Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

61 - 80 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the headlights stop working on my 2016 Slingshot, the wires and inline fuse actually melted. they charged me 200 in labor plus parts to fix it. 1 month later the headlights are out again

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I had the headlights stop working on my 2016 Slingshot, the wires and inline fuse actually melted. they charged me 200 in labor plus parts to fix it. 1 month later the headlights are out again
You got ripped off - that should've been covered under warranty!

·
2,333 Posts
"Inline fuse"...do you have a headlight bypass switch installed ?

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Post the dealer put them to shame
Show them this as per 4nines
WASHINGTON, D.C. - Polaris is recalling more than 9,000 2015-16 Slingshot vehicles because the headlight relay may fail, causing a loss of headlight capability while riding.

Involved are the following:
  • Slingshots manufactured from April 21, 2014 to Oct. 22, 2015,
  • Slingshot SL models made from April 28 to Oct. 23, 2015, and
  • Slingshot SL SE models manufactured from Dec. 15, 2014, to Oct. 22, 2015.
"In conditions of high underhood heat, the amperage rating for the headlight circuit relay may become marginal," Polaris reported. "In addition, the temperature at the female terminal pin is higher than what is desired. These two issues can cause the relay to fail intermittently and/or cause the wiring at the relay to become damaged. These issues could cause the headlights to intermittently or completely turn off while the vehicle is in operation."

The first indication that a problem exists is that the headlights may intermittently flash on and off for brief periods of time, and then otherwise operate normally, the OEM told NHTSA. "This can continue for quite some time before the headlight circuit becomes damaged enough to completely shut the headlights off," it noted.

Total number of vehicles affected, according to Polaris: 9,182. Polaris estimates that 8 percent of the total have this defect.

Polaris is notifying owners. Dealers are asked to replace the single headlight relay with a circuit that uses two headlight relays, free of charge. The recall (Polaris No. SLI-15-05; NHTSA campaign No. 15V777000) is expected to begin Dec. 4.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
@16sssl, Go back to your dealer and demand a refund. If that doesn't work, contact Polaris. Polaris has admitted to the problem and should resolve it. Not saying that will happen, but at least give it a try.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
back in May I had the headlight issue and I got these
Substitute general purpose relay : the sling requires this Fog Light Relay http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Song-Chuan/303-1AH-S-R1-12vdc/ however I'm using the WAYTEC ,INC 75736 SONG CHUAN ULTRA ISO MICRO REALY 20 A 12V SPST is the perfect match for those missing relay spots (FOG LIGHT) and for spares and for your over heated headlight relay however now you can get it for free AND KEEP THE SLING UNDER WARRANTY

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
IIRC, the Fog Lights circuit is designed for 10A.
If the Polaris fix is the one I cited in the article above (replace the single headlight relay with a circuit that uses two headlight relays), then I will probably have the recall repair done so I get my Fog Lights circuit back for other uses.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I was 2 days away from ordering the headlight bypass from Cycle Springs. I was always careful to not stay on high beams to long because of the problems other SS owners were having.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hoping the rear axle bearing recall is next so I can get it done all at once. Maybe by then they'll issue the power steering and angle-drive recalls too... one can only hope.

The one problem not experienced (yet) is the rear axle nut... good nut, bad bearing, go figure.
Don't forget about the hood pads and backup camera. "IF" Polaris stands behind all of these problems. It will more than likely RESTORE my faith in Polaris. as of right now I don't EVER plan on buying another Polaris product.

·
Super Moderator
2,951 Posts
Don't forget about the hood pads and backup camera. "IF" Polaris stands behind all of these problems. It will more than likely RESTORE my faith in Polaris. as of right now I don't EVER plan on buying another Polaris product.
Hood pads got replaced under warranty. I'd been checking & repositioning them regularly, until the hood latch broke, then they slid out without my knowing.

Backup camera locks "on" once in a great while, but I'm sure you're referring to the noisy power circuit that ruins FM and weather station reception which everyone running a stock system seems to have (unless their Chinese camera dies and they get the upgrade). Yeah, that'd be nice. I'm so used to using the [rather limited] MP3 system I forgot there was a tuner!

(Polaris forgot about the customer, so this customer forgot about Polaris.)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hood pads got replaced under warranty.

Backup camera locks "on" once in a great while, but I'm sure you're referring to the noisy power circuit that ruins FM and weather station reception which everyone running a stock system seems to have (unless their Chinese camera dies and they get the upgrade). Yeah, that'd be nice. I'm so used to using the [rather limited] MP3 system I forgot there was a tuner!
I must have missed the memo about the hood pads. My camera went out one day, and has' not worked since.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Guessing most of us snowbound northern bunch owners and dealers will deal with this this spring. Might have to take a short sprint today though, supposed to hit close to a rare El Nino 50 deg F in Mn in Dec, gotta do it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I live 150 miles away from the closest Polaris dealership. Since it is a stop drive stock sale notice I had assumed they would arrange to have my vehicle towed to the dealer. Wrong.

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
............ but I'm sure you're referring to the noisy power circuit that ruins FM and weather station reception which everyone running a stock system seems to have
Nope! :p

Our SlingShot must have come down the assembly line on a very special day for the radio reception is just fine, we have not experienced bearing failure, the lock nut has stayed in place, the brakes work just fine, no RPM flares or stutters or any of the other problems some of you seem to be continually having, with one exception of a single incident of the "steering glitch" which has not returned since................

We will be making an appointment to have the double nut system installed on the rear axle, (that just makes sense), and we will have this headlight recall addressed, though we haven't experienced that problem either.............. :D

Bill and Justina

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I believe that this problem was what caused the 'toasted' the fuse box in my 2015, fixed that >>>> traded up to a 2016. The bike will run and all system work except the headlights when it 'toasts' the fuse box. I drove the bike to the dealership without the headlights
125 miles...during the day. No problem.

The minute I saw/heard the recall I was on the phone setting an
appointment for the recall. Letters have not yet gone out to owners
but your dear will probably fix with no problem. Less than I hour
to do the repair. The dealers were all sent a few replacement
parts, call ahead to make sure they have one. Had mine done
on Saturday. Little cool for a 125 mile one way ride, but my butt
was nice and warm...my son got me a heated 12v seat pad for
the cold weather.

61 - 80 of 96 Posts