Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

121 - 122 of 122 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 R SlingShot
58 Posts
Just got back from a 7 state maiden voyage on my 2020R
We left our N.Ga. home with our full-faced helmets. Took them off in N. Carolina as we were told they were not required. Since our luggage was full, we had to keep the helmets between my wife's legs. While we were in Pa., we both agreed that we would not wear those helmets on the trip anymore. I went to a FedEx dropoff and sent them home. PA does not require helmets so no issue there.
We went home on "blue" highways. We knew Maryland was a helmet state but were in it for about 30 minutes. I was actually more concerned about my self-defense item. We stopped at a Polaris dealer in WVa. and asked about the requirements. We were told that no helmet was required but that we might get stopped in Va.
We entered VA on rt. 220, a two lane country road. Saw one cop but the way I see it, if he is coming towards us, we look like a European sports car. If he is behind us, he can't see our heads.
But out of caution, when we got to Roanoke, we went to a Motorcycle outfitters and picked up two novelty helmets. They are very light and you barely know you have them on. They also act as sun shades.

Personally, I think wearing a heavy helmet in a seat-belted vehicle is suicide. Put your helmet on and snap you head forward. Feel the load on the back of your neck. Helmets protect a motorcycle rider's head when he is ejected from the bike and hitting a solid surface. The rider's head and torso generally are on the same trajectory throughout an accident. When you are restrained into a seat, your head will resist the direction of the impact as stated in Newton's first law. Adding the mass of a heavy helmet greatly increases the chance of a neck snap.

Me and my son on a father's day jaunt

121 - 122 of 122 Posts