Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been reading the various postings online with scans of the owners manual and I'm curious as to what others believe here with regards to the recommendations from the owners manual for winter storage.

Given that I'm here in the great chilly midwest, whenever the slingshot decides to grace me with its presence I will only have limited weather to ride it and will be looking at prepping it for some periods of time in storage. But will on the nice days, with clean roads, etc get it out to play when I can.

Normally I follow the below steps (Used for the CBR, ATV, Shelby, etc.)
  • Top off the fuel tank
  • Put in fuel stabilizer (Being sure to run the engine long enough to smell it on the exhaust
  • Ensure tire pressures are set properly
  • Hookup a battery tender
  • Every 2-3 weeks move it around a bit in the garage so it isn't sitting on the same spot
I've never had any issues with this practice in the past. No bald tires. (I do get the CBR up on stands so it isn't leaning sideways all the time.

But in the owners manual they go as far as to recommend fogging the engine. That seems horribly old school. SOmething I remember us doing a kids to our Jet Ski's when putting them away for the winter. ANyone have thoughts?

·
Vendor
5,411 Posts
I do pretty much what you do with the addition of changing the oil if it's been used enough.......I've fogged my engines in the past. I've been told to do it to prevent rust. I stopped doing it and it has never made a difference for me. Nowadays, I just keep using them all winter. So far, so good.

·
Registered
331 Posts
This is slightly off topic but didn't find an area that it may fit in. I dislike corrosion and seeing all the open tubing and vent holes was wondering if any one had a better idea then to just spray some rust preventative in all the opening?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
It's that time of year. It looks like this topic hasn't been touched on in awhile. I thought I would bump it to the top and get a fresh perspective. I will be storing my Sling outside under a full car cover as I do not have a garage. I am wondering if any others who store theirs outside in cold climates over the winter have any tips? We typically get a few days below 20 here in the PNW but mostly in the 20s and 30s during a "bad" winter.
I have heard of people putting engine compartment heaters and moisture absorber in their boats under the cover to keep the wood and plastic from cracking. Also keeps the electronics safe(r). I know there isn't any wood involved, but would this be beneficial for a Sling?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have been reading the various postings online with scans of the owners manual and I'm curious as to what others believe here with regards to the recommendations from the owners manual for winter storage.

Given that I'm here in the great chilly midwest, whenever the slingshot decides to grace me with its presence I will only have limited weather to ride it and will be looking at prepping it for some periods of time in storage. But will on the nice days, with clean roads, etc get it out to play when I can.

Normally I follow the below steps (Used for the CBR, ATV, Shelby, etc.)
  • Top off the fuel tank
  • Put in fuel stabilizer (Being sure to run the engine long enough to smell it on the exhaust
  • Ensure tire pressures are set properly
  • Hookup a battery tender
  • Every 2-3 weeks move it around a bit in the garage so it isn't sitting on the same spot
I've never had any issues with this practice in the past. No bald tires. (I do get the CBR up on stands so it isn't leaning sideways all the time.

But in the owners manual they go as far as to recommend fogging the engine. That seems horribly old school. SOmething I remember us doing a kids to our Jet Ski's when putting them away for the winter. ANyone have thoughts?
I suggest that you follow the instructions below...:D

upload_2016-11-29_9-20-48.jpeg

·
Super Moderator
2,913 Posts
I put a Buge B-2 cover (Wal-Mart) over the Polaris cover. Keeps the sun and dirt off the expensive cover, and usually nobody wants to mess with anything under a cheap budget cover because it's not worth it. You may also want to put it up on wood stands and remove the wheels--theft would be pretty troublesome...

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's that time of year. It looks like this topic hasn't been touched on in awhile. I thought I would bump it to the top and get a fresh perspective. I will be storing my Sling outside under a full car cover as I do not have a garage. I am wondering if any others who store theirs outside in cold climates over the winter have any tips? We typically get a few days below 20 here in the PNW but mostly in the 20s and 30s during a "bad" winter.
I have heard of people putting engine compartment heaters and moisture absorber in their boats under the cover to keep the wood and plastic from cracking. Also keeps the electronics safe(r). I know there isn't any wood involved, but would this be beneficial for a Sling?
There are a couple of things that I would consider. My first concern about outside storage is infestation by small animals that are seeking refuge from the cold. While they are enjoying some respite from the weather, they are eating your wiring and upholstery. Birds nests in exposed aircraft engine cowlings are a constant well documented threat. The second point is UV exposure to the tires that are often not covered by car covers. In the South, particularly in Florida, I have seen many vehicles, stored outside for long periods, that are equipped with wheel/tire covers.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I put a Buge B-2 cover (Wal-Mart) over the Polaris cover. Keeps the sun and dirt off the expensive cover, and usually nobody wants to mess with anything under a cheap budget cover because it's not worth it. You may also want to put it up on wood stands and remove the wheels--theft would be pretty troublesome...
Yep. I'll put it on blocks right next to the old washer and dryer on the front lawn. Charge little neighbor kids a dollar to sit it in while I make "vroom vroom" sounds. :joyful:

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Put on thermal underwear, a coat and drive it 15 miles once a month. Even in Colorado we have days where I can easily do that when it's dry. No different than my motorcycles or sports cars that pretty much sat all winter. Oil fogging is for a vehicle that is going to sit for years, not weeks. ;-)

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Put on thermal underwear, a coat and drive it 15 miles once a month. Even in Colorado we have days where I can easily do that when it's dry. No different than my motorcycles or sports cars that pretty much sat all winter. Oil fogging is for a vehicle that is going to sit for years, not weeks. ;-)
I just want to protect my investment. After my brother cracked the block in his brand new boat his first winter, I have been worried about motors sitting. I know that was different because it's fresh water cooled, but still scary none the less. Like you said, probably best to just take it out on the quick trips to the store for bread or milk that always come up. Thanks for the piece of mind.

·
Super Moderator
2,913 Posts
@Blitzkrieg has a good point, I don't drive up here due to the salt and cold, but do start it every two weeks and let it get up to operating temperature before shutting it down. Keeps the battery charged and all the parts working, do work the brakes and shifter a little once it's warm.... I also have bungee cords on the B-2 cover from the front to behind the front wheel, across the center, and by the rear wheel to keep the cover on tight. Kind of a pain to pull the straps in the cold, but the battery is fine and nothing has issues due to storage.

Vroom vroom sounds...brings back memories...LOL

·
Registered
989 Posts
@Blitzkrieg has a good point, I don't drive up here due to the salt and cold, but do start it every two weeks and let it get up to operating temperature before shutting it down. Keeps the battery charged and all the parts working, do work the brakes and shifter a little once it's warm.... I also have bungee cords on the B-2 cover from the front to behind the front wheel, across the center, and by the rear wheel to keep the cover on tight. Kind of a pain to pull the straps in the cold, but the battery is fine and nothing has issues due to storage.

Vroom vroom sounds...brings back memories...LOL
I put a small dehumidifier under the cover to keep things dry. I added a drain tub to the reservoir so I do not have to drain it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Yep. I'll put it on blocks right next to the old washer and dryer on the front lawn. Charge little neighbor kids a dollar to sit it in while I make "vroom vroom" sounds. :joyful:
OMG, I didn't know that you were a neighbor, where in Georgia do you live? And, BTW, ya all got plans for the washer and dryer?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts