Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From someone more familiar with these engines than I:

"they appear to use the stock Cobalt e38 ecm for that engine which is already unlocked for tuning and a Cobalt ss supercharger literally bolts on and goes for about 500 bux used. About $2k if you upgrade the SC to a TVS 1320 which supports about 400whp."

Here's a used kit I found on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cobalt-SS-LSJ-Supercharger-kit-2004-to-2007-Ecotec-Redline-2-0-2-2-2-4-/121355695816?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c415cf6c8&vxp=mtr

Here's a new kit: http://shop.zzperformance.com/store/p/610-2-2-2-4L-Bolt-on-Supercharger-Kit.aspx

Hopefully someone with more experience with these engines can tell us what all we need from a used kit to fit it up to the new Slingshot.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
I don't think the hood will be the issue - it will bet he firewall. At least for the screw/tvs supercharges.

The Cobalt engine is transverse so slapping it on the side (effectively up front in the engine bay) where all the room is makes sense.

This is why I think I am going turbo route. Lots of room on the exhaust side and in front of the engine for plumbing, etc.

But until mine hits the garage and I can see the room to work with, I won't make a decision.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

The Mallett 300HP Supercharged Sky and Solstice

Standard features include:
  • Bolt-on supercharger kit for your 2006+ Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky 2.4L Ecotec
  • Vortech Supercharger boosts the twin cam Ecotec to 300HP at the crankshaft!
  • Vortech PowerCooler
  • Wheel HP:
    Stock: 147HP
    Mallett Supercharged: 256HP
  • Wheel Torque:
    Stock: 148ft-lbs
    Mallett Supercharged: 208ft-lbs
  • Available as a Do-It-Yourself bolt-on kit or let Mallett's experienced and professional crew install it for you.
  • Complete kit starting at $6,995 including Engine Control Module programming
  • Mallett Conversion packages featuring custom embroidery, big brake upgrade, shocks and more starting at $14,995
  • For a complete list of available upgrades click HERE

·
Registered
45 Posts
Packaging might be easier if the blower was laid out like the new whipple for the 2015 mustang. Probably have more firewall clearance. Front drive front intake.

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The firewall on the Slingshot looks to be a good 8'' away from the back of the engine. I don't think that will be an issue at all. The hood fits pretty tight over the top of the engine so I don't think there will be any room there. Plus, you can't argue with an $800 supercharger kit that is proven to work!

·
Registered
45 Posts
The firewall on the Slingshot looks to be a good 8'' away from the back of the engine. I don't think that will be an issue at all. The hood fits pretty tight over the top of the engine so I don't think there will be any room there. Plus, you can't argue with an $800 supercharger kit that is proven to work!
Well thats true for sure. I think 250 hp would be perfect.

·
You could've had a V8
2,380 Posts
Might have to do some redneck engineering (I have been known...) to get this to fit within the 8" to the firewall...

afi_sc_kit_6_1024x1024.JPG

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Might have to do some redneck engineering (I have been known...) to get this to fit within the 8" to the firewall...

View attachment 268
I had the engine backwards in my mind. I thought the pulley was to the back of the engine and the intake came out the front. I still think there might be enough room going towards the firewall, but it's going to be close. The DDM kit looks like it might be the way to go anyways. Having a front mount intercooler would be the ticket.

·
Registered
155 Posts
What is to stop you from hanging the intercooler in the front under the center lights?

Would the radiator get enough air do you think?

Anyone going to do a top mount?

What about behind the front mud guards?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello, I am interested in the slingshot with a supercharger only. I now have a 750gsxr and zx14r which I enjoy riding. I am not a speed freak and ride with safety and fun in mind. My question is will the slingshot be able to handle up to 300hp. with the stock set up, rear end with traction control and the stock suspension. I will be paying around $24,000.00 for this toy and the only way I will buy it is if it is a real kick in the ass to ride. Anyone with a mechanical and structural back ground that may help with my decision?
Thank You

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Stock it's a "kick in the ass ride" :)

With a supercharger it will set your hair on fire! It looks like we will be able to adapt a supercharger to it pretty easy since a lot of the engines in other cars came supercharged from the factory. We just need to get our hands on one and make it happen.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I would mention that there are several other M62 applications in the GM world that don't have that anteater intake snout. You might be able to swap out the drive side on to one of the housings with a shorter intake neck. just search on ebay for "M62 Gen 3" and you will see some pictures. I have been contemplating doing this on my ecotec buggy, because I have the same issue that exists with the slingshot: That long intake would hit the firewall/frame. I already have the blower intake on hand. I might have to pursue this tack. I am planning to put my deposit down on Friday. Can't wait!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts