Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

121 - 140 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
You are very late to this party.....lots of past posts on the subject ...many quieted down as their angle drives did......however this particular statement is simply untrue....

I would suggest you take your complaint directly to Polaris as it will do you no good here ....

1-800-765-2747

Call with your VIN# and make sure to get a case # that relates to your call........

Oh....and your dealer needs to fix your bumper alignment ......

Old News - I complained and had a case number immediately after picking the machine up!

Polaris has not admitted nor will admit there is a design problem with the Angle Drive

I'm not late at all with this problem - the old threads are long gone - we have to keep this thread active to keep it in Polaris's face in hopes that this problem will be addressed so we can take a trip without the "Reliability Factor" being something above "0".

I had 3 trips planned and now cancelled and now I'm confined to local travel - there is no way I'm going to head out and live in a Motel for a week and or leave my bike with some gear-head at a Polaris dealer who knows nothing of the problem or how to fix it.

·
2,333 Posts
Old News - I complained and had a case number immediately after picking the machine up!

Polaris has not admitted nor will admit there is a design problem with the Angle Drive

I'm not late at all with this problem - the old threads are long gone - we have to keep this thread active to keep it in Polaris's face in hopes that this problem will be addressed so we can take a trip without the "Reliability Factor" being something above "0".

I had 3 trips planned and now cancelled and now I'm confined to local travel - there is no way I'm going to head out and live in a Motel for a week and or leave my bike with some gear-head at a Polaris dealer who knows nothing of the problem or how to fix it.

Weird .... when someone on your ignore list quotes one of your posts you still get a notification ....

Once again, I am sure you won't have any trouble selling it .....best to do it soon ...

·
Registered
666 Posts
I would not cancel any trip because of angle drive noise on a SS it looks to me like a very HD unit that just does not have polished gears. Also the people talking about metal on the magnet should know that most cars have that on diffs when new also on standard transmissions just as long as it is not chunks it is normal wear in.
I think they could have had a less noisy unit, but it would have been costly on a vehical being built to a price. MO

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
I would not cancel any trip because of angle drive noise on a SS it looks to me like a very HD unit that just does not have polished gears. Also the people talking about metal on the magnet should know that most cars have that on diffs when new also on standard transmissions just as long as it is not chunks it is normal wear in.
I think they could have had a less noisy unit, but it would have been costly on a vehical being built to a price. MO
Between the failing axle bearings, leaking seals and the lousy angle drive I'll confine my trips to local driving like I mentioned it would be easier to slit my wrists then leave my bike in another state with an unknown ATV dealer.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
Weird .... when someone on your ignore list quotes one of your posts you still get a notification ....

Once again, I am sure you won't have any trouble selling it .....best to do it soon ...

Thanks for the reply - I just missed a great Maggie Valley event which is only an hour from me in fact Copperhead lodge is only 15 minutes. Oh well!

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I haven't heard a peep from my noisy angle drive since installing my new exhaust system. Even my GF is so much quieter now...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Mine was noisy till around 5000 miles , Changed the fluid at 7200 miles and it's good to go . The fluid that came out was yuck nasty black .

·
Registered
619 Posts
No but I did take the cat out of it and a Alpha intake . I have run the crap out of it for the last 7000 miles and I'm guessing the thing just wore in. You can expect a little noise sitting right on top of things with nothing but a thin plastic cup holder between you and a lot of moving parts . Started noisy to the point I did not care for it and as time and miles went by it lost the screw drive sound .

·
Registered
666 Posts
No but I did take the cat out of it and a Alpha intake . I have run the crap out of it for the last 7000 miles and I'm guessing the thing just wore in. You can expect a little noise sitting right on top of things with nothing but a thin plastic cup holder between you and a lot of moving parts . Started noisy to the point I did not care for it and as time and miles went by it lost the screw drive sound .
I think some people want steak at hamburger price LOL

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Dinger check out this thread I did on insulating a major portion of angle drive noise on the Sling:

http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/insulating-angle-drive-noise-on-your-slingshot-mike-mas.6445/

·
Registered
619 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Many of you have lots more miles than this but I installed Royal Purple 75 x 140 in the angle drive at around 500 miles. I just drained that a few days ago at 4988 miles. Oil was black and thick. Good size build up of very fine greasy paste on the drain plug. There were no small metal chunks that I could see. Buildup was like a grease so the particles must be extremely fine or something is just plating out of the oil.
AngleDrive Plug 4988.JPG

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Many of you have lots more miles than this but I installed Royal Purple 75 x 140 in the angle drive at around 500 miles. I just drained that a few days ago at 4988 miles. Oil was black and thick. Good size build up of very fine greasy paste on the drain plug. There were no small metal chunks that I could see. Buildup was like a grease so the particles must be extremely fine or something is just plating out of the oil.
View attachment 24496
Any problem with your axle bearings in that time?

·
Registered
4 Posts
IdleUp, No problems. It runs fairly quiet - or less noise than new. I have not heard a lot of them so not sure what is loud or quiet. No leaks and no strange noises so far. The bike free wheels smooth.

·
Registered
569 Posts
View attachment 24496
molybdenum oil additive?

121 - 140 of 161 Posts