Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Nay

Votes: 12 57.1%
1 - 21 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did a quick like 3 minute rendering of a larger diameter wheel for the rear, which in my opinion fills out the rear alot (the one part I, and I think most people feel is lacking).

I already got skinned alive on my last rendering ;) (http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/slingshot-rendered-with-hardtop-and-door.1773/) of a hardtop idea so I'm ready for the "You don't get it, go buy a prius" comments. Anyway, just an idea, here it is

slingshot big wheel.jpg

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm sure a bit of mild suspension work would be needed, but otherwise I don't see why it couldn't work. Not sure where the (speed sensor?) reads from so that may be something to tackle as well

·
The Pack
5,165 Posts
Now this I like! Well done. Don't feel bad about the other rendering. It was nicely doctored. You just kinda poked this pack of rabid fan dogs with a pointy stick :) Don't be mad at us for barking.

Back on the thread topic, I think the larger rear wheel fills in the back of the ss. The only issues I see are either having to build a giant wheel, or make a giant balloon tire. Then you run the risk of rubber making contact with the back on the ss on a bump. Looks damn cool though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say the diameter of the rendering is probably a bit over 22". I'm sure there's a vendor somewhere who makes a decent looking wheel and I'm sure the tire can be found. If there are viral pictures of Camaro SS's with 30" lowprofile wheels in florida, I'm sure this can be found

I suppose the rear suspension could be tightened up to prevent rubbing. Not an expert and I don't know how this would affect handling. It would probably make the gear ratios feel a bit longer and combined with some performance mods, a wider rear tire may be needed

·
Registered
686 Posts
Definitely looks better, though it looks like a lot more than 2" more than stock.

Functionally though it increases overall and unsprung weight, hurting acceleration, ride, and handling.

Of course you could say the same for the stock wheels; 15" wheels like the Miata has are much more appropriate and would perform better.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Threw one together with the hardtop idea plus the larger rear tire. Personally? I think this would be awesome and if it could be had for >25k I'd sell my elise and pick one up
Polaris-Slingshot-01render23.jpg

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Threw one together with the hardtop idea plus the larger rear tire. Personally? I think this would be awesome and if it could be had for >25k I'd sell my elise and pick one up
View attachment 3501
Im on the fence on this one. It just makes it different. I don't know if its good or bad. But keep em coming. I like to look at new ideas.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Did a quick like 3 minute rendering of a larger diameter wheel for the rear, which in my opinion fills out the rear alot (the one part I, and I think most people feel is lacking).

I already got skinned alive on my last rendering ;) (http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/slingshot-rendered-with-hardtop-and-door.1773/) of a hardtop idea so I'm ready for the "You don't get it, go buy a prius" comments. Anyway, just an idea, here it is

View attachment 3500
The SS is begging for some R/L storage compartments rear-end makeover.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
I agree about it rounding out the back. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Not a big fan of the bigger rear wheel (reverse Big Wheel) but I like the hard top. I wonder how hard it would be to get in and out with a top?

·
Registered
480 Posts
After I burn off the factory tire I plan on putting a BIG wheel/ tire on the back. I figure by the time I burn it off someone will figure out what will work, and sell it to me.
I like the idea of a removeable soft top as well. Anything that can give us more days on the road is a good thing.

1 - 21 of 22 Posts