Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
Our dealer even offered us our deposit back since they can't deliver, but we told him we wanted to stay on the list. Do you know how we could speed up the process? It gets cold and snowy in Indiana pretty soon. We had hoped for at least a short time to enjoy it. Our dealer sounded discouraged.
I'm concerned something happened on their end and they can't complete the sales. Do they have a display yet? Can you talk to another state dealer to hear if they heard the same?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Called two other Indiana dealers and they also said they were not receiving their shipment of Slingshots because Indiana DOT had not approved the Slingshot. What can we do to help resolve this?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Spoke to an examiner for Missouri DOR and they advised that the skills test must be taken with 2 wheels only not with a trike.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
Spoke to an examiner for Missouri DOR and they advised that the skills test must be taken with 2 wheels only not with a trike.
Wait. That can't be correct. That would be the same as saying they don't give a motorcycle licenses to trike riders who ride them because they have a physical issue and they have to ride a trike. Or CanAm Spyder owners.

Sent using my fat thumbs via Taptalk App.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
3 wheel motorcycle only - WW

That is the exemption code for trikes in Missouri. They would have to let you take the test with a trike.

Sent using my fat thumbs via Taptalk App.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I'll ask a different one and let you know, I already have a motorcycle endorsement so trike only isn't an issue for me.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Time to broaden your horizon's these are in Canada also, license and helmet laws apply the post about a "tarrif" may apply to importing into Canada although the SS qualifies as Fee Trade

·
Registered
26 Posts
Illinois has come up with a different classification I believe it is called a motocar and you do not have to have anything but a drivers license

·
Registered
436 Posts
Oklahoma is looking at changing the license requirements for vehicles like they Slingshot. I didn't have a motorcycle license do I had to take there skills test, I used my SS to take the test. The senior DPS examiner that gave me the test told me that DPS is trying to change Oklahoma requirements. She admitted that it was ridiculous for someone that doesn't ride a traditional motorcycle to have to have a motorcycle endorsement. By the way she didn't ride with me for the test she followed me on a DPS car. I now can legally ride a crotch rocket, watch out!

·
Registered
286 Posts
Illinois has come up with a different classification I believe it is called a motocar and you do not have to have anything but a drivers license
I think it is "autocycle" and as of January 1 2015 you now longer need a motorcycle license, just a standard class "D".

·
Registered
1 Posts
South Carolina's DMV split out Trikes into two categories: "3-wheeled automotives", and "3-wheeled cycles". The delineation between the two categories is primarily based on steering ("car-style, or bike-style"). For full descriptions, you can see South Carolina Motorcycle Statute 56-5-145 and 56-5-150.

This state's Skills Test is configured in a way that makes it nearly (or outright, for the Slingshot) impossible to complete in a trike. Additionally, there was a large demographic of disabled veterans returning from overseas who wanted to ride, but no longer had the agility required to safely control a two-wheeled bike.

In 2009, former governor Mark Sanford signed into law House Bill 3347 which, among other things, allows both 3-wheeled autos and 3-wheeled cycles to be operated with a regular driver's license; no Motorcycle Endorsement is required.

Hope this helps some folks. I was close to buying a regular bike *just* to get my endorsement before getting a Slingshot. A local Slingshot dealer (Jack's Custom Cycles) set me straight.

·
Slingshot Aficionado
1,486 Posts
State: Virginia
Operator license required

All you need is a 3-Wheel Motorcycle License(M3) to ride a Polaris Slingshot.
Motor Vehicles

HB 122 and SB 383: Autocycle; defines a new class of vehicle and provides for examination of drivers, fees, etc. (Chapters 53 and 383) Amends Va. Code §§ 46.2-100, 46.2-325, 46.2-626.1, 46.2-662, 46.2-694, as it is currently effective and as it may become effective, 46.2-711, 46.2-715, 46.2-730, 46.2-910, 46.2-1011, 46.2-1012, 46.2-1014, 46.2-1057, 46.2-1067, 46.2-1068, 46.2-1092, 46.2-1157, 46.2-1167, 46.2-1500, and 46.2-1993

This bill defines a new class of vehicle, known as an autocycle, and provides for examination of drivers, registration fees, safety, inspection, and other requirements pursuant to creating this new class of vehicle. This legislation reflects the recommendations of the Non-Conventional Vehicles Study relating to three-wheel vehicles that operate and handle more as automobiles than motorcycles. The bill contains technical amendments. Components of the bill include:

Definition:

• Defines a new class of vehicle (the “autocycle”), which is based on the recommendations of the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA) Three-Wheel Vehicle Working Group.

• The autocycle has a steering wheel and seating that does not allow the operator to straddle or sit astride.

• The autocycle must be manufactured to comply with federal safety standards for motorcycles.

Driver’s license requirements:
    • A valid driver’s license is required to operate an autocycle on state highways.
    • A motorcycle class will not be required to operate an autocycle.
    • Autocycles may not be used for any behind-the-wheel examination.

Safety belts:
    • Autocycles must be equipped with an approved safety belt system.

• Operators and passengers in autocycles will be required to comply with

safety belt use requirements.

Helmets:
    • Helmets are required for operators and passengers of autocycles without a permanent, fixed roof.

• Operators of and passengers in autocycles with nonremovable roofs, windshields, and enclosed bodies shall not be required to wear helmets.

• This is consistent with current Virginia law on helmet use for motorcycle

operators.

Safety inspections:
    • For safety inspections, autocycles will be inspected as motorcycles.

• In order to pass the safety inspection, autocycles must also be equipped with

operational safety belts.

• Because autocycle operators do not need to have a motorcycle endorsement,

Virginia State Police will retain $2.00 from each inspection of an autocycle (compared to the $0.50 it retains for inspection of a motorcycle as the other $1.50 must be deposited into the Motorcycle Rider Safety Training Program Fund).

Registration fees and license plates:
      • The base fee for registration of an autocycle is $18.00 (the same as a motorcycle).

• As with motorcycles, autocycles will display one license plate on the rear of the vehicle.

Autocycle dealers:
      • Autocycles will be sold by licensed motorcycle dealers.

• There is no separate category for autocycle dealer.

New titles will be issued at no fee for those vehicles that were titled as motorcycles but meet the definition of autocycle.

Sheila Stephens, Deputy Director, Vehicle Services Administration (804) 367-2634
        E-mail: [email protected]

·
Registered
90 Posts
Just registered my Sling in Vancouver (British Columbia) today.
Was told by our 'DMV' that we had to register and insure it as a car. Hence, no MC license or helmets required.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Apparently they do...at least in British Columbia.
I was actually asked by a fellow yesterday at my dealer (was in getting my first service) if I would let him take my SS for a test drive, as the dealer refused to let him take one out without a MC license. Of course I said no.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've seen these in NC, so I know someone has the answers. come on folks!!

State: North Carolina
Operator license required?

Can I use the Polaris Slingshot to pass the skills test?

Can the skills test be waived?

Can I obtain a motorcycle learner's permit?

·
Registered
30 Posts
State: Alabama

All you need is a Motorcycle License to ride a Polaris Slingshot.
No, you cannot use the Polaris Slingshot to pass the skills test and get the required operator license.
This information is not available.
Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DPS office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: DPS Website

State: Alaska

No, you cannot use the Polaris Slingshot to pass the skills test and get the required operator license.
Yes, the skills test can be waived if you have successfully completed a rider training course approved by your local authority.
Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DMV office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: DMV Website

State: Arizona

Yes, if you do not have a Motorcycle License, you can use the Polaris Slingshot to pass the skills test and get your operator license.
Yes, the skills test can be waived if you have successfully completed a rider training course approved by your local authority.
Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest MVD office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: MVD Website

State: Arkansas

Yes, if you do not have a Motorcycle License, you can use the Polaris Slingshot to pass the skills test and get your operator license.
Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest State Police office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: State Police Website

State: California

All you need is a Car License to ride a Polaris Slingshot.
This information is not applicable
Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DMV office and be riding the same day.

State: Colorado

State: Connecticut

No, the skills test cannot be waived.
Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DMV / DOT office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: DMV / DOT Website

State: Delaware

State: District of Columbia

State: Florida

No. The State of Florida does not currently issue learner's permits.

State: Georgia

Yes. Pass a Knowledge & Vision test at your closest Highway Safety & MV office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Safety & MV Website

State: Hawaii

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest Motor Vehicle Safety office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Motor Vehicle Safety Website

State: Idaho

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest Co. Sheriff's DMV / ID 3rd Party Skills office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Sheriff's DMV Website

State: Illinois

Yes. Pass a Knowledge & Vision test at your closest Sec. Of State office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Sec. Of State Website

State: Indiana

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest BMV / ABATE office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: BMV Website

State: Iowa

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DOT - Driver Services office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: DOT - Driver Services Website

State: Kansas

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest Driver's License Bureau office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Driver's License Bureau Website

State: Kentucky

Yes. Pass a Knowledge & Skill test at your closest State Police office and be riding the same day.

State: Louisiana

No. The State of Louisiana does not currently issue learner's permits.
DMV Info: Motor Vehicles Website

State: Maine

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest BMV/BMW 3rd Party office and be riding the same day.

State: Maryland

Yes, but the training is only available for two wheels.
Yes. Pass a Knowledge & Vision test at your closest Motor Vehicle Administration office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Motor Vehicle Administration Website

State: Massachussetts

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest Registry of Motor Vehicles Division office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Registry of Motor Vehicles Division Website

State: Michigan

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest Sec. Of State / Dept. Of State office and be riding the same day.

State: Minnesota

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DPS office and be riding the same day.

State: Mississippi

Yes. Pass a Knowledge & Skill test at your closest Hwy. Patrol office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Hwy. Patrol Website

State: Missouri

Yes. Pass a Knowledge & Traffic Signs test at your closest Hwy. Patrol office and be riding the same day.

State: Montana

Yes, the skills test can be waived if you have successfully completed a rider training course approved by your local authority.</span>

State: Nebraska

State: Nevada

State: New Hampshire

State: New Jersey

No, you cannot use the Polaris Slingshot the pass the skills test and get the required operator license.

State: New Mexico

State: New York

DMV Info:
State: North Dakota

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DOT office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: DOT Website

State: Ohio

This information is not applicable.
Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest Highway Patrol office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Highway Patrol Website

State: Oklahoma

State: Oregon

State: Pennsylvania

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DOT office and be riding the same day.

State: Rhode Island

Yes. Pass a Knowledge &amp; Skill test at your closest DMW office and be riding the same day.

State: South Carolina

State: South Dakota

State: Tennessee

Yes. Pass a Knowledge &amp; Skill test at your closest Dept. of Safety office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Dept. Of Safety Website

State: Texas

All you need is a Motorcycle License to ride a Polaris Slingshot or a 3-wheel motorcycle license (M3).
Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DPS / Driver's License Div. office and be riding the same day.

State: Utah

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest Driver's License Division office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Driver's License Div. Website

State: Vermont

State: Washington

Not needed to ride a Polaris Slingshot. *3-wheel vehicle with a seating area, safety belts, and a steering wheel.
NA
NA
NA
DMV Info: Dept. Of Licensing Website & http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/needendorsement.html

State: West Virginia

Yes. Pass a Knowledge &amp; Skill test at your closest DMV office and be riding the same day.

State: Wisconsin

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DOT / DMV office and be riding the same day.

State: Wyoming

You might want to recheck Indiana they came out with a classification for the sling shot (cycle/Car) dont need a motorcycle license to drive it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
State: Alabama

State: Alaska

State: Arizona

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest MVD office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: MVD Website

State: Arkansas

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest State Police office and be riding the same day.

State: California

All you need is a Car License to ride a Polaris Slingshot.

State: Colorado

State: Connecticut

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DMV / DOT office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: DMV / DOT Website

State: Delaware

State: District of Columbia

State: Florida

No. The State of Florida does not currently issue learner's permits.

State: Georgia

Yes. Pass a Knowledge &amp; Vision test at your closest Highway Safety &amp; MV office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Safety &amp; MV Website

State: Hawaii

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest Motor Vehicle Safety office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Motor Vehicle Safety Website

State: Idaho

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest Co. Sheriff's DMV / ID 3rd Party Skills office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Sheriff's DMV Website

State: Illinois

Yes. Pass a Knowledge &amp; Vision test at your closest Sec. Of State office and be riding the same day.

State: Indiana

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest BMV / ABATE office and be riding the same day.

State: Iowa

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DOT - Driver Services office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: DOT - Driver Services Website

State: Kansas

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest Driver's License Bureau office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Driver's License Bureau Website

State: Kentucky

Yes. Pass a Knowledge &amp; Skill test at your closest State Police office and be riding the same day.

State: Louisiana

No. The State of Louisiana does not currently issue learner's permits.
DMV Info: Motor Vehicles Website

State: Maine

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest BMV/BMW 3rd Party office and be riding the same day.

State: Maryland

Yes, but the training is only available for two wheels.
Yes. Pass a Knowledge &amp; Vision test at your closest Motor Vehicle Administration office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Motor Vehicle Administration Website

State: Massachussetts

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest Registry of Motor Vehicles Division office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Registry of Motor Vehicles Division Website

State: Michigan

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest Sec. Of State / Dept. Of State office and be riding the same day.

State: Minnesota

State: Mississippi

Yes. Pass a Knowledge &amp; Skill test at your closest Hwy. Patrol office and be riding the same day.

State: Missouri

Yes. Pass a Knowledge &amp; Traffic Signs test at your closest Hwy. Patrol office and be riding the same day.

State: Montana

Yes, the skills test can be waived if you have successfully completed a rider training course approved by your local authority.</span>

State: Nebraska

State: Nevada

State: New Hampshire

State: New Jersey

No, you cannot use the Polaris Slingshot the pass the skills test and get the required operator license.

State: New Mexico

State: New York

DMV Info:
State: North Dakota

State: Ohio

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest Highway Patrol office and be riding the same day.

State: Oklahoma

State: Oregon

State: Pennsylvania

State: Rhode Island

Yes. Pass a Knowledge &amp; Skill test at your closest DMW office and be riding the same day.

State: South Carolina

State: South Dakota

State: Tennessee

Yes. Pass a Knowledge &amp; Skill test at your closest Dept. of Safety office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Dept. Of Safety Website

State: Texas

All you need is a Motorcycle License to ride a Polaris Slingshot or a 3-wheel motorcycle license (M3).
Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DPS / Driver's License Div. office and be riding the same day.

State: Utah

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest Driver's License Division office and be riding the same day.
DMV Info: Driver's License Div. Website

State: Vermont

State: Washington

Not needed to ride a Polaris Slingshot. *3-wheel vehicle with a seating area, safety belts, and a steering wheel.
NA
NA
NA
DMV Info: Dept. Of Licensing Website & http://www.dol.wa.gov/driverslicense/needendorsement.html

State: West Virginia

Yes. Pass a Knowledge &amp; Skill test at your closest DMV office and be riding the same day.

State: Wisconsin

Yes. Pass a Knowledge test at your closest DOT / DMV office and be riding the same day.

State: Wyoming

And we have an update!

http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/the-slingshot-has-passed-in-connecticut.6179/

21 - 40 of 118 Posts