Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I see the TRex as an enlarged motorcycle, I see the Slingshot as smaller roadster. The Ecotech and Aisin 5 speed have a lot to do with that. The TRex can barely pull off 30MPG with the big bike motors, the low key 2.4L should be more than happy getting 50MPG while pulling 1100-1500Ibs. The Solstice and Sky were about 2800 pounds and got 30MPG.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I loved these so long ago. But I was younger and a dreamer. I was never going to be able to buy a 60000 $ toy.

I just watched the jay Leno garage thing on these. It's kinda weird looking compared to the slingshot now. There r different engines in the trex. But they have a BMW motrocycle 6 cylinder that has less horse power than the Singshot.

One thing I thought was cool is that the Trex has a roll bar around the whole top so you don't need a helmet, but that varies from state to state.

·
Registered
702 Posts
One thing I thought was cool is that the Trex has a roll bar around the whole top so you don't need a helmet, but that varies from state to state.
The laws are for motorcycles, so I'm afraid we're stuck with helmets.

Though maybe it won't be enforced.

·
Registered
189 Posts
QUOTE="PilotMan, post: 74, member: 18"]I see the TRex as an enlarged motorcycle, I see the Slingshot as smaller roadster. The Ecotech and Aisin 5 speed have a lot to do with that. The TRex can barely pull off 30MPG with the big bike motors, the low key 2.4L should be more than happy getting 50MPG while pulling 1100-1500Ibs. The Solstice and Sky were about 2800 pounds and got 30MPG.[/QUOTE]
Me thinks thee be a mite optimistic about what gas mileage the Slingshot will get. But remember, gas mileage depends on the driver, or as some say...'Real world driving.' Hasn't anyone driven one on a trip long enough at normal speeds to get a reading on the MPG? Oh, most of you guys are having something called Global Warming Winter. I see, maybe later.
I get 50 MPH on my Suzuki B King(s) with 1340ccs and 167 stock HP because when I ride in traffic, I shift UP. Staying in the lower gears and whining along is what wastes fuel. When you have torque there is no reason to stay in the lower gears and I would imagine that the Slingshot with 2400ccs and only 1750 pounds would have adequate torque. I mean, when we are riding there is no reason to always be in the 'ready to race' mode and in a lower gear all the time, is there?

·
Registered
210 Posts
I get 28.4 no matter how I drive. Did everything I could just to get 30 ONE TIME and it just won't do it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I get 28.4 no matter how I drive. Did everything I could just to get 30 ONE TIME and it just won't do it.
There we go. I was replying to Pilot man thinking 50 MPG and I knew the Slingshot no way would get that, but your figure of only 28.4 is even lower than I anticipated. Still, won't make me cancel my order for one. Now, if you cruise at 90....

Just wondering, what was the MPG for the Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice? Of course they had a more aerodynamic body and the extra weight would not kill it that much.

Gas mileage will affect me some because I am the type that tends to take longer trips such as to The Dragon near Gatlinburg, TN and also to my daughter's home near KC, MO. Way out west would not be out of the realm also. I have pre-thought about driving the Slingshot cross country. It if rains and you can keep moving, you most likely will stay reasonably dry. (It works that way on my motorcycles). If I get caught in traffic or at a red light and have to slow or stop...presto, I am soaked.

The Slingshot would be the same way I imagine, above the area of your knees or so. The advantage a motorcycle has is that once out of the rain, the wind dries you. In the Slingshot, you would stay wet and have to get out and start running behind the vehicle. "Keep driving honey, I'll try to keep up, and then it will be your turn!"

·
Registered
189 Posts
That's why I'll have good rain gear onboard at all times.
Since a lot of the time I might have feminine companionship such as a wife in the other seat, "Ok baby, you can drive too," It will be fun trying to squeeze all the stuff she as a woman THINKS she needs to go on the road. I'll probably end up with one pair of jeans, one shirt and washing my undies out in the motel sink because she will need all the space behind one seat and much of the other. Me? I've ridden a motorcycle 830 miles at one time non stop and needed nothing except an extra pair of socks and a toothbrush. Feels good to change them after a few days on the road....

·
Registered
272 Posts
taller windshield coming in March I hear, should help the rain issue and will likely help the aerodynamics a little. I get 26.5 mpg and I am sure it has to do with wind drag and tire width and the engine setup. A 2L turbo charged engine would be more efficient. But I don't care, I never worried about gas mileage in my motorcycles or snow mobiles in the past because they are not daily drivers.

Compared to the t rex:
Lower top end
very close off the line
no roof options (yet) but that is just a matter of time
handling seems better
More comfortable
styling
I can actually get in and out of the ss without crawling on the floor and walking on the seat
maintenance costs of the ss are reasonable, watch out with the t rex
the $ 30,000 I saved on my SL over a base t rex will pay for a lot of gas, parts and future mods

I'm quite happy with the ss. However I think you will see the ss price go up because all the nit picking will likely prompt Polaris to make refinements and they can't do that for free.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Yes, I'm sure the price will never get cheaper. This is the beginning of the end for the TRex. Unless they update and drop their price, they will be dead in the water.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in fla and get 26 mpg every day no matter how I drive . Took to tenn in fall rode I75 to Macon then back roads to dragon . What a blast! 26 mpg fun. Everyone should ride the smoky mnts!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
+1 and I'm an ole fart that drives easy. Makes no diff tho since I didn't buy it for the milage. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
I get at least 30 MPG no matter how hard I drive it. I've checked it by the computer and by the actual mileage divided number of gallons used. The computer has been spot on the times I have compared. With the cruise on at a steady 60 MPH I get just a shade over 33 MPG on a 90 mile round trip. I do have a CAI, header, and tune by Bob and it's a 2016.5 with shorter type ripper windscreen. I also run 32 pounds in the front, and 33 pounds in the rear tire. You should get more than 26 IMO if it's tuned correctly.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts