Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm on my phone and I can't find the search function so I apologize if this has been discussed already.

I think the T-Rex has been around for about fifteen years (although I could be wrong) and I can probably count on one hand how many I've seen on the road or at a motorcycle gathering. I want the Slingshot to do well but how is it going to successful when a similar vehicle like the T-Rex apparently hasn't? Or maybe it has but they're not around here.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
T-Rex pitfalls in a nutshell:
1. Too expensive ($65k)
2. No dealer network
3. "hand crafted" = not mass produced = expensive to make
4. Nearly impossible to get into
5. Uses motorcycle everything - sequential gearbox, screaming motor, switchgear, instruments.
6. Very ugly. This is subjective and I think it looks ugly good vs ugly bad but no denying it's ugly
7. Extremely cramped inside.
8. Too expensive ($65k) for what you get

The Slingshot is almost opposite in all those categories. The most important will be #1 and #8.

I suggest this read - not only funny but done on the 2014 model:
http://jalopnik.com/2014-campagna-t-rex-16-s-the-jalopnik-review-1441919628

By the way, instead of someone's "garage" Polaris is a $4.0+ Billion company with a huge dealer network (the key to being mass market):
http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/polaris-industries-beats-on-q2-earnings-revenues-ups-view.145/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well written. Lots of information. Yes, Polaris has deep pockets. I hope it does well. I'm anxious to see more than the teasers.

·
Registered
167 Posts
1. Too expensive ($65k)
2. No dealer network
5. Uses motorcycle everything - sequential gearbox, screaming motor, switchgear, instruments.
6. Very ugly. This is subjective and I think it looks ugly good vs ugly bad but no denying it's ugly

The Slingshot is almost opposite in all those categories. The most important will be #1 and #8.
You can say all that stuff all you want, but you can't put Lambo doors on a Slingshot so the T-Rex wins. HANDS DOWN!!!!
barfing.gif

·
Registered
620 Posts
1. Too expensive ($65k)
2. No dealer network

I suggest this read - not only funny but done on the 2014 model:
http://jalopnik.com/2014-campagna-t-rex-16-s-the-jalopnik-review-1441919628

By the way, instead of someone's "garage" Polaris is a $4.0+ Billion company with a huge dealer network (the key to being mass market):
http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/polaris-industries-beats-on-q2-earnings-revenues-ups-view.145/
Well put

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
LOL

How do you get into that Kia Soul with the door "open"?

Some cars were just never engineered to have suicide doors - like all the ones that don't begin with "Lamborghini". :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
The T-rex is a nice lookin ride, but I'll take the open air and an extra $40K in my pocket any day. The weather is too nice here to be boxed in all the time.

·
Registered
843 Posts
You got right with #1-2-3 for #4 i live in Québec so its easier to find one...#5...FALSE!! Come on! lol...#6 Like you say its subjective i really like the front of the Slingshot remind me the X-Bow, but the tail of the T-Rex was 110% better than the Slingshot...#7 depends on your physical but nobody in my friends talk about that! #8 Your right!
Have a T-Rex for 2 years and sold it last year...the best thing i drive in my life...but wheater and monthly payment , i sold it.
For the price asking for the Slignshot i am very curious to make a test drive to compare!!!....

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
What I meant about #5 is the engine and gearbox. It now uses a BMW motorcycle engine and a sequential gearbox modified with reverse vs. the SS with a Pontiac Solstice car drivetrain.

I kinda like the looks of the T-Rex but I think it is even more polarizing than the SS. I think it is really a love it or hate it kinda car more than the SS.

I will be VERY curious what your thoughts are after a test drive so please post up when you get the chance to drive one in Sept. or Oct.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Throw some pics of that beast on here too.

·
Registered
843 Posts
What I meant about #5 is the engine and gearbox. It now uses a BMW motorcycle engine and a sequential gearbox modified with reverse vs. the SS with a Pontiac Solstice car drivetrain.

I kinda like the looks of the T-Rex but I think it is even more polarizing than the SS. I think it is really a love it or hate it kinda car more than the SS.

I will be VERY curious what your thoughts are after a test drive so please post up when you get the chance to drive one in Sept. or Oct.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! Throw some pics of that beast on here too.
The dealer say at the middle of Sept we can make test drive...have to wait!!!

Which beast pics you want?!

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
A photo album in the photos section would be cool. If you have closeups of the drivetrain and your favorite angles of it would be cool. Not many people have seen TRex's in real life.

1 - 20 of 248 Posts