Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will start with MO - the rest of you jump in with your state.

(35) "Motorcycle", a motor vehicle operated on two wheels;

(36) "Motorized bicycle", any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having an automatic transmission and a motor with a cylinder capacity of not more than fifty cubic centimeters, which produces less than three gross brake horsepower, and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than thirty miles per hour on level ground;

(37) "Motortricycle", a motor vehicle operated on three wheels, including a motorcycle while operated with any conveyance, temporary or otherwise, requiring the use of a third wheel. A motortricycle shall not be included in the definition of all-terrain vehicle;

·
Registered
215 Posts
New Mexico Motorcycle – Definition: The following statute gives the definition of a New Mexico motorcycle.
§ 66-1-4.11. Definitions
As used in the Motor Vehicle Code:

F. "motorcycle" means every motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, excluding a tractor;

·
Registered
645 Posts
Definition: Kentucky law defines a motorcycle as any motor-driven vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use by the operator and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, but excluding tractors and vehicles on which the operator and passengers ride in an enclosed cab, and excluding a moped.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Indiana (this one has me confused as to why the SS isn't allowed there yet)...

In general, three-wheel motorcycles will have the following characteristics: 1� Three wheels leaving two or three separate tracks during straight line operation. 2� Motorcycle-based conversion or design with: • Handlebar steering • Motorcycle-type controls with the standard layout. Convenience alterations like a single brake pedal or lever control, automatic clutch, or automatic transmission.
• Saddle seating – Seating in which the rider/ passenger straddles the vehicle. – If designed for a passenger, the passenger must be seated behind the operator (or in a separate passenger compartment in the case of a motorcycle with sidecar). 3� Turning diameter of the vehicle at its widest point must be less than 40’. 4� The vehicle meets all applicable federal on-road vehicle standards. The following vehicles are not included in this definition, and therefore testing requirements may not be applicable. Always refer to your state Department of Motor Vehicles, Department of Licensing or other appropriate state regulatory agency for exact regulations regarding testing for: • Automotive hybrids or automotive conversions • Vehicles with automotive controls or seating • Vehicles with front or rear mounted engines (engines must be mounted mid-frame below the rider to be considered motorcycle- based) • Vehicles with enclosed or semi- enclosed riding compartments • Motorcycles or scooters with two close-set wheels in front (contact patches less than 18.1 inches apart) that lean and maneuver like standard, single-track, two-wheel motorcycles or • Vehicles with any other departure from the above standards.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Michigan -- Definition of a Motorcycle
A motorcycle is a two- or three-wheeled motor vehicle with a saddle or seat that can attain speeds greater than 30 mph on a level surface.
Also I found this - A motorcycle endorsement is not required to operate an “autocycle” in Michigan. An autocycle is an enclosed, two- or three-wheeled vehicle with safety belts, a roll bar, a windshield, wipers and a steering wheel. If there is a question as to whether a vehicle is a motorcycle or an autocycle, please contact the Michigan Department of State Driver Testing Section at 517-241-6850.
The above info on autocycles I'm sure was to cover Elio type vehicles

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
THESE ARE THE IC's FOR INDIANA

DEFINITION OF A MOTORCYCLE:
Sec. 108. "Motorcycle" means a motor vehicle with motive power
having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel
on not more than three (3) wheels in contact with the ground. The
term does not include a farm tractor or a motorized bicycle.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.1.

EQUIPMENT:
Handlebars; brakes; footrests; lamps and reflectors
Sec. 2. (a) Except as provided in subsection (b), a motorcycle
operated on the streets or highways by a resident of Indiana must
meet the following requirements:
(1) Be equipped with handlebars that rise not more than fifteen
(15) inches above the level of the driver's seat or saddle, when
occupied.
(2) Be equipped with brakes in good working order on both
front and rear wheels.
(3) Be equipped with footrests or pegs for both operator and
passenger.
(4) Be equipped with lamps and reflectors meeting the
standards of the United States Department of Transportation.
(b) A motorcycle manufactured before January 1, 1956, is not
required to be equipped with lamps and other illuminating devices
under subsection (a) if the motorcycle is not operated at the times
when lighted head lamps and other illuminating devices are required
under IC 9-21-7-2.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7. Amended by P.L.1-1992, SEC.49;
P.L.63-1994, SEC.1.

ENFORCEMENT:

Except as otherwise provided in this article, a person may not operate or move upon a highway in Indiana a vehicle or combination of vehicles that are not constructed or equipped in compliance with this article. As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7. - See more at: http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/incode/9/19/1/9-19-1-4#sthash.uzKz25aT.dpuf

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am concerned about my State of TN.

In TN You must "ride astride, facing forward with one leg on each side of the motorcycle." This sounds like the TX problem.

And it is a Class C misdemeanor to carry a child as a passenger on motorcycle whose feet are not on foot pegs.

So if passenger is under 18 I need them to place their feet on pegs in my slingshot?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I will start with MO - the rest of you jump in with your state.

(35) "Motorcycle", a motor vehicle operated on two wheels;

(36) "Motorized bicycle", any two-wheeled or three-wheeled device having an automatic transmission and a motor with a cylinder capacity of not more than fifty cubic centimeters, which produces less than three gross brake horsepower, and is capable of propelling the device at a maximum speed of not more than thirty miles per hour on level ground;

(37) "Motortricycle", a motor vehicle operated on three wheels, including a motorcycle while operated with any conveyance, temporary or otherwise, requiring the use of a third wheel. A motortricycle shall not be included in the definition of all-terrain vehicle;
This section helps as well:

Riding on motorcycles, additional passenger, requirements.
300.345. 1. A person operating a motorcycle shall ride only upon the permanent and regular seat attached thereto, and such operator shall not carry any other person nor shall any other person ride on a motorcycle unless such motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person, in which event a passenger may ride upon the permanent and regular seat if designed for two persons, or upon another seat firmly attached to the rear or side of the operator.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
WI -
Type 1 Motorcycle:ƒ ƒ A Type 1 motorcycle is a motor vehicle capable of speeds in excess of 30 mph on a dry level hard surface road with no wind, with a power source as an integral part of the vehicle, while carrying ƒ ƒ A 150 lb. operator AND is one of the following:

• Designed and built with two wheels in tandem, seating for the operator and may have a side‑car attached.
OR

• Designed and built to have no more than 3 wheels, seating for the operator and no more than 3 passengers, and does not have the operator area enclosed.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Hey Painter! Are you better? I hope so!!! This does suck but it will be fixed!!!
Thanks DKF for asking! :)

Pretty bummed yesterday and still not feeling good about the whole thing. Will this really get straightened out? If so, when? I have not been without a motorcycle since 15 years old and I'm really getting upset with this whole thing. I justified selling my Harley for less than it was worth to buy the SS. I've always dreamed of this design, almost built one and then BOOM, it was announced. I was one happy guy. Put my deposit down before the Dealer even knew it was coming and have been waiting like the rest of you for delivery. Now ..... more bad news and even more delay.

I don't want to shine the 'spotlight' on me for I am just a 'speck' in this whole scenario. Many, many more of you are going through the same thing and it is disappointing to say the very least. I have communicated with Texas DMV and have written to your legislators. I will help as much as I can but feeling like we've been 'let down' by the Mother Ship here.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
Thanks DKF for asking! :)

Pretty bummed yesterday and still not feeling good about the whole thing. Will this really get straightened out? If so, when? I have not been without a motorcycle since 15 years old and I'm really getting upset with this whole thing. I justified selling my Harley for less than it was worth to buy the SS. I've always dreamed of this design, almost built one and then BOOM, it was announced. I was one happy guy. Put my deposit down before the Dealer even knew it was coming and have been waiting like the rest of you for delivery. Now ..... more bad news and even more delay.

I don't want to shine the 'spotlight' on me for I am just a 'speck' in this whole scenario. Many, many more of you are going through the same thing and it is disappointing to say the very least. I have communicated with Texas DMV and have written to your legislators. I will help as much as I can but feeling like we've been 'let down' by the Mother Ship here.
I have an "insider" working on the Texas thing, hope to know something today. Still early out there, I'll call him in a little while

·
Registered
16 Posts
Pennsyslvania
DEFINITION: A motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, or designed to travel on two wheels in contact with the ground which is modified by the addition of two stabilizing wheels on the rear of the motor vehicle.

PA makes it simple. I'm glad I'm in PA except tomorrow it is going to snow. Oh well I least I will get to have one on the showroom floor. I really fill terrible for the Texas dealers and their customers.

·
Registered
915 Posts
New Jersey, surprising simple and seemingly straight forward:
™ NEW JERSEY’S DEFINITION OF A
MOTORCYCLE
According to New Jersey law, a motorcycle can be a motor bike, a bicycle with a
motor attached or any motor-operated vehicle of the bicycle or tricycle type, except
for a motorized bicycle.
The motor power can be part of the vehicle or attached. The vehicle must have a
saddle or seat for the driver to sit astride or upon, or a platform on which to stand.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Virginia

"Autocycle" means a three-wheeled motor vehicle that has a steering wheel and seating that does not require the operator to straddle or sit astride and is manufactured to comply with federal safety requirements for motorcycles. Except as otherwise provided, an autocycle shall not be deemed to be a motorcycle.

"Motorcycle" means every motor vehicle designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and is capable of traveling at speeds in excess of 35 miles per hour. "Motorcycle" does not include any "autocycle," "electric personal assistive mobility device," "electric power-assisted bicycle," "farm tractor," "golf cart," "moped," "motorized skateboard or foot-scooter," "utility vehicle," or "wheelchair or wheelchair conveyance" as defined in this section.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Colorado:

"42-1-102. Definitions.

(55) “Motorcycle” means every motor vehicle designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, except any such vehicle as may be included within the term “farm tractor” and except a motorized bicycle as defined in paragraph (b) of subsection (59) of this section."

I also found an interesting link on the CO. DMV site that launches an interactive PowerPoint slide set where the user can answer a series of questions to determine if their vehicle is classified as a MC or not in CO.:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDcQFjAD&url=http:// www.colorado.gov/DOR/documents/Definition_Tool_for_Vehicles_with_Three_Wheels_or_Less.pps&ei=T7RjVK6XAovtoAS7uIH4Bg&usg=AFQjCNHEP_jZyJOlkHNwkjBhFEENzKlVcQ&bvm=bv.79189006,d.cGU

Open or save the file locally and then run it in presentation mode in PowerPoint. Answer the questions and voila.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Colorado:

"42-1-102. Definitions.

(55) “Motorcycle” means every motor vehicle designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, except any such vehicle as may be included within the term “farm tractor” and except a motorized bicycle as defined in paragraph (b) of subsection (59) of this section."

I also found an interesting link on the CO. DMV site that launches an interactive PowerPoint slide set where the user can answer a series of questions to determine if their vehicle is classified as a MC or not in CO.:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CDcQFjAD&url=http:// www.colorado.gov/DOR/documents/Definition_Tool_for_Vehicles_with_Three_Wheels_or_Less.pps&ei=T7RjVK6XAovtoAS7uIH4Bg&usg=AFQjCNHEP_jZyJOlkHNwkjBhFEENzKlVcQ&bvm=bv.79189006,d.cGU

Open or save the file locally and then run it in presentation mode in PowerPoint. Answer the questions and voila.
So is the SS a MC in CO based on the slides? I can't download the slides right now and the suspense is killing me. :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts