Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for all you racers (and would be racers), what is the best tire to throw on the back of this beauty? Lets assume 315 is the widest without modifying the swingarm and shock mount/geometry though it doesn't have to be that wide.

Which will provide streetability (not track only) and some semblance of wet capability though not necessarily a 3 season tire.

Remember it needs to a symmetrical pattern - I assume.

Size? Brand? Model?

·
Registered
843 Posts
How can we calculate the good size if we change the original tire! If i want go with 295 or 315 like say tango...which is the right tire size?!

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone have any experience with Toyo r888 proxes? I would love a competition tire that can handle some wet if I was caught in shower.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am thinking I may go to a 19" in the back and use the 20" for winter. Seems many R compound tires can be had. I am hoping a 19x10 will fit on the swingarm without rubbing anything and then I can get a 305 or 315 on there.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I am thinking I may go to a 19" in the back and use the 20" for winter. Seems many R compound tires can be had. I am hoping a 19x10 will fit on the swingarm without rubbing anything and then I can get a 305 or 315 on there.
You don't have the same winter is here...lol...don't think i'll try on snow...:woot:

·
Registered
382 Posts
I am an old hot rodder and always thought wider is pretty much always better. After talking to the Exocet guys I find this may not be the case. After a certain point a wider tire does not help you, especially when the vehicle is so light it will have trouble generating enough heat to heat the tire (as is the case with the Exocet). I am not sure where this point is on the SS. Also, just changing the rear tire to a fat one may hurt overall performance. Polaris did not just stick a set of wheels on it and said "Eh looks pretty good". I am sure a TON of work went into selecting the best matching front and rear sizes for performance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OEM tire size is probably the best pick for engineering reasons and Im all for function over form, but the rear tire looks way too dinky ascetically. If we add a 345/35/20 (~1 to 2 inches bigger dia), I would assume the abs & traction control go all wanky. Out of curiosity, does anyone know how these companies hack into the OEM's computers to alter settings? I know general programming but wouldnt have the slightest clue on how to hack a cars computer.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I've never done any research on fat tires before. However, I do think it would be better to upgrade the rear tire of the slingshot. Seems to me that would get better traction and just look cool.

·
Registered
843 Posts
OEM tire size is probably the best pick for engineering reasons and Im all for function over form, but the rear tire looks way too dinky ascetically. If we add a 345/35/20 (~1 to 2 inches bigger dia), I would assume the abs & traction control go all wanky. Out of curiosity, does anyone know how these companies hack into the OEM's computers to alter settings? I know general programming but wouldnt have the slightest clue on how to hack a cars computer.
I use a tire size calculator and the wider tire you can put without affect the diameter is 295/30R20 than you stay a 0% effect...if you put 335/30R20 you got 3.3% higher diameter....so it will affect something!

·
Registered
497 Posts
Nitto makes a NT05 tire in the OEM size that is super sticky. I ran them on my SRT8's and they had really good traction.

They handled wet weather fairly well as long as you kept your foot out of it. It is not a all season tire though.

I think I am going to stay with the OEM size Until I know this vehicle better

·
Registered
843 Posts
I bet you could find a set of tire chains that would work AND you would only have to buy a half of a set with only one tire to fit :smuggrin:
:pYes but the problem is the SS was classified as a Motorcycle and after 15 of December nothing can be on the road if classified as motorcycle and do not have winter tires! But i'll be curious to try it with winter tires with nails...maybe funny as hell !! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wondering now if a large profile tire wouldn't be best for a reverse trike, like an F1 tire or a giant dirt track tire. The reason I say this is because there is not a lot of side lateral load to support and the larger profile would be less upset by the camber change during a hard leaning corner. Just thinking aloud.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts