Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Boys this has been one of the major things we thought the Slingshot needed when we first saw it. This thread will show the build up and ideas that are going into the Roll Cage setup for the slingshot.

It will also be on our site here is a quick link to the cages once the site is updated
www.slingshotrollcage.com

·
Registered
686 Posts
Are people into this roof, roll cage, roll bar idea? Thought it would get more posts.
I'm totally not.

The SS comes with roll bars, and the whole idea for me is a to have a motorcycle surrogate.

If I need a roof I'll drive my car.

Of course I might feel differently if this was my sole transportation.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I'd love to see visuals on that. I could see that being a big deal for some owners!
Consider my interest piqued!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I could be interested.....

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I don't want windows or a full on roll cage but a simple removable roof would be a very nice option. Shade is your friend when skin cancer runs in the family.

·
Registered
5,165 Posts
I ride my motorcycles at night because of the Texas Summer HEAT (and I've gotten used to riding at night). I would be interested in some type of sun shade/soft top.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I would buy in a instant. I would like to see something with drop down into the attachment area where the roll hoop are bolted so it would look factory. And make a mandrel smooth bend toward the front and then on the front come down and connect OVER the existing tubing. Make a sleeve to sit on the existing tubing. I am thinking you will have to do some cutting on the dash corners cu that wouldn't be a problem. I can see it in my head I just can't say it. Ill try to draw it tonight.

Reactions: jdskycaster

·
Registered
83 Posts
Since I will be using the slingshot as my daily driver in the summer, a cage will be my first and most important mod. I'm looking for something that will significantly increase the SAFETY of the vehicle in the event of a collision. This is the most important aspect of a high quality cage and what it should be designed to do... Save my life! Everyone knows that the way the slingshot is stock will be a disaster in any collision. I'm very hopeful that a high quality cage will quickly fix this problem.

I'm very surprised polaris is not offering this option out of the factory. The last thing we need right now is people getting killed in their slingshots. This will not help the insurance rates or legal battle in a few states...

So why don't we all support a cage and voice our oppinions to Polaris? It will help everyone and save lives.

Personally I don't care how much extra weight is needed to reinforce the cockpit. I will add a turbo and other mods to get my power to weight ratio back up. I'm sure some will stress the importance of light weight. If you can build strong and light weight, even better.

The next factor is how it looks and ability to easily attach other accessories (doors, roof, etc).

·
2,333 Posts
Since I will be using the slingshot as my daily driver in the summer, a cage will be my first and most important mod. I'm looking for something that will significantly increase the SAFETY of the vehicle in the event of a collision. This is the most important aspect of a high quality cage and what it should be designed to do... Save my life! Everyone knows that the way the slingshot is stock will be a disaster in any collision. I'm very hopeful that a high quality cage will quickly fix this problem..
Nick having built and paid to have built a few tube chassis cars I am sorry but it will not, and if your concern is additional safety then with all due respect your daily driver should be a car. With the Slingshot you assume the same or similar risks as with a motorcyle and the proposed added pipework will do nothing to change that fact. Depending on its installation it may even make it worse.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have to agree. Someone wanting to make the SS into a 5 star safety rated commuter is as my father used to say, pissing in the wind. It's not just a cage that will make it safer. You would need airbags both frontal and side impact to even begin to make it a worthwhile endeavor. Then it all has to be tested in order to find out if what has been designed will actually save your life. What you are left with is no longer an SS.

In the end you wind up with something much less safe then a Honda Civic, Mazda 3, Ford Focus.... the list is fairly long, the prices are nearly the same and the safety ratings are proven.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts