Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Disruptive --> IG /Facebook
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will start with a little history: In December of 2015 I ordered The sub box from SSV. In the box they included a brochure with a Slingshot next to an airplane that had speakers behind the headrest and I immediately called them. They informed me that they were in the process of making the mold for it and that it will be done soon... :)
That changed my installations plans a bit. :smug: Instead of a 3 channel amp I got a 5 channel amp 2 front / 2 rear and sub. I installed everything and wired the rear channel to where the pods would be...:smuggrin:

After that I called SSV almost every month asking about the pods... I must have driven them crazy. :banghead:
But they were super cool about it and provided me an update each and every time.;)

December 2016, out of nowhere I got a call from a 818 area code... "This is SSV calling to inform you that the rear speaker pods for the slingshot are complete..."

I receive the package and this is what I got:

My first impression was, wow. This was really well built. The pods look and feel SOLID. The quality of the pods are outstanding.
The package comes with everything you need and with instructions that are pretty clear even for someone who has never done an install.;)

Compared side by side:

I followed the instructions and proceeded to test the fitment... Absolutely NO ISSUES.

Then completed the install on the passenger side.

The driver side adds just one step, the gas cover, but is super easy. Even a 5 year old can do it.

Now, the good stuff....:)

The sound is amazing. :cool: It really feels the much needed music sound on the slingshot. It is loud and clear :wideyed:.

At stand still I found myself lowering the radio because of how loud it was using the same volume that I used before.

I set the audio at the same level that I had issues hearing before at 70mph and I had no problem listening to my music.:headphone:

Overall I rate the product A+.

It was without a doubt worth waiting for. Do I recommend this? Hell YEAH. You will be happy.;)

A huge thanks to SSV for such a great product.

@[email protected]

·
Registered
92 Posts
Great review. I've installed my speakers into the pods, and next step is of course mounting to the sling. Question, how do you run the speaker wires?

My gut says pull the back panel (in front of the rear tire), and run down by the gas tank and into the area under the seat. I am hoping you do not have to go down the back though, as I installed the Corbin saddlebags and it is a little tougher than it used to be to remove the top and rear panels. In fact, will have to pull the bags off....

Appreciate knowing how you ran them before I give it a shot tomorrow.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Awaiting my set now.

Great job on pressuring them to get these done. Your install looks like it was trouble free and turned out great.

Can you comment on the finish of the pods? Is it different from their other pods? How does it compare to the factory finish?

Reactions: dqsling

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Well now I'm confoosed. You show the speakers as part of what you received while the Cycle Springs site clearly indicates speakers not included. Can you clarify? Great review and those are really sharp! Are you going to sell the carbon fiber pieces you removed?

·
Registered
827 Posts
Well now I'm confoosed. You show the speakers as part of what you received while the Cycle Springs site clearly indicates speakers not included. Can you clarify? Great review and those are really sharp! Are you going to sell the carbon fiber pieces you removed?
Direct from SSV works you can order them with speakers. Don't forget to use the forum coupon code for 10% off.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Thanks 2-dub. Another question: will these speakers work with the stock infotainment system or is an amp required?
I don't have the stock system and unfamiliar with the amp limitations Polaris used. Hopefully someone with stock system knowledge will chime in.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks 2-dub. Another question: will these speakers work with the stock infotainment system or is an amp required?
Same question ... I don't even know, and so far haven't been able to track down, the specifications on the factory head unit/amp set up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Awesome! Thanks for the review. I was considering adding this to my setup. Quick question, do the pods stick out more behind the arch compared to the original pieces? I am considering getting the Alpha Luggage racks for trips, but fear that it won't be able to mount flush if the pods are sticking out.

Do you have rear mount comparisons? Or a side profile pic of how much it sticks out so I can compare to my current stock ones?

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
If you really want to use your stock infotainment system w/o adding an amp, your bet bet is to disconnect the stock front speaker pods and extend the wiring to the appropriate rear speaker. Or, just buy a new amp, either 4 channel to handle the front and rear speaker pods or a 5 channel unit if you want to add a sub-woofer. Of course, adding the amp will also get you into adding a new fuse block and the associated wiring. Slingmods sells a kit to add a new fuse block with all of the wiring needed (Polaris Slingshot Fuse Block with Wiring Harness) or a fancy new phone-controlled unit (Polaris Slingshot SmartPhone Controlled Bluetooth Enabled Power Distribution Box) with optional wiring harness.
Forgot to add that you should look for an amp that supports both RCA and speaker line inputs. The factory infotainment unit doesn't have RCA outputs and you need the speaker line inputs to connect the speaker output from the dash unit to the amp. Having the RCA inputs gives additional flexibility if you change dash units in the future.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Same question ... I don't even know, and so far haven't been able to track down, the specifications on the factory head unit/amp set up.
U do and will need a amp

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I got ,my rear hump pods today! Now I will have front, side and sub along with the new rear hump pods.. Cant wait to install and hook up!

Reactions: XXX 74

·
Registered
61 Posts
U do and will need a amp
If you took out the front pods, which are garbage any way, and just used the back pods it would work with the stock head unit. But anymore then two 6.5 speakers will need an amp. My stock head unit does a pretty good job with the ssv front pods I have with 6.5 60 RMS speakers in it. That being said, I am going to add an amp and the rear hoop pods for 4 speakers total.

·
Registered
61 Posts
If you really want to use your stock infotainment system w/o adding an amp, your bet bet is to disconnect the stock front speaker pods and extend the wiring to the appropriate rear speaker. Or, just buy a new amp, either 4 channel to handle the front and rear speaker pods or a 5 channel unit if you want to add a sub-woofer. Of course, adding the amp will also get you into adding a new fuse block and the associated wiring. Slingmods sells a kit to add a new fuse block with all of the wiring needed (Polaris Slingshot Fuse Block with Wiring Harness) or a fancy new phone-controlled unit (Polaris Slingshot SmartPhone Controlled Bluetooth Enabled Power Distribution Box) with optional wiring harness.
Forgot to add that you should look for an amp that supports both RCA and speaker line inputs. The factory infotainment unit doesn't have RCA outputs and you need the speaker line inputs to connect the speaker output from the dash unit to the amp. Having the RCA inputs gives additional flexibility if you change dash units in the future.
Clarion has an amp on Amazon that should check all these boxes. It is 300 amp, has speaker level and RCA inputs and is about 75 bucks and marine grade. Unless someone tells me there is a better choice I am going that way. Only problem I see with it is, it won't support a sub, but I need my cubbies too much anyway for those.
Screenshot_20170107-200956.jpg

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
I can't remember why I picked the XC2410 over the XC1410, but the XC1410 appears to be a reasonably priced amp for what it does. Amazon doesn't list the XC1410 as a marine unit for exposure to the elements which might be why I decided on the XC2410. Amazon lists bothe XC2410 and 2510 aps as marine grade. As long as the XC1410 is mounted in a reasonably dry position where it is protected from exposure to water, it should be OK.
The Clarion XC2410 unit is listed on Clarion's website as a 4/3/2 channel amp, which usually means it can support 2 front channels and 2 rear channels, or it can support a Left and Right Channel + a sub-woofer (2+1 or 3 channel mode), or it can provide more power to just a left and right channel (bridged 2 channel mode). Unfortunately, I haven't found any method of connecting the amp in its 2+1 mode. The manual for the XC2410 is the same manual Clarion supplies for the XC2510. The manual shows the XC2410 connected to 4 channels or in bridged 2 channel mode. The XC2510 is shown connected in 5 channel (4 channels + sub-woofer) or bridged 2 channel + sub-woofer. I bought the XC2410 thinking I could use it to power either four channels (Left Front, Left Rear, Right Front, Right Rear) or in 3 channel mode (Left, Right + sub-woofer). If I can't figure out how to hook it up in 3 channel mode, I'm going to be a little disappointed.
I've had my equipment for awhile now and am finally getting around to trying to get everything installed. Good luck with your install.

·
Disruptive --> IG /Facebook
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im glad a lot of you liked the review...

I will try to answer all the questions that have not been already answered.

Great review. I've installed my speakers into the pods, and next step is of course mounting to the sling. Question, how do you run the speaker wires?

Appreciate knowing how you ran them before I give it a shot tomorrow.
I ran the wires from the front. I pre-wired the pods when I was installing the sub and the amp. I never touched the rear outside panels.

Awaiting my set now.

Great job on pressuring them to get these done. Your install looks like it was trouble free and turned out great.

Can you comment on the finish of the pods? Is it different from their other pods? How does it compare to the factory finish?
Man, I must have called 10 times asking for the same thing. But those guys were awesome and provided me with an update each time. Not only that, they took my number and actually called me when the pods were ready. Who does that these days?
The install was super easy. Only took around 1hour and that was with me stopping to take pictures for the review.
About the finish: It is very solid, Heavy and I would say thick. I cannot compare to any other pods they make because I do not have those pods. As compared to the factory finish: it looks like it belongs there. Does not alter the feel and finish of the Slingshot.

I got them direct from SSV. The ones I removed are the stock ones that were wrapped in carbon. It would be cheaper for anyone to wrap theirs vs buying mines.

Not sure. I have an amp. I suggest getting an amp anyways because you will need a sub.

Awesome! Thanks for the review. I was considering adding this to my setup. Quick question, do the pods stick out more behind the arch compared to the original pieces? I am considering getting the Alpha Luggage racks for trips, but fear that it won't be able to mount flush if the pods are sticking out.

Do you have rear mount comparisons? Or a side profile pic of how much it sticks out so I can compare to my current stock ones?
I do not have a profile picture but the pods do not stick out much and if you look at the picture of both units side by side from the top, you can see that the stock ones stick out more towards the back...

If you took out the front pods, which are garbage any way, and just used the back pods it would work with the stock head unit. But anymore then two 6.5 speakers will need an amp. My stock head unit does a pretty good job with the ssv front pods I have with 6.5 60 RMS speakers in it. That being said, I am going to add an amp and the rear hoop pods for 4 speakers total.
I respectfully disagree. The stock pods are good, The stock speakers are not. Some people will also argue that the stock head unit is not good. However I never had an issue with it and I am happy with the sound.
I kept the stock pods and upgraded all the speakers but kept the 6 speakers front set up. I now have 8 speakers and a sub for a total of 9. It can be a little more expensive but that was my preference.
There are other pods options available out there.

Cheers !

·
Registered
101 Posts
That Clarion amp is nowhere near 300W. MAYBE 25W per channel, at most.

As for the rear pods. I never saw a picture with the seat back in it's right position.

And the stereo is so much louder? Yes, that's what happens when speakers are 3" from your ears.

The OEM system has very poor imaging and very little power. It's horrible (as people say) because there's a terrible signal and little to no power. Without those 2 things, a stereo is nothing. Adding more speakers to the infotainment system will make it worse if there's not an amplifier. Even then if you've added an amp, it's still a low preout voltage and distorted signal.

·
Registered
344 Posts
We are leaving the pods empty at this time as so many of you have your own preference in speakers. We will still beat any competitors price on these. Great write up on the install.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts