Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Volkswagen GX3 concept never made it into development, because of the Lawyers.

But it does have some very close similarities to the Slingshot that makes me wonder a little bit.
Whatever the circumstances, I know I am very thankful Polaris pushed through the obstacles and brought this incredible new machine into the market place.
The fate of the GX3 is a perfect example of how fortunate we will be to experience the Slingshot. Especially in the short amount of time it really has taken Polaris to bring this from concept to delivery compared to others.

You can read about it here if you would like; http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/0701_2007_volkswagen_gx3/

VolkswagenGX3_side.jpg
VWGX3_Back.jpg
VWGX3_Interior.jpg
VWGX3_rear.jpg

VolkswagenGX3_rear.jpg

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
That does look pretty slick. My preference is to own a Polaris over a VW, though. So, I too am glad at this turn of events!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
The VW is not even close to the looks that Polaris slingshot has. They interior look unfinished, The design is plain, nothing to be excited over.

Sorry very ugly, really ugly, not my taste at all

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The VW is not even close to the looks that Polaris slingshot has. They interior look unfinished, The design is plain, nothing to be excited over.

Sorry very ugly, really ugly, not my taste at all
I agree mike, the point wasn't to compare these two vehicle because there is nothing to compare it to, VW failed to get it out of concept. The point is that Polaris deserves major kudos because they have accomplished what the rest have not or are still stuck in concept trying to do. Not only has Polaris accomplished it they have done it in very short order.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I agree mike, the point wasn't to compare these two vehicle because there is nothing to compare it to, VW failed to get it out of concept. The point is that Polaris deserves major kudos because they have accomplished what the rest have not or are still stuck in concept trying to do. Not only has Polaris accomplished it they have done it in very short order.
I live in Providence where some of three wheelers were born; T-Rex, can am spyder, g-2cycles, V13R, AERO 3S
...and maybe some that I forgot to mention.
None of those vehicles besides, Can Am Spyder (which I had in the past) have, ABS brakes, traction control, Soundsystem, futuristic a look and style, engine that has been in the market for over 10 years and and that is easily modified to turbo or supercharg.....and many more options that I'm sure that I'm forgetting to mention.
If I wanted a three wheeler I had full of options right here in Quebec, but I waited and I'm glad that I did because I got the best for half the price.
If you ask me, did I get my dream come true?! Hell yeah

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Couldn't help but notice the tires are NOT Kenda. Yokohama. Hmmmmmmm
Keep in mind Stan this is a concept from 2006 that never made it, a lot has changed since. We also have no idea how far in the testing phase it was at this time. I do like the rear exhaust though, might be a possibility for future Slingshot models.

·
Registered
78 Posts
That VW was a great thing I remember seeing it years ago and saying HMM I want. I'm a VAG guy all the way. The Germans know how to make a well built car. I like the exhaust coming off the back and not at the passenger foot well. I will be fixing that. I will be making a set of custom pipes with heat shields. Maybe like old viper gts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
796 Posts
When it comes to those tires, I have many questions. 265/35/20 tires are $85-$110 anytime. Names we all know and trust.... Firestone, Perelli, etc. A 35-series tire is extremely low profile, and will have a stiffer sidewall just by reason of basic lever mechanics.... it's shortness. These are the same tires that can (and do quite well) support the bohemith mass of a BMW 7-Series weighing over 4,500 lbs! Wring it thru the slalom back & forth, left and right, and what happens... NADA, zilch, nothing (except awesome G's) Now put that same tire in the ass end of my Slingshot that weighs only 1,743,... 2,100 with two people in it?? And according to the Polaris engineers, only 35-41% of the total vehicle weight is on that rear tire. I'm just finding it hard to believe that it would not be a safe set up. It's very possible that Kenda was the only one to put the Slingshot name on a tire because the mega corporations were afraid of a lawsuit-happy public. I do know this, if I, or any other Slingshot owner is sussessfully convinced that the Kenda tire is the only safe choice, then we are more likely to pay Polaris' $289 EACH price. So in order to convince, the propaganda has to start. Oh.... it already has!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So in order to convince, the propaganda has to start. Oh.... it already has!
You are probably correct, I am sure other tires will work but I don't believe it has anything to do with propaganda.

Every manufacturer sends out bids trying to get the best product for the cheapest price possible. More than likely Kenda was the only one willing to take the risk and pony up some products. You watch what happens now after these things start flying off the show room floors. Polaris probably can't answer their phone fast enough already.
This thread is a perfect example of everyone one of these manufactures getting strapped down by red tape and no help trying to push the limits with something new. Most suppliers are going to sit back and wait until the Slingshot proves itself first. I would suggest we try and remember and support the companies that had the foresight and guts to join Polaris and take the risk.

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
Polaris definitely deserves a huge amount of support and praise for bringing such a unique vehicle to market. That takes a huge set of nuts. Could any of the large automakers have done the same thing? Of course they could but they would never take the risk and also would not want to risk cannibalizing their existing product lines.

·
Registered
702 Posts
A 35-series tire is extremely low profile, and will have a stiffer sidewall just by reason of basic lever mechanics.... it's shortness.
There's no lever.

It's a property of springs that the shorter they are, the stiffer.

Every manufacturer sends out bids trying to get the best product for the cheapest price possible. More than likely Kenda was the only one willing to take the risk and pony up some products.
What risk? It's just a car tire.

I bet it's just that small-potatoes Kenda is a good match for SS low production volume, and that the bigger tire companies couldn't be bothered.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Of course there's no "lever"..... lever MECHANICS. Basic laws & principals of physics. We learned that in college, remember? Take a basic No. 2 pencil and snap it in half. Now do it again. Now again. Getting harder to do, huh? That 3rd little piece is almost impossible to snap! Why? Because of lever MECHANICS! The shorter peice is stiffer and stronger. Apply this basic principle of physics and the tire with the low (short) profile, will inherently be stiffer than a taller (longer) sidewall tire, such as those found on off-road vehicles. Has NOTHING to do with springs. Heck, you could make this a hard tail with no springs period, and the low profile (short sided) tire will still be performing its wonderful stiffness! Physics rules!

·
Registered
702 Posts
How does lever mechanics apply when there's no lever?

"Has NOTHING to do with springs."

Sorry, your knowledge is lacking if you don't recognize that tires are springs, not levers.

One of the most important things a mechanical engineer learns is that *everything* is a spring, albeit often so stiff that it can safely be assumed to be rigid.

Engineering disasters have resulted because that assumption isn't always a safe one.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I think their is some interesting data to be pulled from that article.

it has a 5.7 0-60 with a nearly identical hp to lb ratio.

They successfully ran a very wide rear semi slick and despite "normal" front tires it apparently was still a hoot to drive and more importantly, it didnt explode the tires.

they planned to base price at 17k with a 7k profit margin before add ons (this means the ss could and should face stiff competition)

It managed to pull 1.25g (back to that sticky tire again are we...)

I think this just reinforces we need that big sticky rear to change it from something you hoon around in to a proper racer clinging to the curves. It also tells me that competition probably will probably be fierce in a few years with that kind of profitability which is great news for us consumers!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts