Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I LOVE helicopters and I have also stayed current in fixed wing. I got the marriage ultimatum 60% of the way through my heli rating. I have been very blessed in life so no complaints. I intend on finishing it in the next couple of years.
Soloed in a R22, the Slingshot has been the only other vehicle (and there has been many) that has put a similar big ear to ear grin on my face when I strap in!:D

·
Registered
1,207 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

the r44 is the most fun i have ever had, period. come on down south and ill give you the famous turbo ride. did a round trip to key west last week. glassy water, saw so much stuff in the water from sharks to bone fish. even landed at a couple off airport lz. one resturant and this marriot in key largo.
by the way, what is the back log in time to get a ss up there?

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,685 Posts

the r44 is the most fun i have ever had, period. come on down south and ill give you the famous turbo ride. did a round trip to key west last week. glassy water, saw so much stuff in the water from sharks to bone fish. even landed at a couple off airport lz. one resturant and this marriot in key largo.
One dealer(fixmytoys) said he has 11 on order. He has only received 1 so far. My dealer is waiting on 5 and 6, already delivered 4 SS . I don't know how many preorders my dealer has. I was number one in Michigan.:D My parents live in Kissimee. I May be Slinging down there in the summer.

·
3,685 Posts

Would you choose helicopter over plane?And I assume they are different licenses? I would love to go for a ride. I jumped out of both in the army. I prefer to jump out of helicopters, they can slow down more.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I agree, I grabbed stick time in the R44 whenever I had the chance!
Back log is still a little hard to estimate right now, there were delays in initial October shipping dates. Shipping started during the last half of November and is still continuing. The current longest wait times have been for the Titanium models. Polaris is still communicating that the majority of pre-orders will be filled before January. I believe after January wait times will be reduced to a couple of weeks as production gets ramped up and shipping kinks have all been worked out.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Would you choose helicopter over plane?And I assume they are different licenses?
Those would be fighting words at some airport hangers! ;)
It does require a completely separate license and training Wolf, I also prefer helicopters but the cost to operate and fly is prohibitive for many pilots so planes are more common place.
It's amazing how many airplane pilots will tell you that helicopters scare them and are not interested at all.
Helicopter instructors actually prefer non fixed wing pilots, claiming they are easier to train. I love them and every time I get a chance I jump right in!:)

·
3,685 Posts
Those would be fighting words at some airport hangers! ;)
It does require a completely separate license and training Wolf, I also prefer helicopters but the cost to operate and fly is prohibitive for many pilots so planes are more common place.
It's amazing how many airplane pilots will tell you that helicopters scare them and are not interested at all.
Helicopter instructors actually prefer non fixed wing pilots, claiming they are easier to train. I love them and every time I get a chance I jump right in!:)
I am not looking for a fight:rolleyes: I think they are both cool. I am not a pilot, but have always been interested. The older I get the more I feel I should Just do it. We only have so many years in us. Want to make the most of it.;) I know they have planes with parachutes attached to them. Do they have helicopters with parachutes. Safety first:D

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The older I get the more I feel I should Just do it. We only have so many years in us. Want to make the most of it.;) I know they have planes with parachutes attached to them. Do they have helicopters with parachutes. Safety first:D
Absolutely Wolf, if you have that yearning I would go for it. Just about every flight school has a "introductory" or "Demo" flight for interested people at a substantial savings. Do a search for flight schools in your area and go on a demo ride. It will be done with a professional flight instructor and they will give you the controls for a little bit giving you a good feel for things to see if you like it.

At that time they can break down pricing and explain things. What's nice about both is you can do it at your own pace. I would make sure you invest enough cash at the start to get you to the point of your first solo flights. Usually 10 to 15 hours of flight time, then you can break away from training and do a little casual solo flying when you want to without paying for the instructor.

·
Registered
243 Posts
IDK guys. Ill take my chances on he ground. I'd probably hit a power line or some shit texting while in the air.

·
3,685 Posts
Absolutely Wolf, if you have that yearning I would go for it. Just about every flight school has a "introductory" or "Demo" flight for interested people at a substantial savings. Do a search for flight schools in your area and go on a demo ride. It will be done with a professional flight instructor and they will give you the controls for a little bit giving you a good feel for things to see if you like it.

At that time they can break down pricing and explain things. What's nice about both is you can do it at your own pace. I would make sure you invest enough cash at the start to get you to the point of your first solo flights. Usually 10 to 15 hours of flight time, than you can break away from training and do a little casual solo flying when you want to without paying for the instructor.
Thanks for the encouragement and info. Merry belated Christmas and goodnight.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I am not looking for a fight:rolleyes: I think they are both cool. I am not a pilot, but have always been interested. The older I get the more I feel I should Just do it. We only have so many years in us. Want to make the most of it.;) I know they have planes with parachutes attached to them. Do they have helicopters with parachutes. Safety first:D
While nothing is impossible, it would be very difficult to put a parachute on a chopper. How to get the canopy past the blades, etc. but the helicopter has a kind of built in chute. Google 'Autorotation' for what chopper pilots do in the event of engine failure.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts