Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new SL owner, and with only 60 miles I'm noticing some "strangeness" with the throttle. Do these things look familiar, or do you think there's some kind of issue?

(1) The throttle is stiff. (probably normal)

(2) When I get off the throttle to shift, the RPM falls off fairly slowly - makes for an awkward shift.

(3) When I get off the throttle and push in the clutch at a stop, the idle will dip below normal for a few seconds, stutter a bit then pick back up to normal.

(4) There is occasional popping at idle and it isn't real smooth. (subjective, could be ok)

#2 and #3 are the ones that are really concerning me at the moment... What think?

Thanks,

-audioguy

·
Hold my beer and watch this!
1,319 Posts
Search is your friend. This has been covered multiple times. Your dealer can fix the issues with an update to your PCM.

Reactions: Tripod

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks. I did search on "Throttle return" and "idle", but perhaps I need to hold my head at a different angle.

-audioguy

·
1,319 Posts
Ok, thanks. I did search on "Throttle return" and "idle", but perhaps I need to hold my head at a different angle.

-audioguy
That always helps me.:confused::eek:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Those issues are "normal" for a slingshot and the update didnt do a whole lot for me.
It is an annoyance to say the least.

·
1,319 Posts
"Digital Wrench 3.7"

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
What your describing it normal for the stock tune in the Slingshot.

Look into an aftermarket tune from @MEFIburn if it really annoys you and you want some performance gains. Many people have switch out their tune with Bob and are happy.

·
Registered
273 Posts
you'll also note that there is a special for the tune for forum members as well $100 off

ACTIVE Group Buy - ECM Tune from Mefi Bob for NA Slingshots

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
Mine still does the same as yours, but I remember the newest update back around February fixed a lot of these problems. I know DuanIndy down loaded new update and said it was much better. Thought about doing mine when it warms up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Mine still does the same as yours, but I remember the newest update back around February fixed a lot of these problems. I know DuanIndy down loaded new update and said it was much better. Thought about doing mine when it warms up.
Hmm... Mine is a "2016 1/2" model, manufactured early this year. Hard to say what software versions are on it. I may have to ask the dealer's service mgr to look into it, thanks.

-audioguy

·
Registered
5,299 Posts
Hmm... Mine is a "2016 1/2" model, manufactured early this year. Hard to say what software versions are on it. I may have to ask the dealer's service mgr to look into it, thanks.

-audioguy
If you have the 2016 1/2 model, you have the latest software for the ecu. The new update software soon to be released may or not be applicable to your s/s, but that is to correct an issue with the electronic steering only.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you have the 2016 1/2 model, you have the latest software for the ecu. The new update software soon to be released may or not be applicable to your s/s, but that is to correct an issue with the electronic steering only.
Well, shoot then. I'm going to stop by the dealership and ask about any bulletins or software anyway - I haven't used any of my nuisance quota yet...
The one that really annoys me is the slow RPM fall between shifts. If they could make that one go away I wouldn't fret so much about the rest.

-audioguy

·
1,319 Posts
Another thing to understand about the programming on the Slingshot. It "tries" to adapt to your driving style. If you are in and out of your gears quickly, by this I mean get out of the clutch as fast as possible during gear changes, then you will notice that slow RPM fall will mostly go away. The idle issue however can only be helped with a new tune.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another thing to understand about the programming on the Slingshot. It "tries" to adapt to your driving style. If you are in and out of your gears quickly, by this I mean get out of the clutch as fast as possible during gear changes, then you will notice that slow RPM fall will mostly go away. The idle issue however can only be helped with a new tune.
Hmm. I'm all for adaptive systems, but I suspect this is one I'm going to clash with. My driving style varies with mood and circumstance. If I'm solo and in the twisties I can get aggressive, but on a lazy Sunday afternoon drive with the wife I'll shift much less quickly and at different points.

Comparisons to other vehicles aren't all that useful here, but I will say that I would strongly prefer the throttle to follow my foot and snap down naturally - let me do the driving. Rev limiters are useful, idle control is useful as long as it doesn't modulate throttle response at low RPM. The rest I would prefer to handle myself - but I understand the Slingshot is a broad-stroke consumer product, too. If that custom tune will get me what I want without risk to hardware or warranty, I may just check into it.

Thanks,
-audioguy

·
1,319 Posts
Risk to warranty is going to come down to the dealer and your ability to argue. The PCM controls a great deal of the vehicle. A jerk dealer could toss your warranty as soon as you modify the PCM. Just a heads up.
You'll be lucky to find any vehicle these days that the throttle isn't computer controlled and has some sort of adaptive technology built in. They can be worked around, but there is a cost. Good luck brother, anything is possible.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts