Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To those LUCKY few who have actually driven a Slingshot - Anybody compared the speedometer to a GPS? Any idea how accurate the speedometer is? I assume the unit is from a Victory or Indian. If so, anyone know how accurate the Victory or Indian speedometer is? Both of my Suzuki motorcycles seem to have speedometers that read about 10% over, meaning I need to do an indicated 66 mph to achieve 60 mph. At the same time, both of my Suzuki motorcycles seem to have accurate odometers to track mileage. Just wondering.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
To those LUCKY few who have actually driven a Slingshot - Anybody compared the speedometer to a GPS? Any idea how accurate the speedometer is? I assume the unit is from a Victory or Indian. If so, anyone know how accurate the Victory or Indian speedometer is? Both of my Suzuki motorcycles seem to have speedometers that read about 10% over, meaning I need to do an indicated 66 mph to achieve 60 mph. At the same time, both of my Suzuki motorcycles seem to have accurate odometers to track mileage. Just wondering.
I was wondering about that myself. Seems like every vehicle I have reads about 5 mph higher than actual at around 70. Suzi DR650, Kaw Versys, Z3, 335, all about the same. The only one that is spot on is an old clapped out Suzuki Sidekick with over 200k on the odo . Oddly, all the odometers are very accurate.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
You have a sidekick!!! I had 1 and that was a fun and durable ride!!!
Yep, still have it at 215k miles and still runs great. It is everything you could ask of a car - good, honest, reliable and as you said, fun. (Everything but fast :)) If the SS has half the soul of the Sidekick I'll be happy.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Sidekick is a cage-type vehicle. I think there is a tendency, at least among the Japanese motorcycle manufacturers, to deliberately have the speedometers read high so folks think they are faster. Of course, once I realized the difference, I automatically perform a little mental math to know my TRUE speed!

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just asking for an update. Anyone had a chance to compare Slingshot speedometer performance to a GPS or Police Radar?

·
Registered
362 Posts
I compared mine two weeks ago. At 85mph on the GPS the speedo read 82mph. Same variance at higher speeds. This was consistent on a trip from Las Vegas to Lake Havasu, on the flat straight-aways.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Interesting, most speedos err on the high side. BMWs are the worst. 74 indicated is only 70 actual on a E90 328i.

Anybody else got a good fix on SS? Wonder if it's the same on base & SL.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I tested mine several times as I have a base with SL wheels. With the stock setup it read 1 mph high at 60. With the new wheels it was off 4 mph and after getting the ECM reset at dealer it now reads dead on.

·
WHAT HAPPENED HERE?
2,221 Posts
I compared mine using the Speed View app on my Samsung Galaxy Mega 6.3 it was DEAD NUTS with the SS speedo through all gears!

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
driving down the road and looked at my speedometer said 85mph compared to my gps said 62 any one have any ideas for a fix thank you
Ours is pretty close also, did you try using the mile markers along the highway to double check the accuracy of your GPS?

Bill

·
2,321 Posts
driving down the road and looked at my speedometer said 85mph compared to my gps said 62 any one have any ideas for a fix thank you
Have you changed wheels/tires or accidental switched your display from MPH to KPH .....

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yep I noticed the same thing after I bought mine. Speedo reads at least 10mph higher than what I'm actually doing.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Mine is 2 miles under at 70, speedo shows 70, GPS reads 68. I always drive by gps +5% max=63 in 60 zone.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
There's always one of those roadside speedo radar warning signs on my way to VA. My GMC truck always read 1 mph more than the sign, the Sling was spot on compared to the sign.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts