Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder how well a Slingshot rental fleet would go over? Set up shop somewhere around the Dragon, Hwy 1 in CA. The 3 Sisters in Texas. or many other great riding areas.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Great all the way up to the scene of the crash. You need to statistics bored... I can see something that reads number of slingshots lost today 7.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Having a slingshot rental fleet would be interesting but I would think that insurance rates on such a venture would be enormous!

I live in a tourist area and they rent out a lot of things and people cruise around the area I would think a lot of people would rent one, but probably only if it was an automatic (which I have heard is probably going to be a possibility down the road) and they didn't need a motorcycle license.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Great all the way up to the scene of the crash. You need to statistics bored... I can see something that reads number of slingshots lost today 7.
Ryder, would it be any different than the HD places that rent or the exotic car rental places?

I don't know...just starting to think this through

·
Vendor
554 Posts
I'm pretty sure the warranty goes away or is at least reduced for rental or commercial applications. Another consideration to think about...

·
Vendor
554 Posts
Yah, I figured warranty would go away.

Jus thinking about this.
you have the price point going for you... the cost 200 of Slingshots = 1 Lambo lol

·
Registered
541 Posts
You looking for a partner, or maybe investors.
Would need several locations to start with. Would have to see just what their safety ratings worked out to with the Insurance Industies ( Institute )
Start up cost could, Easily run $500,000 plus.

It would depend on any existing infrastructure starting out.

Lots of factors would come into the planning

·
Vendor
554 Posts
You looking for a partner, or maybe investors.
Would need several locations to start with. Would have to see just what their safety ratings worked out to with the Insurance Industies ( Institute )
Start up cost could, Easily run $500,000 plus.

It would depend on any existing infrastructure starting out.

Lots of factors would come into the planning
I think insurance costs gets passed right along to the consumer like any rental operation.

·
Registered
212 Posts
An interesting idea for certain. Motorcycle rentals already exist and it looks like the going market rate for a canam is around $225 so maybe 250 or so for an ss? Whether the market exists is another question for certain and i bet you would have competition with these other cycle rentals who have a wide variety of other bikes.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Insurance on a Rental vehicle is different than regular insurance. Commercial lines insurance will be plenty! Probably enough to put you out of business. If it is a large busines then self insurance is how it is done.

In a small rental business , you end up working for the insurance company instead of your business, all the profit goes to them first and you get the left overs!

Voice of experience. Stingray Hawaii was a Corvette Rental business in Hawaii!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Self insurance is something very few companies do because it is VERY expensive to do for anything but the largest of companies. Even UPS didnt self insure as of a few years ago, thats how expensive it can be.

Commercial insurance depends on the exposure but off of the top of my head its probably going to be an excess lines market and pretty expensive because of the lack of safety since its not a far and people will treat it like one. I would just make a few feeler calls to some insurance brokerages to see what kind of numbers you might be looking at to see if your model adds up.

·
Registered
541 Posts
With the right business model and dealagent research it could be possible. I think with the right location in California due to our great weather this would enhance the business. One could conduct a market research survey to gauge the interest in such a business venture by the pubic. I think with time of the SS in the public hands this would help the insurance companies gauge what they would need to charge a business. This way with all the research done the business model would give us the necessary information of success for the venture. Or at least it would give us ideas on where to possibly start.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Another plus for California you don't need a motorcycle endorsement. Would help out the venture if they came out with a automatic trans model.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was looking into getting a Slingshot in my area (California central coast) and came across a place that is renting out slingshots and spyders called dg adventures. I'm going next weekend for a ride I'll let you all know how it goes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tim, I'm located in FL and thought about renting SS's well before I purchased mine. Wanted a stationary location as well a mobile one. Adding to Kayla's comment I attached the rates for DG Adventures. Constant tourism on both coasts of FL from north to the south makes a lot of sense to me. Let me know your thoughts.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts