Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many reviews, professional and owner, of the SS on here now but I thought I would give impressions about some little talked about items and a few of the talked about ones...

First the usual:
1. Fit and Finish - Yes, the fit is not good - on par with a Razr. The materials are also on par with the offroader as well. Tupperware must be making a killing off Polaris. But, as has been said many times, this is a $20k roadster - it is exactly what I expected. Want BMW fit and finish? Go buy a BMW.

2. Throttle stammering - hasn't died on me yet but it is there. Seems like an ECU update would cure it.

3. Handling is a huge blast with one oddity (see below). It's fun to let the back slide out and have the ESC catch it. The electronics and not intrusive especially not like the Spyder.

4. Get your deposit back if you don't like attention. Pictures, conversations, cars pacing you, camera flashes from passengers of other cars, videos being taken by other drivers (Watch Out!). Want to know what an A-list actor or a popular rock star feels like? Get one of these. It's actually hard to leave populated places like grocery store parking lots, gas stations, etc. because of all the people wanting to know about it.

5+ It is wide - Z06 wide - so be aware of the edge of the road. The front lip is low so beware of inclines. Be prepared to answer the question - "did you make it yourself?"

Oddities:
Double bubble - drove home with no windscreen and then mounted the double bubbles myself. With no windscreen it feels like a motorcycle: lots of wind, lots of buffeting. The double bubbles are crazy good for being so small. I wanted to still have a bit of airflow through the cabin since there is no AC and you have to wear a helmet - they are perfect for that. And they are just below my sight-lines in front of me (I am 5'-10"). I drove several hours in 40 degree weather and they were great - even at 60 mph.

Handling - one strange thing about the handling is that the steering is not self correcting to center. Meaning if you turn the SS into a turn and let go of the steering wheel, it will continue making the corner. You actually have to pull the wheel back to center. It doesn't require much thought but it shows itself when driving down the road - straight. In your normal car you make a correction to center the vehicle by just lightly tugging on the wheel then letting go allowing it to self center. In the SS you have to tug one way then tug the other to center it again. I am not sure if I am getting the concept across here but it is definitely different than other vehicles (cars, motorcycles, etc.). This is a byproduct of the suspension tuning Polaris did to keep the front end from biting too hard and cause the back end to come around.

LED installation - I also installed the Polaris light kit myself. The kit is good and the install is pretty straight forward except you really need to pay attention to the drilling portion. Location is key and it is easy to drill (up) through the dash/firewall and hit the frame. If it is too close to the frame then you can't install the LED - they are about 1" long, stiff plastic before the cable runs out the end. They are pressed in from the engine compartment and if the frame is too close they won't be able to fit between the frame and the dash/firewall. One other note is the plug which connects to the switch to operate the lights was wired backwards. There is only one way to install the plug into the switch and they had the blue light and white light swapped in the plug. No big deal but still a QC item.

Hood Latches - I know that this has been covered but just to reiterate - the system they have kinda sucks. I have issues with it nearly every time I open the hood. Sometimes one won't disengage or engage. Thankfully it is forward hinged so even if they are fubar'd the hood won't fly up.
Note - the hood is best opened where the latch is pressed at the front of the nose. I thought I saw a video on it or pic here on the forum but that is the best was to get it open with only one person. I just wish that it was better finished (padded, non sharp edges, etc.) so it didn't dig into my fingers while I haul it up.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Great write up tango! Believe me when I say I am taking every review to heart!

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have definitely seen this, makes me panic at times when coming up to a stop light.

2. Throttle stammering - hasn't died on me yet but it is there. Seems like an ECU update would cure it.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Uuuugh. I rarely have to wait for anything except for actual known departure dates for cruise ships.Y"all aint helping .

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
Well I am getting mine from a second tier dealer that is keeping the first two as demos, so I guess by the time mine gets to me, most of the bugs will be worked out. There's always a silver lining in there somewhere.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the write up!

How is your SS on the gaugle bubble issue a few ss owners are seeing?
No issues with the gauge bubbles. It's strange there have been a couple of issues since these are Indian gauges and have been produced for a while.

·
Registered
330 Posts
There are many reviews, professional and owner, of the SS on here now but I thought I would give impressions about some little talked about items and a few of the talked about ones...

First the usual:
1. Fit and Finish - Yes, the fit is not good - on par with a Razr. The materials are also on par with the offroader as well. Tupperware must be making a killing off Polaris. But, as has been said many times, this is a $20k roadster - it is exactly what I expected. Want BMW fit and finish? Go buy a BMW.

3. Handling is a huge blast with one oddity (see below). It's fun to let the back slide out and have the ESC catch it. The electronics and not intrusive especially not like the Spyder.

4. Get your deposit back if you don't like attention. Pictures, conversations, cars pacing you, camera flashes from passengers of other cars, videos being taken by other drivers (Watch Out!). Want to know what an A-list actor or a popular rock star feels like? Get one of these. It's actually hard to leave populated places like grocery store parking lots, gas stations, etc. because of all the people wanting to know about it.

5+ It is wide - Z06 wide - so be aware of the edge of the road. The front lip is low so beware of inclines. Be prepared to answer the question - "did you make it yourself?"

Oddities:
Double bubble - drove home with no windscreen and then mounted the double bubbles myself. With no windscreen it feels like a motorcycle: lots of wind, lots of buffeting. The double bubbles are crazy good for being so small. I wanted to still have a bit of airflow through the cabin since there is no AC and you have to wear a helmet - they are perfect for that. And they are just below my sight-lines in front of me (I am 5'-10"). I drove several hours in 40 degree weather and they were great - even at 60 mph.

Handling - one strange thing about the handling is that the steering is not self correcting to center. Meaning if you turn the SS into a turn and let go of the steering wheel, it will continue making the corner. You actually have to pull the wheel back to center. It doesn't require much thought but it shows itself when driving down the road - straight. In your normal car you make a correction to center the vehicle by just lightly tugging on the wheel then letting go allowing it to self center. In the SS you have to tug one way then tug the other to center it again. I am not sure if I am getting the concept across here but it is definitely different than other vehicles (cars, motorcycles, etc.). This is a byproduct of the suspension tuning Polaris did to keep the front end from biting too hard and cause the back end to come around.

LED installation - I also installed the Polaris light kit myself. The kit is good and the install is pretty straight forward except you really need to pay attention to the drilling portion. Location is key and it is easy to drill (up) through the dash/firewall and hit the frame. If it is too close to the frame then you can't install the LED - they are about 1" long, stiff plastic before the cable runs out the end. They are pressed in from the engine compartment and if the frame is too close they won't be able to fit between the frame and the dash/firewall. One other note is the plug which connects to the switch to operate the lights was wired backwards. There is only one way to install the plug into the switch and they had the blue light and white light swapped in the plug. No big deal but still a QC item.

Hood Latches - I know that this has been covered but just to reiterate - the system they have kinda sucks. I have issues with it nearly every time I open the hood. Sometimes one won't disengage or engage. Thankfully it is forward hinged so even if they are fubar'd the hood won't fly up.
Note - the hood is best opened where the latch is pressed at the front of the nose. I thought I saw a video on it or pic here on the forum but that is the best was to get it open with only one person. I just wish that it was better finished (padded, non sharp edges, etc.) so it didn't dig into my fingers while I haul it up.

Great review!!!!
Would you say the double windshield would make it a little harder to hear speaking between driver and passenger?
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
I'm really curious on the double windshield. Have you ridden in one with the blade windshield @Tango?

I would think aerodynamically that the double would be a bit nicer and the airflow as you mentioned.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I haven't ridden with the blade unfortunately.

As for hearing the passenger, it is better than without the bubbles but wearing a full face helmet with everything shut (very cold) made heading difficult anyway. However, wile at moderate speeds, say 35 mph, it was no problem.

The interesting thing is the air channeling down the center. the drivers bubble directs air at the passenger while the passenger bubble channels it towards the driver. Since the flow is working against each other it mostly stays down the center.

The lack of helmet buffeting was quite shocking between having them on vs. off as well. Amazing how much a little plastic makes.

With heated clothing I could easily drive below 32°.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I have ridden a demo last week. The demo was an SL with Blade windshield. Had to seat a little forward more to the steering wheel because of leg constraints. .short legs 5 ft 6 inches tall. Anyways from the get go until I hit around 65 to 70 mph and above is when it starts making your helmet shaky. Which is almost the same as riding on a motorcycle. At view point, my eye is leveled to the top of the windshield.

·
You could've had a V8
2,360 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have ridden a demo last week. The demo was an SL with Blade windshield. Had to seat a little forward more to the steering wheel because of leg constraints. .short legs 5 ft 6 inches tall. Anyways from the get go until I hit around 65 to 70 mph and above is when it starts making your helmet shaky. Which is almost the same as riding on a motorcycle. At view point, my eye is leveled to the top of the windshield.
It will be similar with the bubbles but you have an unobstructed view in the middle. I still think the bubbles are a little shorter but not much - maybe an inch? My base was outside and the SL was inside so I couldn't do a side by side comparison. Perhaps someone could measure from the hood to the top of the blade in front of the driver and I could measure the bubble and compare?

·
Registered
362 Posts
It's 11 3/4 inches from the hood to the top of the blade windshield. I measured right at the center side edge of the black plastic "stripe". I'm only 5' 9", my vision point is about and inch or two above the top of the windshield. It seems very natural there for me.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
It's 11 3/4 inches from the hood to the top of the blade windshield. I measured right at the center side edge of the black plastic "stripe". I'm only 5' 9", my vision point is about and inch or two above the top of the windshield. It seems very natural there for me.
There will be a shorter version available, and a taller version. The Slingshots are being delivered with the medium height shields. I have no idea what the dimensions will be, nor how soon they will be available.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts