Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to see a variety of soft tops that are held by bungees for regular driving,

it could be done rather easily, and may have a speed limit as to how fast it is feasible possible to go with the soft top on.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I have 7 motorcycles currently, I ride them all,

I had a Spyder RTS, I hated it, it had too many safeties, like turn left or right just a little bit, Slightly!!!, and try to accelerate full throttle, trying to get in to traffic from a stop at a business, and merging on to a high speed road and a sensor cuts the throttle, by a Lot!!!

So you cant take off fast, what a Danger it was, with their stupid safety trying to keep you safe i almost got hit A FEW TIMES ON THAT STEAMING PILE OF BULL STEIN Spyder RTS should be BS, I sold that pile o crap, after having it for a year.

Do me a favor, Let me keep myself safe, don't inhibit the power.

Man I hated that SPYDER RTS BS.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I would love to see a variety of soft tops that are held by bungees for regular driving,

it could be done rather easily, and may have a speed limit as to how fast it is feasible possible to go with the soft top on.
Their called Bimini's, and their good up to about 70 MPH And then they blow off And then depending on your alcohol level You either go back and get them or you don't give a crap. I have lost more than one

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Oh, I completely agree.

I am just giving the engineers at Polaris something to ponder. There seem to be 5 attachment points for the windscreen(s) so maybe incorporating them along with a structured windscreen/top combo is doable?

Just spitballing here. ;)

·
Registered
212 Posts
As cool as a soft top would be I suspect it will be really hard to do. The first is because it will look really funny most likely if you look at the height profiles. It will also likely not keep you dry if rain was your fear because well, no doors. Lastly the roof would likely make getting in and out of this thing akin to a lotus elise which I have done and although i don't mind it makes you look hilarious.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As far as I am concerned the top would NOT be for rain, your 4 wheel cage is for rain.

The Top is more for when your cruising around and want the sun off of you for a little while cause you been on a long ride, and that intense summer sun is beating on you.

I have had quite a few convertibles and motorcycles, I currently have 7 Motorcycles, it would be nice to be able to get out of the sun on a long ride/day or few days, in the sun.

Imagine it's 90 degrees out and you have been driving for 6 hours, in the intense sun, ok make it 8 hours, it would be great fun at first, but would get old, and Optional top would be nice

Keep the base bike at $20K

Make the TOP an OPTION!!!!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The first thing I will do is remove the clear plastic shield, and make it into a Positive pressure shield like I have on my motorcycle, mount a piece of alum. plate about 6" high to the windshield mount.

Then I have the brackets to mount the shield to the front of the alum plate using the adjustable brackets, now you have a positive pressure shield, that you can adjust the height and tilt of the shield, this will allow you to get rid of any wing buffeting, and have a taller shield

Look at Madstad engineering for their Positive pressure adjustable Height and tilt shield.

Pressure under the shield makes for very smooth are, that is very quiet air.

Link:
http://www.madstad.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.9095/.f

·
Registered
497 Posts
I like the idea is to try and develop something for shade, not keep the rain off you.

I've talked to a buddy of mine that does Biminis, and sent him some pictures. He thinks the best option at this point, Is to develop something that would mount off of the roll cage And work as a sunscreen.

It won't be pretty but it will be something you can fold up and expand as needed. If you've ever been on a boat for 6 to 8 hours in the Texas sun, Shade becomes pretty important.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I like the idea is to try and develop something for shade, not keep the rain off you.

I've talked to a buddy of mine that does Biminis, and sent him some pictures. He thinks the best option at this point, Is to develop something that would mount off of the roll cage And work as a sunscreen.

It won't be pretty but it will be something you can fold up and expand as needed. If you've ever been on a boat for 6 to 8 hours in the Texas sun, Shade becomes pretty important.
I agree I've got several designs in
mind. I have to wait till I get my SS. Then the fabrication begins. In the mean time I'll start getting some of the parts I'll need. Coming up with two types. If they work out I'll have
filed a Patent on the product before it hits the market.
One needs to protect there investment.
Time will tell.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Oh, I completely agree.

I am just giving the engineers at Polaris something to ponder. There seem to be 5 attachment points for the windscreen(s) so maybe incorporating them along with a structured windscreen/top combo is doable?

Just spitballing here. ;)
Polaris has made it very clear that they will not go in this direction. But aftermarket opportunities will be abundant.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts