Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It occurred to me that since the SS is so wide up front, that rear tire is pretty much always going to be in the hotly debated center "oil/grease strip" of the road. I wonder what kind of long term impact, if any, this will have on that tire's traction? That sudden rain storm that pops up out of nowhere, or those lightly misted mornings could also wreak havoc I imagine. I avoided the center strip like the plague when I rode on two wheels, so maybe the Can Am Spyder guys could chime in on their experiences?

·
Registered
497 Posts
It's an interesting thought DTT, now I have one more thing to over analyze while we wait on delivery. :D:D:D

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've put a ton of miles on Spyders and I've never had any issues...the forward-trike format offers incredible stability in all situations to begin with, and in some ways the SS hooks up even better with it's low center of gravity, even with the traction control off

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have been riding spyders for the last 4 years. They say they are using the Kendra Tire. On a spyder if you drive aggressively, The rear tire which is a Kendra is burned off in 6000 Miles. If the rear tire is as soft as the spyder, be lucky to get 3000 miles, driving aggressively.

·
Registered
183 Posts
They must be using the Kenda Kaiser KR20. As it's the only one with the correct size
on Kenda's site.
They don't even have a UTQG rating on them. I'm thinking I might go
Bridgestone Potenza S007 if I were to keep with the stock size.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Good question but as the can am guys have been riding a lot of miles I've never heard of any issues so I wouldn't worry much abt it

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
On my RT Spyder I get 2500 miles on a back tire. I'm going to find something sticky. Don't really care about how long a tire last. I just want it to stick to the road. MPG and Tire wear never have been a concern on a motorcycle.

·
Registered
190 Posts
26k miles on my "just sold" Spyder. Like the slingshot, the Spyder runs a Kenda Tire. The Kenda motorcycle tire is made from a soft compound that balloons in the center while you are driving/riding. It will wear the center of the tire out first in a few thousand miles and the outside edges will be like new.

If you boys are smart...... once you burn the factory Kenda off of your slingshot, you should seriously consider a car tire made from a harder compound. They will last twice as long, and cost half as much. I ran a car tire on my Spyder for the last 15k miles, it worked great and didn't notice any lose in grip.

Both of these machines are light in the rear, and both will spin the tire easy. I never had an issue with the oil slick center of the lane as the spyder was extremely stable. Hope this helps. :jimlad:

·
Registered
674 Posts
It occurred to me that since the SS is so wide up front, that rear tire is pretty much always going to be in the hotly debated center "oil/grease strip" of the road. I wonder what kind of long term impact, if any, this will have on that tire's traction? That sudden rain storm that pops up out of nowhere, or those lightly misted mornings could also wreak havoc I imagine. I avoided the center strip like the plague when I rode on two wheels, so maybe the Can Am Spyder guys could chime in on their experiences?
I don't think it is as bad as a bike because the fronts are on the "unslick" part

1 - 14 of 14 Posts