Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I just recently purchased a 2021 Slingshot S, and felt like it lacked the power I was looking for (I know SS isn't made for power and all, but still felt very slow). I proceeded to buy the stage 1 tune which adds about 25 HP. To me, 25HP was not much, but I figured I'd somewhat be able to feel it due to the vehicle being extremely light in weight. Do y'all think this was a dumb purchase, or do you guys think it will be noticeably more powerful?

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
That tune basically turned your base motor into the R-spec motor. In terms of reliability, that's probably the best option for improved performance. Adding boost will add more HP, but also comes with the risk of motor problems is anything goes wrong. The extra performance from the tune may change the point at which you need to shift for best performance.
If I were in a position to buy a new Slingshot, I'd go with the S model and add the Paddle shift option and the Tune you purchased. R model performance for far less money!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That tune basically turned your base motor into the R-spec motor. In terms of reliability, that's probably the best option for improved performance. Adding boost will add more HP, but also comes witht he risk of motor problems is anything goes wrong. The extra performance from the tune may change the point at which you need to shift for best performance.
If I were in a position to buy a new Slingshot, I'd go with the S model and add the Paddle shift option and the Tune you purchased. R model performance for far less money!
Perfect!! Just the answer I was looking for! I was debating whether or not I’d even feel the extra 25 horse, but I think you answered that very well! Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
600 for the tune itself and 125 in labor. Will I feel the difference? I scheduled to get it done in November
My 2021 SL is going in for the tune on Tuesday. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm thinking it will be a decent change in power, 25hp in a 1600lb machine should make a pretty big difference

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Unlike the GM motor in the Gen 1 Slingshots which revved more like a conventional econobox, the Polaris motor revs much higher and produce peak HP at significantly higher rpms, so remember to shift the motor like you're riding a sport bike and take advantage of the higher rpm tune for max enjoyment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can report that the tune made a ridiculous amount of difference. Before I couldn’t get it to break the tire loose in a straight line at full throttle at any rpm. Now it’ll burn the tire at will any time over about 4K rpm even in 3rd gear with the traction control on(mine is an manual) It’s a complete animal over 4K RPM now for sure! It’s revs so much faster now too and even seems to have a different sound. I would recommend it to anyone that didn’t go with the R model, it’s worth every penny if you want more power.

·
Registered
21 slingshot SL
14 Posts
I purchased the tune at same time I purchased my ‘21 SL. They were not able to “install” until a few weeks later so I got the chance to drive it with the base tune for almost a month and now it’s been a few months with the stage 1 tune. I could feel the difference but I would not say it was huge. However, unlike the gm engine there really is no other other way to increase power. Bottom line, I’m happy with the purchase and their really is no other option that I am aware of.
I also added the paddle shifters and I’d recommend that upgrade as well!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased the tune at same time I purchased my ‘21 SL. They were not able to “install” until a few weeks later so I got the chance to drive it with the base tune for almost a month and now it’s been a few months with the stage 1 tune. I could feel the difference but I would not say it was huge. However, unlike the gm engine there really is no other other way to increase power. Bottom line, I’m happy with the purchase and their really is no other option that I am aware of.
I also added the paddle shifters and I’d recommend that upgrade as well!
It's not a huge difference under 4k but the real power difference for me is felt between 4-8k RPMs. You really have to rev this motor to get the power out of it. It loves high RPMs. I'm not sure if the automatic lets you easily get the revs that high, I've not had any experience with one so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
21 slingshot SL
14 Posts
It's not a huge difference under 4k but the real power difference for me is felt between 4-8k RPMs. You really have to rev this motor to get the power out of it. It loves high RPMs. I'm not sure if the automatic lets you easily get the revs that high, I've not had any experience with one so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
With the paddle shift option I can rev it to the red line and keep it there until you pull on the upshift paddle

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hello guys,

I just recently purchased a 2021 Slingshot S, and felt like it lacked the power I was looking for (I know SS isn't made for power and all, but still felt very slow). I proceeded to buy the stage 1 tune which adds about 25 HP. To me, 25HP was not much, but I figured I'd somewhat be able to feel it due to the vehicle being extremely light in weight. Do y'all think this was a dumb purchase, or do you guys think it will be noticeably more powerful?
I purchased the tune before I picked it up from the dealer when it was new. so I never got to drive it with the lower HP. always wondered if the extra HP would be significantly felt

1 - 15 of 15 Posts