Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if Polaris incorporated some tie down area for transporting the SS? I know on the RZR 1000 they have some specific hole for the hooks to go into. I'm not wanting to tie down to the suspension. I would assume on the rear that you could go through the wheel, but what about the front. Mine will be seeing some time in an enclosed trailer and I am looking for some info.
If you have seen one on a trailer at one of the demos, did you notice how it was strapped down?

Stephen

·
Registered
414 Posts
I remember that picture, but am not sure where the straps attach. I don't see any clear attachment points in the body removed pictures. I'd ask your dealer once they arrive. They may be able to tell you how they where secured for shipping.

Worst case, there's plenty of steal frame underneath. Flip the hood up and start looking around. I'm sure you'll find a strong spot to strap to.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I remember that picture, but am not sure where the straps attach. I don't see any clear attachment points in the body removed pictures. I'd ask your dealer once they arrive. They may be able to tell you how they where secured for shipping.

Worst case, there's plenty of steal frame underneath. Flip the hood up and start looking around. I'm sure you'll find a strong spot to strap to.
I don't know if these picture show the right place but its the only picture we can see SS strapped!
10524253_10153099479154829_372288249076237734_o.jpg
10535605_10153099479189829_270679229070500517_o.jpg

·
Registered
642 Posts
Could you use those wheel slings on the front tires of the SS without touching the body? Looks kinda close to me.
Depends on where your anchors are. You can either go over the air splitter if they're far enough out or something like a 45deg angle down if they're closer. Shouldn't be a problem.

This thing was trailered using wheel slings. A lot less room than the SS because of all the body and air dam.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses. I guess I'll probably invest in something like those wheel straps.

Stephen

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
In Centhron's second pic, it looks like the Slingshot is secured by a strap hooked to the lower front suspension arm.
Seeing the Slingshot backwards on the trailer makes me still think about backing the rear tire onto an auto tow-dolly and towing the Slingshot backwards w/the front wheels on the ground. Unfortunately, Polaris nixed that idea when I emailed them.
Towing using an A-frame automoble tow-bar would be the cheapest route, but would probably require removing the drivebelt. Towing backwards w/the tow-dolly would probably be the next step up in cost. Unfortunately, ALL of the aluminum trailers I've seen are much more expensive.

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
After looking at the pic again, I realize I was mistaken thinking the Slingshot had been backed onto the trailer. It was driven on normally, with the front of the trike at the front of the trailer. My bad.

·
Registered
79 Posts
How I trailer my spyder is I have an 2 inch angle iron mounted on my trailer, with tie down holes drilled into it. I drive the spyder up tight to the angle iron and ratchet strap each wheel separately to the angle iron. Then I run one strap thru the rear wheel with a bit of a backward pull. Very secure and no stress on the suspension. I just run strap thru the holes on the rim.

·
Registered
738 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I just purchased a trailer and now need to figure out the best way to tie down the Slingshot. Anyone have pictures or how the did it? @EjFord particularly interested in the front wheels.
It looks like in the picture above the person removed the splitter but in an earlier picture it looks to be attached?

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
Someone posted their use of a track rail mounted to the bed of the trailer which allowed them to attach a relocatable wheel-chock to the track and then use a strap over the tire to lock the Slingshot down. Clean and elegant. You can also get by w/o using the track-mounted chock and just place 3 pieces of track, one under each wheel area and then use 2 track-mounted hooks to strap each wheel. As long as the track pieces are securely mounted, you have a fast, easy and clean-looking system.
The big advantage of a track system is you aren't restricted to one configuration if you need to haul different vehicles.
This system doesn't even require a track. The chocks are small enough you can just permanently fasten them to the trailer and just drive over them. Compare Pack'Em Wheel vs Erickson ATV E-Track | etrailer.com (The Blue Straps).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts