Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
2,333 Posts
Received mine with quite a bit of red overspray on it also........Decided to just take my time and carefully tape it off...... sprayed my screen black..........Happy with the outcome.......Nice product..... Although be sure and tape the bottom rear shock mounting bolt off with masking tape to reduce the chance of scratching the belt guard cover during install...........:)

View attachment 29824 View attachment 29825 View attachment 29826 View attachment 29827
Looks great, ....... there was something I didn't like about it .... turns out it was the silver screen........that simple change made it into a product I would buy........

·
No more mods!!! ok.. just one
153 Posts
I painted the screen black, partially because mine came with overspray (sounds like a common problem, how did SSV ship them like that, the overspray is obvious) and also because I wanted to paint the back side black before I installed it. It really changed the look of the cover. Since we are talking about QC here, I thought SSV could have done a little more sanding during the painting processd. The surface was not bad enough to return, since you have to look close to see the imperfections, but I expected a little more from SSV.

·
out of POSER Status-Almost in the BIG BOY clique'
1,478 Posts
Can anyone post a pic of there SSV guard? Mine won't go on, Afraid to force.. I have had custom bikes and good with aftermarket accessories, and this item is tough...?

UPDATED:

Went to put on and no way in hell this will work...YES it does with force and cracking/ snapping noise's:eek:. Top screw is 1/2" from hole (stock guard to SSV measurements) gotta pull cover quite a bit to line up and screw won't go into top hole?-Had to ream hole. If I try to force anything guards gunna snap..-Nothing snapped, but paint flaked it a few areas and this was a scary accessory to install.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Can anyone post a pic of there SSV guard? Mine won't go on, thinking one I received is for another vehicle. I have had custom bikes and good with aftermarket accessories..
Went to put on and no way in hell this will work. Top screw is 1/2" from hole (stock guard to SSV measurements) and back of guard can't go anymore because it hits shock assy & nut. Body @ that point is as tight as it can go to swingarm & the bottom "flare/point" will be in pulley (even with the supplied washers to shim) If I try to force anything guards gunna snap.

If anyone can Provide pic I should be able to tell whats up pretty easy..

Thanks
I was told when I ordered in Dec. that you had to bend , to get to fit. That they would not ship anymore until corrected, that is why I had to wait until now to receive. When did you get yours?

·
1,478 Posts
This one I got about a month ago (been a long process-leave it @ that)...Yeah, I got guard on, but NOT TRUSTING IT! Paint flaked, it sounded horrible..I thought for sure it was gunna break. tolerance's are ridiculously tight. You are 100% right on bending/forcing never had a aftermarket part I had to fight like this. Also had to ream the top hole bigger! Screw wouldn't even go into hole! It's on, I like the look, that's why I stuck w/ SSV...ALPHA guard was real close to being purchased!!

**And directions say nothing about pulling/ forcing guard

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
This one I got about a month ago (been a long process-leave it @ that)...Yeah, I got guard on, but NOT TRUSTING IT! Paint flaked, it sounded horrible..I thought for sure it was gunna break. tolerance's are ridiculously tight. You are 100% right on bending/forcing never had a aftermarket part I had to fight like this. Also had to ream the top hole bigger! Screw wouldn't even go into hole! It's on, I like the look, that's why I stuck w/ SSV...ALPHA guard was real close to being purchased!!

**And directions say nothing about pulling/ forcing guard
Maybe they have it fixed, I will let you know as soon as my get's here, and I try to install

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
Can anyone post a pic of there SSV guard? Mine won't go on, Afraid to force.. I have had custom bikes and good with aftermarket accessories, and this item is tough...?

UPDATED:

Went to put on and no way in hell this will work...YES it does with force and cracking/ snapping noise's:eek:. Top screw is 1/2" from hole (stock guard to SSV measurements) gotta pull cover quite a bit to line up and screw won't go into top hole?-Had to ream hole. If I try to force anything guards gunna snap..-Nothing snapped, but paint flaked it a few areas and this was a scary accessory to install.

Thanks
Try putting the bottom screw in first then try to line up the top one. I had to use the two washers in the bottom.

·
1,478 Posts
Try putting the bottom screw in first then try to line up the top one. I had to use the two washers in the bottom.
I caught the middle screw and then fought the top...I to had to use the washers or guard would of rubbed also...Guard almost TKO'd me , but I kept fighting!;)

·
WHAT HAPPENED HERE?
2,221 Posts
Was thinking about getting this, but sounds like the quality isn't that great.

·
WHAT HAPPENED HERE?
2,221 Posts
Seems like fitment and finish issues.

·
Registered
688 Posts
I'm late to this party, but @Joker is correct, I had to do the same thing when I installed mine. I thought the thing was either gonna go flying across the garage or break. Once I had it in place and the fasteners started, everything tightened down without breakage, and I haven't had any issue with it cracking or loosening since then. It is scary as hell when you try to install it, and I think the they (SSV) should try to adjust their mold or jig for a better fit. They're still one of the best looking belt guards out there IMHO :):)

·
Registered
249 Posts
Received mine with quite a bit of red overspray on it also........Decided to just take my time and carefully tape it off...... sprayed my screen black..........Happy with the outcome.......Nice product..... Although be sure and tape the bottom rear shock mounting bolt off with masking tape to reduce the chance of scratching the belt guard cover during install...........:)

View attachment 29824 View attachment 29825 View attachment 29826 View attachment 29827
Nice! The mesh looks much better black!

·
Registered
688 Posts
Almost bought this last night.... I guess I'll wait and see. Thanks for the heads up!
Good idea @slayer. I would've thought that by now, SSV would have made some changes to their process and corrected these issues. Seems like it might have been relatively easy to do some process improvement, and give potentially new customers the warm & fuzzies about dropping their hard earned cash on SSV products???????????..........but then again, what do I know??????? ;):confused:;)

Reactions: slayer

·
1,478 Posts
Greg from SSV has/ was VERY helpful, others never called back which was a thumbs down. If I deal with SSV again it's Greg or bust. Again , nice looking guard, but I'm afraid If I hit a bump or something it cracks? I'm gunna have to check it after the first few rides. Didn't like the noises during install, hoping there's no hairline breaks I can't see???

·
Slingshot Aficionado
1,486 Posts
Greg from SSV has/ was VERY helpful, others never called back which was a thumbs down. If I deal with SSV again it's Greg or bust. Again , nice looking guard, but I'm afraid If I hit a bump or something it cracks? I'm gunna have to check it after the first few rides. Didn't like the noises during install, hoping there's no hairline breaks I can't see???
Pictures??

21 - 40 of 47 Posts