Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my 2016 SS give me clicking noises and won't start. I used the tender and it started but I new I was immature off away from getting stranded. Any home and turned it off and sure enough would not start. Anyvthoughts on what it could be? Thanks Alyx

·
Registered
589 Posts
Hi all, my 2016 SS give me clicking noises and won't start. I used the tender and it started but I new I was immature off away from getting stranded. Any home and turned it off and sure enough would not start. Anyvthoughts on what it could be? Thanks Alyx
Replace the battery. Check your mods something may be always on as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Replace the battery. Check your mods something may be always on as well.
No mods yet. Now worried about getting any. Really battery with just over 1k miles on it? Is it just me that thinks that is crazy.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
No mods yet. Now worried about getting any. Really battery with just over 1k miles on it? Is it just me that thinks that is crazy.
That is crazy. I have a 2015 Base Model with over 25k miles on it and have not changed out the battery. But, 2015's have bigger batteries then newer models if I understand correctly.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
If the Slingshot is a 2016 the battery is 2+ years old. Even with the key "OFF' the electrical system still drains power. I was driving mine every day and have 43,000 miles and left the under glow lights on one evening and that was just enough to kill a battery... 2016 Slingshot.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
That is crazy. I have a 2015 Base Model with over 25k miles on it and have not changed out the battery. But, 2015's have bigger batteries then newer models if I understand correctly.
The battery change came with the 2016.5 (mid year) model change...2015 & 2016 had the same battery.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
Extended high or low temps can cause a battery to fail. I had a 2010 Mazda CX-7 that ended up needing a new battery every year. My 2013 Ford Edge has needed 2 batteries in 4 years. I assume it was our extended summer heat that cooked them.

·
Registered
4,943 Posts
Extended high or low temps can cause a battery to fail. I had a 2010 Mazda CX-7 that ended up needing a new battery every year. My 2013 Ford Edge has needed 2 batteries in 4 years. I assume it was our extended summer heat that cooked them.
Northern Indiana -30 degree wind chill doesn't help them either.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Do yourself a favor and check the battery terminal connections, make sure they are tight. There has been more than one person have issues with the battery only to find the terminals were loose.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
What is the technical nomenclature of the newer smaller battery? I know the larger battery could be replaced by a Series 34 battery, but what class battery is the newer one?

·
Registered
166 Posts
It could definitely be the battery. I have a 16 with 40k and have not replace the battery. I have had to jump start it many times because of lights left on, playing the radio, installing led lights. Still going.

·
Registered
989 Posts
While a bad battery is not out of the equation, I would first look a the connections at the battery. You can get a load test done for free at Napa to see if the battery is good yet. The next spot to check if the battery checks would be the connection at the starter, at that point it also continues to the alternator.

I knew I would be adding a lot of accessories so I upgrade the puny battery to a yellow top Optima and, I upgraded the alternator to a 240 amp with 2 gauge battery cables right back to the battery. I also made a ground wire that runs from the alternator, to the block, then the frame and back to the battery as well.

If I listen to the stereo (1500 amp set up) with the key turned to accessory I can watch the volts drop very quickly even with my set up.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank u everyone for ur replies. My SS is 2016 not 2016.5. We are on an Island in Southern Texas. We did have a few days of unusually cold weather. I went to the dealership down here today and he agrees it's very odd. Drove it 2 days in a row and third day I get the clicking sound. When I tried to put the tender on the positive was sparking. It was not plugged into the wall and the 2 wires were disconnected. The battery is tight. Today it had finally died enough I was able to put the tender on without feeling like I was gonna blow myself up. I have the seat belt problem also so planning on taking it in tomorrow. It's been in the 60's when I drove it. It is always kept in the garage. He did mention the dry air and static. I told him my hair generates static :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK u were all, right. I took the tender off and drove straight to the shop. Went to drive it around back and it would not start. Battery only has 60% life so needs new battery. None in stock so they are taking one off a SS that just arrived. So our 3 or 4 days of 30 degrees did this, it's just crazy. Now afraid to-do electrical mods.

·
Registered
589 Posts
OK u were all, right. I took the tender off and drove straight to the shop. Went to drive it around back and it would not start. Battery only has 60% life so needs new battery. None in stock so they are taking one off a SS that just arrived. So our 3 or 4 days of 30 degrees did this, it's just crazy. Now afraid to-do electrical mods.
Those things just happen and once you make the change, it may not happen again.

·
Registered
989 Posts
You will be fine to add accessories, keep in mind that you have 120 amps from the stock alternator which is pretty good, many vehicles have half of that amount. If the engine is running your battery will stay charged. Like I said, I pull a lot of amps with my stereo equipment etc but even then the alternator kept up. I upgraded because I did the math and could see that I might exceed the alternators output. One thing for sure, save up and put a full size battery in at some point, the little guy have very little capacity so easy to run down even if just playing the stock stereo with the engine off.

·
Registered
5,326 Posts
I bought one of these charger/tenders - 12V 6A LCD Display Smart Fast Battery Charger for Car Motorcycle US Plug, but got it on sale for even less than the link price. I had an older trickle charger designed for typical motorcycle batteries, but it wouldn't work on regular size batteries, so I tried this one. Don't know how long it will last, but I've used it several times and like how it shows the battery's Charge percentage, battery Voltage level and how many Amps it's feeding to the battery. Feels very lightweight in its plastic housing, but like I posted, it's worked for me several times.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts