Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

101 - 120 of 159 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
One call to Polaris would be a waste. The field and forum is where the real R&D is accomplished. I'm not trying to convince anyone there is a problem - if you are good with it then keep on riding. That goofy noise is driving me nuts. Why is it every other belt drive bike is quiet except for the SS.
Partly because in no way other than legally is it a bike! It has a substantially larger tube chassis than any 'bike'and that diff noise is resonating throughout it. Just cos its as noisy as an MFer I'm not sure its going to fail, although it won't surprise if it does turn out to be a mini disaster for Polaris.

AH

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just got my SL last week and it definantly has an angle drive issue. It's at the dealer now because the VSC light is on. I asked them to note the whinning from the rear end for furure issues. I drove the demo and it did not have as loud of whine that my new one does.
I would have to agree with most on here that there is a setup issue that needs to be resolved.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Just got my SL last week and it definantly has an angle drive issue. It's at the dealer now because the VSC light is on. I asked them to note the whinning from the rear end for furure issues. I drove the demo and it did not have as loud of whine that my new one does.
I would have to agree with most on here that there is a setup issue that needs to be resolved.
Most likely the demo has quieted down with use, you should see the same with yours.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
What components failed?
According to the post (if you click that text it is a link) he had failed bearings and other miscellaneous sounds and the dealer made a decision to replace the drive. I would guess under the assumption that a defect in the drive was causing other parts to fail frequently?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
The real question is when the bearings fail in the axle are they replacing it with the knowledge of knowing it's just going to fail again.

Also, when they replace the angle driv, you just have the same unit that went bad to begin with, where is this getting us?

It's too bad we don't have a company spokesperson to keep us I formed with regard to a fix that is in the works.

It's a pisser we had so many trips planned and now I'm restricted to local riding. I'm not going out on a trip get stranded and have to live in a motel room for a week or leave my bike in another state unattended.

This sucks $25k for a new bike I can't trust on a road trip!

·
2,333 Posts
The real question is when the bearings fail in the axle are they replacing it with the knowledge of knowing it's just going to fail again.

Also, when they replace the angle driv, you just have the same unit that went bad to begin with, where is this getting us?

It's too bad we don't have a company spokesperson to keep us I formed with regard to a fix that is in the works.

It's a pisser we had so many trips planned and now I'm restricted to local riding. I'm not going out on a trip get stranded and have to live in a motel room for a week or leave my bike in another state unattended.

This sucks $25k for a new bike I can't trust on a road trip!
I am sure you will have no problem selling it.........

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
3300 miles and the drive keeps getting quieter, took an overnight trip over the 4th of July and plan on the trip to Arkansas in September.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I finally picked up my ss in NJ yesterday.. I drove the 2 different demos and noticed the noise ,whine what ever it is. but wasn't a bad noise it just whined a bit. A few weeks ago at my local dealer that "Polaris sent" ..just want to say wow its an amazing machine lots of fun. but after driving 5 hours with traffic back to CT it is very f...... annoying that rear noise. never thought it was gona be this loud.. I don't regret buying it. I love it. and also don't think it's going to break.but this is obviously a mess up..I was told it's because of the belt ummm no I had a few bikes with a belt including a can am Spyder that I just sold n absolutely no noise from the belt ever heard..I hope it quiets down somewhat in the future. But for the meantime I'll see how it goes..and yes I new about this issue read about it..but bought it anyway because this issue wasn't really holding me back ..like I said don't regret it but hopefully quiets down some

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Ok let me re-phrase it so you'll be more comfortable - why is every differential on every car - truck - motorcycle - quiet - yet the SS sounds like its coming apart!
The reason that the SlingShot's rear-drive is not is quiet as a car is simple
Cars use more angle/bevel cut gears (teeth) on their Ring & Pinion and that is why they are quieter
Polaris uses more of a straight cut gears (teeth) on their Ring & Pinion, due to the fact that are stronger - - i have not read on any forum of a rear-drive unit failing in a SlingShot - -and there are some owners who have put a lot more power, then stock to their fatter rear tires and they are not breaking them
................................................ tom n carol

101 - 120 of 159 Posts