Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before you call me a complete idiot (you wouldn't be the first), consider that a test driver (or test pilot) starts his job long before ever taking the controls. They know what to expect just by the description and specifications before they've laid eyes on the machine. They have read everything they can about the design and the reactions of those who have driven it previously. They know what to expect and look out for long before that first drive. It's only the things they don't expect that are a surprise. So being a complete Slingshot virgin, here are my expectations and guesses about the SS. I'll update my review after I get the call and actually drive the damn thing if Polaris ever gets it here.

First off, how could the Slingshot NOT be anything but fun? A light weight (fairly light anyway) open air vehicle with a motor big enough to motivate a bloated Chevy Malibu just has to be fun. The SS has hit the magic mark of 1 horsepower per 10 pounds of curb weight which is a pretty sporty number. I take it for granted that the thing should accelerate effortlessly, an endearing quality in any car. If a car doesn't do that, it should at least give you the impression that the motor is having a joyous time pulling its load as hard as it can. It amazes me how many cars fail to do either of these things. If Polaris manages to miss both of these targets I will be sorely disappointed. It will be akin to fucking up the proverbial wet dream.

Light weight also goes a long way toward making a car handle well. Polaris has the opportunity to make this thing a great handling machine given that they have the room and a clean sheet of paper to make it so. The tricycle configuration demands that they give it a wide stance if they have any hope of making it fun in the corners. That gave them plenty of room for a double wishbone suspension with plenty of arm length. This has been a formula for some of the best handling cars in the world, so again, it would take a major blunder to screw this up. Unfortunately, it sounds like they may have done just that.

The advent of electric assisted steering has foiled even the likes of BMW to give really good feedback to the driver. Only in the last year or so have they gotten this to the level of 'acceptable' and then only on models costing in excess of $65k. Polaris and other OHV makers are light years behind BMW and the result has been some of the most numb-nuts, dead steering response since the early days of hydraulic power steering. The early 60s Chrysler products come to mind. You could barely tell the steering wheel was connected to anything. BRP at least gave the option to set the level of electric assist but even on minimum setting its still pretty dead. Only at high speed on tight turns is there reasonable feedback.

The early reports from SS owners lucky enough to get them are not encouraging. Several have said that the SS will continue a turn even if the wheel is released and that the driver has to actively turn the wheel in the opposite direction in order to return to straight ahead travel. If true, that alone is enough to give the SS a failing grade. Even if the SS will achieve decent lateral G turns, if the feedback through the wheel is not right, the driving experience will be lack luster after the initial new toy thrill wears off.

Given the low weight of the SS, I don't know why Polaris bothered to put power assisted steering on a sporting machine like the Slingshot. I can only assume it is a sop to the flabby American driver who expects everything to be effortless.

But here's hoping I will be pleasantly surprised when I get behind the wheel, or at least that these suspected shortcomings are easily fixed in the hands of knowledgable aftermarket vendors or SS owners.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I agree, I have a 06 lotus exige which has no power steering, it is one of the nicest features of the car. The steering feel is amazing ! The slingshot does not need power steering. I used to have a 91 Miata set up like a spec car, one of the first things I did was have the power steering disconnected so much better

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Poetry .I'd like to find out if the design was a team effort or a singular vision .

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
I agree, I have a 06 lotus exige which has no power steering, it is one of the nicest features of the car. The steering feel is amazing ! The slingshot does not need power steering. I used to have a 91 Miata set up like a spec car, one of the first things I did was have the power steering disconnected so much better
I'm hoping some real pros will chime in here. The slingshot definitely does not self correct when coming out of a turn. It's annoying, not a deal breaker, but irritating.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Otter I usually enjoy your posts but this one is premature ejaculation (speculation). Write a review after you have actually driven one for 20-30 minutes including some twisties and I'll read that one.
A preview review doesn't ring my bell.
Hands on experience is the only thing that matters to me.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You are just the guy I wanted to talk to. I decided to not install the power steering pump and related hardware on my 'WhatThe' project car. I googled the subject to see if there were any down sides to that but all I found were blogs where 'experts' told car builders they were crazy, would endanger everyone on the road and would damage the steering gear because it couldn't take the strain of pure manual steering. They had no real experience but had no hesitation to nix the idea.

I plan to insure there is enough ATF in the mechanism to lubricate the works but see no reason why it won't work fine.

Any problems, excessive wear, etc on your Miata when you disabled it? And did you remove anything or just disconnect? All that stuff weighed over 30 lbs!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Otter I usually enjoy your posts but this one is premature ejaculation (speculation). Write a review after you have actually driven one for 20-30 minutes including some twisties and I'll read that one.
A preview review doesn't ring my bell.
Hands on experience is the only thing that matters to me.
Without speculation, nothing new happens but if you are satisfied with that - OK.

As I said, I'll update it after I've driven it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
When I sold the Miata it had over 200k on it and still ran great. Did about 17 track days with it at vir. I do not remember if anything was taken off. I was in the car biz at the time and had one of the mechanic's do it. I never had any issues with. It transformed the feel of the car

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I sold the Miata it had over 200k on it and still ran great. Did about 17 track days with it at vir. I do not remember if anything was taken off. I was in the car biz at the time and had one of the mechanic's do it. I never had any issues with. It transformed the feel of the car
Thank you sir!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts