Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
maintenance ,engine parts, tires, design...
maintenance does this thing have a obd2 connection so everyone can read trouble codes? if so what version of the chip is installed?

Will i be able to pick up engine/transmission parts at a local napa or autozone or at a normal car parts places?

can i install my own audio package? will the audio fit normal double dinn car stereos?
Will the black one have the cut outs for placing speakers?
I see threads about tires. but my question is still not being answered price how much are the tires and how much will it cost to mount them? i read something about the rim being a 3 piece rim. and i understand i will have to goto the dealer for a tire change. But i have not seen any kind of figure for how much this will be.

Thank you all for your time...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also looking for this to use as a weekend getaway thing. normally i strap a tint and sleeping bag on my bike R1100RT and take off for 3-7 days. I see storage being a issue. any kind of extra storage maybe like the T-rex along the rear tire? and i can almost see this pulling a small motorcycle trailer as well? any plans for this as well?

·
Registered
261 Posts
I only remember a bit of what I've seen posted around the site, so some investigation on your part may do a bit of good, but...

I saw something about the SS having an obd2 connection, possibly some sort of Polaris specific thing.

I would think, with the engine and trans coming from pre-established vehicles, you would have a very easy time going to the local parts store and finding parts.

There are people talking about installing their own audio packages due to the apparent high cost of the entertainment package. The posts I saw included aftermarket back up cameras, Ipad minis, and aftermarket marine speakers, and yes, something about double din, though I know nothing about that. I ordered the base model with the entertainment system, and I believe the difference between it and the SL is simply that the base model has bare frame where the speakers go, whereas the SL has the speakers and an extra piece of plastic. There is also a USB hookup in the glove box.

As for the tire situation, I've got no clue to costs, but from what everyone says, it seems they will be rather pricey if you go with stock. I would expect the charge for mounting a new tire to be roughly the same as a normal motorcycle, so about 30 mins work per tire if its on the vehicle.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Oh, storage and towing...

I definitely want to see some kind of storage around the sides of the swing arm, and I believe there are enough of us that feel that way that something aftermarket will be produced, just give it time (or start engineering once you get your SS).

Same thing with towing; I've heard many people talking about wanting some sort of towing option, but it'll likely be aftermarket as well.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I would expect the charge for mounting a new tire to be roughly the same as a normal motorcycle, so about 30 mins work per tire if its on the vehicle.
Why? They're mounted with lug bolts same as car tires, and it's a single-sided swingarm so no axles to fuss with.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Just standard pricing in my area. One tire is 30 mins work, regardless of how many sides the swing arm has. though, thinking about it, maybe it'll be less, who knows!
I have been thinking, could I take it to a normal car place to get the tires swapped? Would the center tire provide trouble when lifting?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Why? They're mounted with lug bolts same as car tires, and it's a single-sided swingarm so no axles to fuss with.
I thought i read that the rim was in 3 piece rim. i dont think most typical tire machines will be able to fit it and that's including the tire balancer machines

·
Registered
13 Posts
Also looking for this to use as a weekend getaway thing. normally i strap a tint and sleeping bag on my bike R1100RT and take off for 3-7 days. I see storage being a issue. any kind of extra storage maybe like the T-rex along the rear tire? and i can almost see this pulling a small motorcycle trailer as well? any plans for this as well?
I don't see storage is a big issue for SS. If I can travel across the country on a GS with everything I need.....I'm sure I can do the same in a SS with less effort on research or solution.....

Just utilize the passenger space for luggage or pile them on passenger's lap....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,750 Posts
If you don't mind removing it like a tankbag when refueling, just strap a dufflebag on the top behind the seats. I'm hoping for some kind of hard luggage such as Givi mounted to the rear panel.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts