, in otherwise LEGAL vehicles.
The stuff you are referring to with "reciprocity" is operator law differences. Stuff like a front license plate, or bumper height, stuff like that. Not vehicles which they deem ILLEGAL to operate at all.
Some states allow stuff like the Razor to be plated LEGALLY. I saw a bunch in Sturgis driving the streets with what appeared to be legal plates. That doesnt mean they drive cross country in them.

That said, Im not gonna play shithouse lawyer along with everybody else. I say go for it. Wont know what happens till you try, just promise to report back to us with the good news or bad.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I agree with WingShot. The snafu in Texas is that they qualify as motorcycles under the driving code, but not the vehicle registration statute. That means you can't register them in Texas. It's a whole different matter as to whether you have a valid registration in another state and get pulled over. I'm an OK resident, I don't think Texas can legally prevent me from driving my happy arse to Houston. (full faith and credit remember)

That being said, I aint arguing with the angry armed man who pulls me over. "Thank you sir may I have another..." It'll get resolved, but the bureaucrats have some more jabber jawing to do.
You can agree with Wingshot all you want. Texas has essentially made the vehicle illegal there.
Tell the cop its ok, and to just go ask Wingshot.

It might take a court battle to press the issue to get some of these states to act, IDK

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
You can agree with Wingshot all you want. Texas has essentially made the vehicle illegal there.
Tell the cop its ok, and to just go ask Wingshot.

It might take a court battle to press the issue to get some of these states to act, IDK
Texas did not make it illegal there, Texas doesn't register or title it THERE.
If LEO pulls you over and gives you a ticket, it is because you broke a law or statute.
What law are you breaking by a non resident driving an SS in Texas that is legally registered in their home state?
Reciprocal States allow these kinds of state differences, now if this vehicle had 10 inch tires and Texas has a statute that only allows 13 inch tires on their roadways, then you would be in violation of their law, like a helmet law.
When an LEO gives you a ticket, their is a statute violation on that ticket and if you choose to take it to the court, you build your case on that statute.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
To add insult to injury, I just got an email from Polaris containing a link to their website urging me to find a dealer near me and build my ride!

I was pretty excited thinking that Indiana finally approve the SS..... NOT!!

Entered my ZIP Code and still got the "we're working on it".

·
Super Moderator
5,846 Posts
Painter I got an email today...was oh so hoping it would say everything was straightened out...to no avail...oh well the waiting game goes on!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Texas did not make it illegal there, Texas doesn't register or title it THERE.
If LEO pulls you over and gives you a ticket, it is because you broke a law or statute.
What law are you breaking by a non resident driving an SS in Texas that is legally registered in their home state?
Reciprocal States allow these kinds of state differences, now if this vehicle had 10 inch tires and Texas has a statute that only allows 13 inch tires on their roadways, then you would be in violation of their law, like a helmet law.
When an LEO gives you a ticket, their is a statute violation on that ticket and if you choose to take it to the court, you build your case on that statute.
OK

·
Registered
109 Posts
Please don't give up on owning a SS in Texas yet! It is very possible that Texas will work things out during the next legislative session which starts in January. I, for one, am going to continue to write, call and just generally bug my Texas representatives, senators and the DMV officials regularly. I encourage all Texans and fellow SS owners to do the same. Texas can't keep the SS off of Texas roads because of reciprocity with other states. What Texas is doing by not allowing titling and registering the SS as a motorcycle in the state is losing a lot of sales tax and annual registration fee revenue as well as hindering the business growth of Polaris dealers all across the state. Money is what motivates political change. When Texas legislators figure out how much they are costing the state in revenue and that this nit-picky "saddle" roadblock is hurting business growth, this situation will be resolved. In the meantime, it is up to potential customers affected by this discriminatory practice to make sure that we are heard LOUD and OFTEN.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Please go to my new thread with the poll "Which TEXAS dealer(s) have you made a deposit with on a Slingshot?" and answer the poll or leave helpful comments...THANKS!

I am currently doing research to aide in the passage of an updated three wheel motorcycle definition which will ensure registration of the Polaris Slingshot in Texas as soon as possible. We are all tired of waiting and this unforseen DMV roadblock regarding the narrow definition of "saddle" as opposed to "seat" certainly took us all by surprise. My goal is to gather enough information and support to persuade our state representatives and senators to move quickly on this issue when the Texas state legislature convenes in January 2015. Polaris has done what they can and I am sure that they will continue to pursue this fervently. However, I believe that it is going to take a grass roots effort by actual Texas voters to get this law changed quickly. I am a private Texas citizen, just like you. I am not selling or advertising for any company.

Step 1 - Please answer the poll "Which TEXAS dealer(s) have you made a deposit with on a Slingshot?"
Step 2 - Post comments regarding amount of your deposit and dealer OTD pricing if you don't mind sharing.
Step 3 - Post name of key contact persons at your Polaris dealership if you would be so kind.
Step 4 - Private message me your contact information such as email and phone number is you don't mind me contacting you directly.

Together we can make this happen!

Thanks in advance for your assistance in this time sensitive matter.

love2udebbiesue

1 - 20 of 91 Posts