Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends, I am new to this forum. I have owned many motorcycles and have 200k on them total. My latest is a kawaski drifter with a champion side car. I am looking at the slingshot & a Morgan. Ian 55 just had a hip replacement and am looking to change my ride yet again. Any thoughts between the two besides cost, morgan in 20 to 40k more! I look forward to and and all comments. I used to drive a wing that has 75k after 4 years. Thx

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hello Friends, I am new to this forum. I have owned many motorcycles and have 200k on them total. My latest is a kawaski drifter with a champion side car. I am looking at the slingshot & a Morgan. Ian 55 just had a hip replacement and am looking to change my ride yet again. Any thoughts between the two besides cost, morgan in 20 to 40k more! I look forward to and and all comments. I used to drive a wing that has 75k after 4 years. Thx
Hi Machack
I think your best bet would be to go to a local dealer who has an SS for test rides, then you can get in and try it out and see if it works for you. Not to sure about the Morgan unless you are purchasing from a private seller. Good luck and enjoy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RuneRider. I am on an island nantucket. I will do this when I am aloud to drive again. Moms in Foxboro is our closest dealer. I was there a year ago looking at the new Indian. Which was a sweet teaching, thats another story. Right now I m doing research since I have nothing but time on my hands.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think a SS would be a good fit you man and at the price range you can't beat it. The morgan is definitely nice but also a lot more expensive than the SS. My dad has been taking care of my SS while i have been out here and he loves it! He too had a hip replacement back in 2009 when he had seizure while driving his truck. He seems to be able to get in and out of it okay even being 6'2. He has been riding motorcycles since he was a kid and now has trouble so he had to sell his bike, but the slingshot still allows him the ability to get out and still enjoy the thrill of riding without having to worry about balancing the bike. I agree with RuneRider though, i think you should go to a dealer that has one and give it a test ride, but I'm warning you, if you test drive it then your not gonna wanna leave with out. Good luck on your choice and take care. =)

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
574 Posts
My father has had both his hips replaced. getting in and out was the only thing He didn't like I Built a top with grab handles to help in getting and out it's a lot easier on him. Find a guy in your area that has a Twist top and get in and out a few times. Wear a heavy coat during your testing to limit your arm movements.

·
Registered
567 Posts
The Morgan will be a harder vehicle to get in and out of vs Slingshot. The Slingshot will feel more car like with the front wheels being so far apart. I drove a friends Ace which is a Morgan now and wish I could have owned it but then I was driving a JZR and Triking Moto Guzzi that I bought from same friend. And now owning the Slingshot and the traffic on the roads , I am glad that this is the vehicle I have ended up with and not the Morgan,JZR or Triking. These 3 vehicles are on the small size and going down major highways or interstates the Slingshot is more noticeable and wife hated me owning JZR & triking for I could have gone under tractor trailers and from one side
to other side and not hit.
The cockpits on Morgan are much smaller in width and front to back and if you are of any size in height or in the belly you should have removal steering wheel to get into one.
I am 6' and 185 lbs and I needed to remove steering wheel for easier access to get in.
The slingshot much easier to get in and out of.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
First of all welcome to the site and secondly there is really no comparison to each other besides the fact they're 3 wheelers. I'm in the exact same boat with the fact that I sold my last bike (08 Ultra after 45 yrs. of riding) this year just a week after buying my SS. My right hip is fried and both my shoulders. The Morgan is nice but it really has been stuck in a time warp with it's air cooled engine and spoked wheels. Don't get me wrong it's still a nice piece of kit but much less room than a SS. Watch the video of the comparison between a Morgan, Can Am Spyder and the Sling. You'll get the picture. So far this year we have clocked 6000 miles since June. I will admit the Sling is not perfect but nothing is and I'm the perfect example.:)
Ride one or drive one what ever you want to call it and with 95% certainty I will say you'll be chomping at the bit to get one.
Good luck

·
Registered
567 Posts
You know when you want a 3 wheeler it is for lack of balance ,the oddness of 3 wheeler (MY Case), other health reasons,
or 2 wheels is just getting to heavy to hold up (Also Me with passenger on bike).
When I owned a Honda S2000 it was to plain for me to own after having JZR & Triking 3 wheelers and yet that car was a Slingshot on 4 wheels but it looked boring. But today my Slingshot body is totally removed to make my own body to be different from others. I feel these SS 's will grow in time and will be a more common site in few years . Only because baby boomers are getting older and still want to feel air in their face to continue.
I will have as much into SS when I am done with Turboing,Body, Suspension, Brakes and interior as a Morgan 3 cost.
But it will be custom and if you owned a Morgan 3 chances are you will be doing same thing to it and raising cost of it
20k more than it cost just like SS is doing now to my ownership.
But the SS is a beautiful machine to have fun and build it to your requirements. But NO machine is perfect but you have to want one to buy one. I hated the looks of SS day one but it grew on me to buy one but thought I could leave it alone but 4 weeks of being new it is apart and so my first impression of it should have told me the way I really thought . But I am having fun with it. That is what counts.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I still put more miles on my Shadow than my Sling. They are not the same. The slingshot doesn't lean into corners. they both have their place.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have had both hips replaced and have no trouble getting in and out of the Slingshot btw I am 63 years young. I like the fact that the Sling uses a car engine and trany rather than a v-twin motorcycle engine ( but thats just me ).

·
Registered
5,285 Posts
From some of the problems I've heard about with the Morgan, I strongly recommend the OP check the Morgan forums. Both vehicles seem to have their own types of problems, but, based on what I've heard, Morgan appears to do an even worse job of supporting their customers than Polaris seems to.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
From some of the problems I've heard about with the Morgan, I strongly recommend the OP check the Morgan forums. Both vehicles seem to have their own types of problems, but, based on what I've heard, Morgan appears to do an even worse job of supporting their customers than Polaris seems to.
You are right BKL.
This Morgan owner told me that he has owned since new and had to fix everything himself. He loves it but took a real interest in the Slingshot !

·
Registered
567 Posts
When you drive the smaller Morgan 3 ,JZR or Triking they feel antique in sound & driving experience .
With the motor hanging out the front and the exhaust running down the sides of the body it is one
of the best experiences that you can feel and the handling pretty decent considering how small and
narrow these 3 Wheelers are.
But none will do what Slingshot can do in straight speed or cornering. Not even close but fun factor
the Ace / Morgan is just fun..... But to drive long distance the Slingshot comfort and handling by far
is superior over the others I have owned or driven....And the dealer network is nothing to Polaris.
But if you extra cash a Morgan sure looks good in any garage or room.
Just like my harley in living room and beauty to look at.

Attachments

·
Registered
666 Posts
Thanks RuneRider. I am on an island nantucket. I will do this when I am aloud to drive again. Moms in Foxboro is our closest dealer. I was there a year ago looking at the new Indian. Which was a sweet teaching, thats another story. Right now I m doing research since I have nothing but time on my hands.
I am 72 and had a hip replaced I have no problems with my SS I even put a top on it and still get in and out just fine also I am 6 1 and 235 lbs and this thing is comfortable

·
Registered
555 Posts
The sling is surprisingly comfortable. Longest single ride to date is 1050 miles in 19 hours. Could have gone further.

Would definitely buy a Morgan as well if I could afford. All they have in common is three wheels. Strangers will never say your Morgan looks like a batmobile, for one.

As for Morgan reliability, what is the surprise? Last I heard, they make 500 a year, in Britain. Doesn't suggest to me that it ain't a sweet ride. I have friends with MGs from the 40's and 50's. Stunning cars to look at, and take me to task in the twisties. Would not mind one of those in my living room either. Reliability is not one of their merits.

Apples to oranges, maybe. I think more like apples to ice cream. A place at my table for both.

Sent from my brain using an iPad

1 - 19 of 19 Posts