Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

81 - 100 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Illinois considers the SS to be an autocycle. Regular driver's license is all that's required. No helmet unless you are under 21.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
This may have been added already but in Alabama you DO NOT need a motorcycle license. They passed a law in September 2015 that eliminated the motorcycle license requiment.

On a completely weird and related note..... Alabama is the only state in the US that does not require a motorcycle license to ride a motorcycle.

Alabama only state not to require motorcycle license; lawmakers trying to change that

They give the test and endorsement as a way to reciprocate with other states. So if you never left Alabama you could ride a motorcycle with a standard drivers license.

Strange isn't it.

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
This may have been added already but in Alabama you DO NOT need a motorcycle license. They passed a law in September 2015 that eliminated the motorcycle license requiment.

On a completely weird and related note..... Alabama is the only state in the US that does not require a motorcycle license to ride a motorcycle.

Alabama only state not to require motorcycle license; lawmakers trying to change that

They give the test and endorsement as a way to reciprocate with other states. So if you never left Alabama you could ride a motorcycle with a standard drivers license.

Strange isn't it.
That's because they're just used to saying, "Hold my beer & watch this $h1t!"

·
Registered
5 Posts
My wife took here driving test yesterday in Missouri. They told her she was the first one in the state to try the new SS drivers course, and apparently they have some work to do. Basically it was the same test at the motorcycle test (cones, turns etc) but no one has figured out that you can't actually see the cones, or physically make the required turns due to the size of the cones and the turning radius of the SS! She said it was quite the spectacle. She did pass, but when she was done, she offered to let the testers try the course, and they all declined :)
Thanks for the info, Husker Sling. Planning a road trip thru your beautiful state soon: what are the helmet laws re: SS in MO? I see the motorcycle laws say they are required, but I am hoping maybe with SS as an autocycle they will be different. Thank you, in advance, for your help.
Steve

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
In MO a helmet is required but the seatbelt isn't. The language In The autocycle bill did not include the Slingshot.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I PM's the North Carolina DMV with some questions and these are the answers I received. Yes the slingshot is classified as a MC and does required helmet in the state of NC. The newly passed autocycle bill does not apply to the slingshot.
1. If you have a current M endorsement on your DL do you need a special endorsement for a 3 wheel motorcycle (which the slingshot is classified as)?No, the M endorsement covers a three wheel or a two wheel motorcycle.

2. For someone who doesn't have a current M endorsement on their DL is there a special MSF class for 3 wheel MC's or do they have to get the two wheel M endorsement.Yes, MSF does have a three wheel motorcycle course, which if completed would result in a restriction *9 “3-wheel motorcycle only” being placed on the license.

3. If they need to get the two wheel M endorsement since the slingshot is classed as a MC by NC can the driving test be taken using the slingshot.No, if the 3-wheel motorcycle was used for the skills test, then the *9 “3-wheel motorcycle only would be placed on the license.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Utah update:

As of last week, the legislature/governor signed a bill deleting the requirement that we have a
motorcycle endorsement to drive the Slingshot..All else remains the same.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I Live in PA. I am picking up a new Slingshot from my dealer tomorrow. According to my dealer I do not need a motorcycle licence to drive the slingshot. When dealing with my insurance company this is what we came up with. Autocycles FAQ and this AUTOCYCLE LAW 2016. Also according to polaris's website I found this License Requirements by State | Polaris Slingshot. I hope I don't have a problem driving this thing home this weekend with no motorcycle endorsement.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Would be nice to update the original posted information to add helmet requirements and HOV authorizations. @4Nines are you still active?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Not sure if it has been corrected yet but the Oklahoma laws a way wrong. In Oklahoma the Slingshot is licensed and insured as a motor, however, it is considered an "autocycle" and therefore the motorcycle endorsement on your license is no longer required.

I'll try to upload the new [2015] law.

LC

Attachments

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Not sure if it has been corrected yet but the Oklahoma laws a way wrong. In Oklahoma the Slingshot is licensed and insured as a motor, however, it is considered an "autocycle" and therefore the motorcycle endorsement on your license is no longer required.

I'll try to upload the new [2015] law.

LC
Yes, definitely do not trust any website except for your local government. And even then it's not a sure thing.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Colorado update
The Slingshot is classified as an autocycle in Colorado House Bill 17-1044 (regarding autocycles) was signed by Governor Hickenlooper, exempting Slingshot operators from having to carry a motorcycle endorsement and requiring a valid driver’s license. Seat belt use is mandatory for all passengers.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts

And the insurance companies rejoice .....
Really? I pay far less for my Sling than I do my GMC truck or GoldWing, and it's good, high-coverage insurance.

·
2,333 Posts
Really? I pay far less for my Sling than I do my GMC truck or GoldWing, and it's good, high-coverage insurance.
Fact ...every time a state goes to the "Autocycle" designation and removes specialty licensing requirements so anyone with the ink still wet on their drivers license can operate a Slingshot rates start to climb ....quick.... who do you think is one of the driving forces lobbying for the change ....

......... :shifty:

81 - 100 of 122 Posts