Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Earlier this year we decided to create the Slingshot Racing Cup and test out the concept in Manitoba, Canada. We're not making any money on this so hopefully it doesn't come across as tacky self-promotion.

We're mainly using the Slingshot SLR and, apart from putting in a Sparco race seat and harness, we have kept the Slingshot's completely stock. Everyone entered with their own Slingshots and had no prior racing experience...part of the program is that they are put through several training courses and are working closely with a professional driver to make sure everything is done safely as well as enable each driver to improve their lap times.

So far this year we have had an absolute blast with some incredibly close wheel-to-wheel racing. Race 1 had the top 4 Slingshots all finish within 1.8 seconds of each other.

We are wondering if there is interest anywhere else in North America to do some championships like this. We'd love to see it grow and maybe even give everyone the chance to travel around experiencing different race circuits. Thanks!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Everyone entered with their own Slingshots
I wish this were true, because I'm already a Slingshot owner (like just about everyone else here) and I'm interested.

But you need to be clearer about this. You are "including" a new SLR in the price of the race package. You can't actually use your Slingshot that you already own; you are using the Slingshot you just bought as part of the race package.

And if you're charging an approx $10k premium over the MSRP of the SLR and "not making any money" on these packages, then you are doing something wrong. o_O

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish this were true, because I'm already a Slingshot owner (like just about everyone else here) and I'm interested.

But you need to be clearer about this. You are "including" a new SLR in the price of the race package. You can't actually use your Slingshot that you already own; you are using the Slingshot you just bought as part of the race package.

And if you're charging an approx $10k premium over the MSRP of the SLR and "not making any money" on these packages, then you are doing something wrong. o_O
Hi Mike,
Apologies for the delay in response, we just finished our final race this last week.

Existing owners are more than welcome to join us. However, in order to do wheel to wheel racing we need to make sure that each Slingshot is fitted with an appropriate race seat, belt system and that the driver has appropriate safety gear.

Nothing done wrong here :) The "premium" you mention is beyond eaten up and then some. Factor in a Sparco race seat and 4 point safety harness, $1600 per driver worth of driver safety gear, track rental, race insurance (not cheap), medics, food, new tires, fuel, substantial year end prize, storing/hauling Slingshots, trailer rentals, timing/scoring systems including transponders, proper radios, flags, professional driving instructor, Slingshot technicians, etc etc.

Thankfully we have a wonderful local dealer on board who loves racing and sees the value in building the Slingshot brand in the hopes it may pay off long term and lead to exciting opportunities :)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thank you for the clarification. When I originally asked about this series I was disappointed that there was no option to bring your own vehicle. I'm glad to see you are rethinking this. I look forward to more information at your website about the future of the series now that you have completed your first year.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the clarification. When I originally asked about this series I was disappointed that there was no option to bring your own vehicle. I'm glad to see you are rethinking this. I look forward to more information at your website about the future of the series now that you have completed your first year.
No problem! Thanks for keeping up to date and asking questions. Feedback is always welcome and helps us to plan for the future. There's a group of people here who love racing, Slingshots and are passionate about making sure everyone involved is enjoying each moment of it... so hopefully there is a bright future ahead :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts