Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys, I just received a call from Bert’s Mega Mall, where I took ownership of the 1st Polaris Slingshot in the U.S. last Sunday morning. As most of you know I’ve been experiencing issues with stalling at low speeds when shifting from 2nd to 1st gear.

The service agent at Bert’s informed me that Polaris read my initial review on this forum and contacted Bert’s immediately to resolve this issue. Apparently the issue is a “Clutch Micro-Switch” that is faulty. They are shipping Bert’s the part free of charge and have scheduled me a visit for repair. I will post a follow up review after my service appointment to let everyone know if the stalling issue is resolved after the repair.

Kudos to Polaris on this matter!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hey Guys, I just received a call from Bert’s Mega Mall, where I took ownership of the 1st Polaris Slingshot in the U.S. last Sunday morning. As most of you know I’ve been experiencing issues with stalling at low speeds when shifting from 2nd to 1st gear.

The service agent at Bert’s informed me that Polaris read my initial review on this forum and contacted Bert’s immediately to resolve this issue. Apparently the issue is a “Micro Clutch Switch” that is faulty. They are shipping Bert’s the part free of charge and have scheduled me a visit for repair. I will post a follow up review after my service appointment to let everyone know if the stalling issue is resolved after the repair.

Kudos indeed! It is impressive and reassuring that Polaris is tracking new delivery performance and impressions real time. Can't wait to pick mine up tomorrow!

·
Registered
4,124 Posts

The service agent at Bert’s informed me that Polaris read my initial review on this forum and contacted Bert’s immediately to resolve this issue. Apparently the issue is a “Micro Clutch Switch” that is faulty. They are shipping Bert’s the part free of charge and have scheduled me a visit for repair. I will post a follow up review after my service appointment to let everyone know if the stalling issue is resolved after the repair.

That is awesome to hear! There are people watching very closely from Polaris..... :nailbiting::walkingdead::eek:

P.S. Polaris Team - Send out the base model Slingshots to AZ dealers! :D;)

·
Registered
202 Posts

This was may original post intention to make such all of us would get the needed correction before we take the slingshot out on the street.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Micro clutch switch?
Hmmmm...sounds like the safety mechanism so you dont start the thing while its in gear and the clutch isnt in. Im not sure.
Not sure why he doesnt experience problems in every downshift/gear.
Anybody know more specifics on the micro clutch switch??

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Everything I can find online indicates that a "clutch micro-switch" exists to allow you to start the engine while in gear if the clutch is engaged. Some motorcycle riders on the Aprilia and Ducati forums talk about their motorcycles stalling out in first gear at stop lights and needing to replace this switch.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Thanks SM for the update.
A Big Thanks to Polaris for there quick response
on the issue. Nice to know Polaris is going
to stay on top of things concerning the SS.
Should give people more piece of mind upon
getting there SS in hand.
Happy Holidays Everyone.
Take Care.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
It would be great if you could watch them install the "microswitch". I would be interested to know if they hook up to the ECU and reprogram it to fix the issue. Microswitch sounds strange for the issue you described. Throttle position sensor would have been my guess for a actual part to replace. But much more likely a flash to the ECU to correct the opening and closing of the butterfly on the intake.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Not a big concern it is the very same switch you would bypass to install your remote starter. Although who's really going to do that, unless you needed for the defrost in the winter. Anyway not really all that surprised Polaris is a serious company.

·
Vendor
5,419 Posts
Not a big concern it is the very same switch you would bypass to install your remote starter. Although who's really going to do that, unless you needed for the defrost in the winter. Anyway not really all that surprised Polaris is a serious company.
Polaris is, as you stated, a serious company. No one should be surprised, however, their lack of communication causes huge trust issues. When there's no trust, it makes people concerned when anything happens. It's great to see Polaris step up to the plate here. If they do read our posts it's a little disappointing that they haven't resolved at least some of their communication issues.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
My SL is also having rpm issues. In low speeds either in first or second when I put the clutch in, it either acts normal or spikes in either direction by about 1000rpms. Sometimes when to spikes up it hangs at 3000rpms for a few seconds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
My low speed RPM's were a bit irregular also. Shifting from 2nd to 1st while slowing to a stop my RPM's would drop to 200-300. It never did stall. Remember the ECU's comes preset with a map "for all occasions". It will take awhile for the ECU to adapt to you and your location. I don't have a ton of miles on mine, but already the RPM drop has pretty much gone away. Now my RPM's don't fall much below 700-900 during the 2 to 1 downshift.

You might want to give it a couple of hundred miles before you start looking for other causes.

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
My low speed RPM's were a bit irregular also. Shifting from 2nd to 1st while slowing to a stop my RPM's would drop to 200-300. It never did stall. Remember the ECU's comes preset with a map "for all occasions". It will take awhile for the ECU to adapt to you and your location. I don't have a ton of miles on mine, but already the RPM drop has pretty much gone away. Now my RPM's don't fall much below 700-900 during the 2 to 1 downshift.

You might want to give it a couple of hundred miles before you start looking for other causes.

I have almost a 1000 miles already and it still does it. I took it to the dealer and they sent a request to Polaris.

·
Registered
474 Posts
@SlingMods,
Did they get or micro switch replaced ? Did it fix it ?
Mine is dropping to very low RPM's at times when dressing the clutch coming to a stop. It was just posted as:

2. Throttle stammering - hasn't died on me yet but it is there. Seems like an ECU update would cure it.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.