Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys Im building a Stainless Exhaust setup for the Slingshots. I have a laser cut flange to bolt to the factory manifold and they will be full tig welded. We do a ton of auto and watercraft parts and just getting into these new toys.

My big question and this is where a forum like this can help is what muffler to run? I have been looking over the chevy boards for muffler info and clearly there is a ton of turbo info out there. For forced air setups I know. But just looking for what muffler makes the most owed on these motors NA.

Clearly with no Cat this will be a "for off road use only" or "for competition use only"

So what have you guys read on muffler combos for this motor?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Now were talking.

Just find something non ricey please!

Maybe just a cat delete and small straight through rezzie......

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
For a lightweight, low backpressure and pretty nice sound, the Aero Turbine muffler has worked pretty good on several of my projects. Available with a built in resonator or without. looks nice too, shaped like a short fat glass pack.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I haven't had a opportunity to hear how loud the SS is, but I wonder how a louder exhaust would help you get noticed in traffic, "Loud pipes save lives on bikes" an adage that was associated with riding motorcycles, and saved my ass a few times while out riding. A possible safety device?

·
Registered
513 Posts
When I heard the engine start up, I could hear a decent rumble out of the exhaust system. I don't want my SS to sound like a Honda Civic with coffee mug exhausts..

·
Registered
619 Posts
Yes. I won't be buying mods just because they are available. I want to see the improvement data based on valid testing.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes. I won't be buying mods just because they are available. I want to see the improvement data based on valid testing.
Yep thats what we do. We have been in this game a long time. R&D is what its all about. and We may not be the first to have it out there. But we will be the best.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Cat and stock muffler are all 1 unit
I've read that many times too, but that's not what it looks like below; see item 4 below.

1 7043726 SPRING, EXHAUST, SS 6 USAGE
2 1262645 ASM., RESONATOR, INT. CAT. 1 USAGE
3 3610211 SEAL, EXHAUST, SOCKET 2 USAGE
4 1262409 ASM., CATALYST, EXHAUST 1 USAGE
5 24505057 GASKET, EXHAUST, GM 1 USAGE
6 11516328 SCREW, GM

·
Vendor
118 Posts
In order to keep away from getting that Honda civic flavor exhaust, you will need to find a quality baffled muffler that still flows nicely.

If it were up to me, i would upgrade the header, ditch the cat and leave the stock muffler in place. That should give you a good tone without becoming too Fast and furious.

That was the setup i had on my cobalt and it worked perfectly.

·
Registered
686 Posts
I thought I saw a pic recently of the exhaust manifold and it looked pretty darn good, almost like headers with real runners.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
What would it sound like with just straight pipes? I don't think I've ever owned a four-cylinder!

·
Registered
50 Posts
What would it sound like with just straight pipes? I don't think I've ever owned a four-cylinder!
I own a Harley and a Viper and when the SS rolled out of the delivery truck today I couldn't tell it was running. I know it will not stack up against my current toys and don't expect it to but I need something louder than this.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Here's what I have in mind if it's too quiet!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Here's what I have in mind if it's too quiet!

I was 6 when I did the same to my bike and fell in love with the rumble it made and I just turn 60 and haven't grow out of it I guess. Where would you suggest I strap them on my new Grey SS with it's Red SL upgrades. ( Best of both worlds " Faster and Good looking " now I just need the sound to go with it )

1 - 20 of 47 Posts