Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

41 - 60 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oklahoma is looking at changing the license requirements for vehicles like they Slingshot. I didn't have a motorcycle license do I had to take there skills test, I used my SS to take the test. The senior DPS examiner that gave me the test told me that DPS is trying to change Oklahoma requirements. She admitted that it was ridiculous for someone that doesn't ride a traditional motorcycle to have to have a motorcycle endorsement. By the way she didn't ride with me for the test she followed me on a DPS car. I now can legally ride a crotch rocket, watch out!
I am getting my slingshot tomorrow, Do you know if the requirements have changed or do I also have to get my motorcycle license?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I am getting my slingshot tomorrow, Do you know if the requirements have changed or do I also have to get my motorcycle license?
No change as far as I know. Still need a "m" endorsement and you can take the skills test in your slingshot. Have you though about coming to the Slingshot Ozarks Invasion?

·
Registered
160 Posts
State: Connecticut
Operator license required

All you need is a Motorcycle License to ride a Polaris Slingshot.
Can I use the Polaris Slingshot to pass the skills test?
No, you cannot use the Polaris Slingshot to pass the skills test and get the required operator license.
Can the skills test be waived?
No, the skills test cannot be waived.
Can I obtain a motorcycle learner's permit?
Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DMV / DOT office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: DMV / DOT Website
Connecticut DMV is prepared to begin licensing autocycles on July 1, the day the new law takes effect. Unlike a motorcycle, an autocycle will not require an “M” classification on a driver’s license to operate.
All you need is a valid drivers license and Ct is a no helmet required state.

·
Registered
2 Posts
No change as far as I know. Still need a "m" endorsement and you can take the skills test in your slingshot. Have you though about coming to the Slingshot Ozarks Invasion?
I just saw that, That's a pretty close drive and my parents live out in NW Arkansas so I would be interested

·
Registered
541 Posts
MICHIGAN
While I do have a MC endorsement my wife was checking with the State of Michigan as to licensing requirements for her to get an endorsement and testing. Here's a copy of what was sent us regarding Michigan's laws for the Slingshot.

The slingshots are classified as an autocycle. The Vehicle Code was amended in November 2013 to no longer require a motorcycle endorsement to operate an autocycle.

257.312a Motorcycle indorsement; issuance, suspension, revocation, cancellation, or renewal; special restricted license to operate moped; requirements; expiration; duration; fees.

Sec. 312a.

(1) A person, before operating a motorcycle, other than an autocycle, upon a public street or highway in this state, shall procure a motorcycle indorsement on his or her operator's or chauffeur's license. The license shall be issued, suspended, revoked, canceled, or renewed in accordance with and governed by this act.

The definition of “autocycle” was not amended.

257.25a “Autocycle” defined.

Sec. 25a.

“Autocycle” means an enclosed motorcycle that is equipped with safety belts, rollbar, windshield, wipers, steering wheel, and equipment otherwise required on a motorcycle, and which has not more than 3 wheels in contact with the roadway at any 1 time.

Kyle Binkley, Analyst

Driver Testing Section

Driver Programs Division

Dept. Phone 517-241-6850

Fax 517-373-0964
Also while talking to the SOS official they told her there was no testing for the Slingshot either. Just as long as one has a valid drivers license & insurance requirements they were good.
Larry

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
The slingshots are classified as an autocycle. The Vehicle Code was amended in November 2013 to no longer require a motorcycle endorsement to operate an autocycle.

“Autocycle” means an enclosed motorcycle that is equipped with safety belts, rollbar, windshield, wipers, steering wheel, and equipment otherwise required on a motorcycle, and which has not more than 3 wheels in contact with the roadway at any 1 time.

That is the best thing I have ever read. I just printed this and laminated it. All I truly needed was one definition that was accepted by any state on the Slingshot being ENCLOSED. I never knew I liked MICHIGAN so much. Thanks for posting this ...... My paperwork is complete. I already had what I needed but this is just like putting sprinkles on my cake....

Now for anybody that has the other chart that has each state broken down showing HELMET EXEMPTIONS... If there is an exemption for ENCLOSED cab. Michigan is a state that classifies the SS as ENCLOSED.

Why does it matter????

Because the only argument I have EVER had with any official is that there is no clear definition of ENCLOSED. Well guess what....... Here is a state that has made an official ruling on what they feel is ENCLOSED.

AND ITS EXACTLY WHAT I SAID IT WAS ORIGINALLY!

AND I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT IT BEING AN AUTOCYCLE. All I wanted was a state to DEFINE the Slingshot as ENCLOSED.

BLESS YOU MICHIGAN!

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The Slingshot does not meet this standard:
Autocycle” means an enclosed motorcycle that is equipped with safety belts, rollbar, windshield, wipers, steering wheel, and equipment otherwise required on a motorcycle, and which has not more than 3 wheels in contact with the roadway at any 1 time.
How do you address the windshield or wiper requirement? It has no wipers and the wind screens do not meet the dot standard of a windshield.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Some people have questioned if your home state law would allow you to operate in other states that require a MC endorsement. This language would indicate it does not.
"A person, before operating a motorcycle,other than an autocycle, upon a public street or highway in this state"

·
Registered
541 Posts
Guys I'm as surprised by what we found out today as you all are. Yea I get what's said about windshields & wipers but apparently the other features were enough to stick the Slingshot in the "auto cycles" classification. Whatever even the State Police she talked to today weren't 100% sure where the SOS would rule. That being said we've printed out a couple copies to have with us in case we're ever stopped. But as noted the first sentence does say the Slingshots are classified as autocycles.
Larry

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I would suggest getting this info on official letter head from your DMV to use in court if necessary. An email from an analyst won't over ride the wording of the law in court.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
This is from VT
§ 1256. Motorcycles-Headgear

A person may not operate or ride upon a motorcycle upon a highway unless he or she properly wears protective headgear of a type that conforms to the federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards contained in 49 C.F.R. § 571.218, as may be amended. The requirement of this section shall not apply to occupants of fully enclosed autocycles. (Added 1967, No. 264 (Adj. Sess.), § 1; amended 2009, No. 39, § 3; 2013, No. 189 (Adj. Sess.), § 37.)

(18)(A) "Motorcycle" shall mean any motor vehicle having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground, and shall include autocycles but exclude motor-driven cycles, golf carts, track driven vehicles, tractors, and electric personal assistive mobility devices.

(B) "Autocycle" means a three-wheeled motorcycle:

(i) in which the occupants sit with their legs forward;

(ii) designed to be controlled with a steering wheel and pedals; and

(iii) equipped with safety belts for all occupants.

(C) "Fully enclosed autocycle" means an autocycle equipped with a windshield and that has full top and side enclosures capable of supporting the vehicle's weight and protecting the occupants when the vehicle is resting on the enclosures.
Pretty clear here...

·
Registered
251 Posts
So what's up with Texas? This says a Motorcycle license is required, but the original announcement said auto license is all that is required.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
yep, i love you guys.....:kiss::kiss::kiss:. Keep the info coming..... Everyone is correct about states like Alabama not having a clear interpretation of what "enclosed" means. But as two judges have told me.... Keep all the info you have and make it easy to access and clear for someone to look at.

I haven't every really had an issue in the 10,000 miles I have put on the SS. I have even sat in the median of a 4-lane with several Alabama troopers just for the fun of it showing the SS off. And they all agreed with my assessment. And I have spoke to many other troopers and they also agreed. Actually the only official that didn't agree was a local city cop. He hates to breath fresh air i believe. And he really dislikes me. I used to dispatch for the city when I was in college and for some reason he was always a smart ass to me.

Im sure soon all the states will push it into the auto cycle category and they won't require a helmet. But until then I just have to lay low and keep my paperwork all nice and neat and in the glovebox. And if it comes to getting a ticket I guess I will just have to take it to the courtroom. No worries here at all.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Regarding Texas:

84(R) SB 449 - Enrolled version - Bill Analysis

Looks like this part is saying an Autocycle is not being restricted in the way other "motorcycles" are for a class M endorsement:

SECTION 4. Amends Section 521.085(b), Transportation Code, to provide that Subsection (a) (authorizing a license holder to operate any vehicle of the type for which that class of license is issued and any lesser type of vehicle other than a motorcycle or moped) does not prohibit a license holder from operating a lesser type of vehicle that is a motorcycle described by Section 521.001(a)(6-a) (defining "motorcycle") or an autocycle as defined by Section 501.008.

This is what it is modifying, I believe it is saying an autocycle defined as a motorcycle does not apply to this "other than a motorcycle" statement.

Sec. 521.085. TYPE OF VEHICLE AUTHORIZED. (a) Unless prohibited by Chapter 522, and except as provided by Subsection (b), the license holder may operate any vehicle of the type for which that class of license is issued and any lesser type of vehicle other than a motorcycle or moped.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
One of the issues with the autocycle legislation is that it wasn't initiated for the Slingshot. Most changes for the autocycle legislation were done to accommodate the Elio motors vehicle. It is fully enclosed, has a windshield with wipers and has the passenger sitting behind the driver. The Slingshot isn't the same as the Elio, that's why the Slingshot doesn't fit the autocycle designation in most states.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
How many Elio things are on the highway? I just found my answer,,, 0 units are actually in consumers hands. just prototypes are out in the world.

I just read they are only 240 million dollars away from being able to start production. And they have aprox 38,000 preorders.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
How many Elio things are on the highway? I just found my answer,,, 0 units are actually in consumers hands. just prototypes are out in the world.

I just read they are only 240 million dollars away from being able to start production. And they have aprox 38,000 preorders.
They keep saying they are on target to start production next year, but next year never comes.

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I've been following the Michigan autocycle discussion, and, yes, the standard for several years now has been that any defined autocycle must have wipers.

I'm currently looking into some options for electronic, vacuum, and manual wipers that could be added to a SS to thereby reclassify it in this manner.

41 - 60 of 118 Posts