Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting a squealing or squeaky sound once she is warmed up well when I'm taking off from 1rst or slowing down to a stop. Sometimes when I'm sitting there if the engine is revving slightly. It doesn't always do this. Sounds like an engine belt type noise. It started around 150 miles.
Everything else is great. I've have scanned the other posts but it seams most owners are complaining about the drive line noise. I don't mind the angle drive noise which has dissipated in the first 200 miles. The uneven idle hardly occurs and is very slight only at stop.
I'm loving this thing! I'm having more fun than when I had my exige!

·
Registered
434 Posts
I'm getting a squealing noise intermittently. It definitely sounds like belt noise. I had mine at the dealer for warranty work for something else and the owner took a ride to hear it. It only squealed for a little bit and then went away. When I drive it goes away after a few minutes. No idea what's causing the noise. He said I could leave it so his mechanic could look at it, it was going to be to nice do I didn't leave it.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
Generally it's due to bearings in the alternator, tensioner, or water pump going bad. The belt tensioner is on top, release the tension and remove the belt, then spin the tensioner, pump, and alternator by hand and see if anything is notchy--everything should spin very smoothly. (There may be more than one bad, try them all.)

You can also wait until the squeaking is more constant and use a paper towel roll against your ear to locate the noise. Note that if bearings are constantly squeeling they're about to fail, so any long runs should be avoided.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Any noise you hear can be deceptive. I took my Mazda to the shop because it sounded like the top of the engine had gone kaput. The grinding and rattling noises sounded for sure like the cam/s had self-destructed and I was thinking engine replacement. The mechanic agreed and asked if I wanted to skip the diagnostic and go straight to replacement. I am very glad I said no, because he called the next day to tell me all that noise was the alternator and I could pick it that afternoon. Three hundred dollars for a brand new alternator installed versus the twenty five hundred I expected for a used replacement engine (including labor) I was happy to pay.

Reactions: Slingking

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. I located the noise. It wasn't the belts or in that area. It was the exaust. It's suspended by springs. When it gets hot it squeaks form vibration while reving the motor. I put gloves on and when I pressed down it stoped.i think it the springs that hold it Maybe it will wear in or there is a quick fix.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have a spring type(metallic sound) squeak also.
Assumed it was the muffler, Thanks for confirming.
Didnt worry too much because as soon as my turbo shows up from Alpha @Turbosling its all getting ripped out anyway.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have a squeaking/squealing noise as well. If you look under the hood, there is a bolt that holds on the center black plastic piece. It hits the top of the engine and makes noise. It's also wearing away the aluminum as well. I went into the dealer this week and two new ones on the floor had the same marks from rubbing as well.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I have a squeaking/squealing noise as well. If you look under the hood, there is a bolt that holds on the center black plastic piece. It hits the top of the engine and makes noise. It's also wearing away the aluminum as well. I went into the dealer this week and two new ones on the floor had the same marks from rubbing as well.
You must be having fun. How do you decide which toy to take out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts