Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am all a twitter awaiting delivery of my SL. Being an extreme extrovert the red SL really sets me on fire (in a good way). But, as I read all the posts I see more and more people going for the SS model. I'm just curious which each of you are choosing, and why. Maybe I'm missing something going for the SL model. I love the gray, but when I add all the goodies it ends up being more expensive than just buying the SL outright.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I think you are going to get a lot of.... I don't like red, especially in the seats/interior and I don't see myself needing a infotainment system that cost over $2k.

If you add all the "Polaris" goodies to the base model, yes it will cost you more. But, if you do it yourself and add aftermarket goodies, you will have a better set-up, custom to your preferences, and less expensive.

For example - Need a stereo, BT, and backup camera for the base? Get a $99 JBL Flip BT speaker, get a nice cell phone holder, and mount a Go-Pro backwards. Everything hooks to your phone and you have everything that the infotainment system would have for $150. (assuming you already have a go-pro like me)

I also got the base model because I plan on replacing the wheels and tires.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Same here, 2K is a bit much for a radio, I have a Garmin if I take a trip. If I want to paint it, the black seats will look right. I dont see a reason to replace the rims.(I might change my mind after it arrives.)

·
Registered
212 Posts
I actually like the red color more but I am going for the base.

You get a lot of stuff for the higher trim but most of it is fairly easy to replace for much cheaper. The sound system is pretty universally agreed to be over priced. I can live without a backup camera no problem. Both of the rims look pretty good so its not much of an upgrade and interface doesn't have navi. Their is no performance difference and the base will have less rough ride due to rim sizes.

The only thing I am adding to my base which the Sl has included is the windshield.

Secretly I do hope they come out with more colors by time spring rolls around and I get mine.

·
Registered
432 Posts
we all are in agreement about that 2k for the stereo when a better unit combined can be obtained for a lot less. a 4.3 screenis crazy. that's the size of my garmin gps . i've already spec'd some 7" touch screen units, speaker boxes of various types, back up systems that cost less than $20. what I can't figure out any one of my local stereo shops can come up with some ideas. I love the brite red, but for $1k you can get the color that's different from eveybody elses. jazz that grey up and accomplish the same effect.

·
Registered
796 Posts
For me it was 3 main reasons: first, the front tire... 225/45 vs 205/50. That's a significant difference in both contact patch and sidewall height, especially when combined, rendering a better handling machine. (superb handling is a goal, isn't it?) Second, because the rear deck/headrests are so high, seeing behind you would require a visit to your chiropractor! Especially with helmets on. That camera will prove valuable. Lastly, I didn't like the massive hole/void in the middle of the center console that screamed.."something's missing ya cheapskate". Kinda reminds of base model cars that don't have the fog lights, so the lamp housing is filled with black plastic:vomit: From the data gathered so far, the SL's are outselling the base about 3 to 1. So you're in good company!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
While $2K sounds like a lot for a stereo system with backup camera, I don't find it to be too unreasonable. I have $1,000 in my Harley system, and that's with using the stock radio. Of course, it doesn't have a backup camera. The stereo in the SL is water-proof, color matched, and integrated (hopefully making it harder to steal). It's not just the media system in that price, it's the wiring harness, the speaker pods, backup camera, and installation. I love the red, but really like the customizability of the gray. However, since I know I would buy new wheels and tires, get a windshield, and install a stereo system, it only made sense for me to go with the SL.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I like the idea of it loaded ready to go tunes, rims and ect . The red or dark is a hard pick but if the dark was the one that was loaded this year I would of went with the dark .

·
Registered
768 Posts
Since I already have a red Corvette, the titanium Grey was more appealing to me. The options wheels are a little too wild for me so I prefer the base wheels. Since I plan to use this as a road touring vehicle, the smaller more standard sizes tires and wheels will make them easier to replace with better tires.

I generally do not listen to the stereo on a bike or not much even in a car, so my Bluetooth communications will be fine for me and the wife. If I need to I can bluetooth the phone, music or whatever to my helmet communications system. So the base SS is pretty much what I wanted and the better color for me. I can add a rear view camera if I feel I need one.

So the base is the best match for me.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I went with the SL mainly because I like the red a lot better -- both in terms of aesthetics and visibility. Having the added extras (stereo, backup camera, windshield, etc.) is a plus. The cost difference between the base and SL didn't get my attention -- it was the cost difference between the SL and anything else on the market that impressed and made a buyer out of me.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Like the SL wheel design but would prefer the SS tire size for ride quality.
Wanted the entertainment system, even tho overpriced.
Deciding factor was the color. The grey probably looks fine in real life but the pictures look so blah that it sucks the life outta me, especially the interior.

Would have preferred a White w/ red trim if I had my wish. CT's photoshopped white version was killer.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I thought the extras were too expensive but the roads here are about the same color as the grey. Real or imagined I felt like I had more close calls in my silver and grey cars. The brighter color was a must for me.

·
Registered
796 Posts
A grey Farrari is a rare sight. Wonder why? It's really hard to best a quality red paint job, that's why. And the Slingshot took it a step further.... added pearl!

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
2k stereo is too much for me (it doesn't have navy either)
I added the SL wheels to mine (they are forged and are probably lighter than the standard)
I will be changing the color of mine so that wasn't a consideration.
The largest reason is weight. I plan to go superlight with mine so all the extras need to go. ;)

1 - 20 of 57 Posts