Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Yeah, the SS cooling system is a little unusual in there is no radiator cap and no radiator drain valve.

When I installed my turbo and removed the radiator, after I reinstalled and filled the coolant I let the engine get hot and tapped lightly on all the cooling system hoses. Refilled the reservoir tank to half and so on. It's very rare now that my fans kick on so pretty sure all is good there. I do have a Mighty-Vac but didn't have the right adapter. On my "to purchase" list.

I hate idiot lights also so when I install all my gauges next winter, an oil temp and water temp gauge are going to be installed along with the AFR/Failsafe.

Idiot lights remind me of that commercial where the guy says "I'm not a credit guard, I'm a credit monitor. I just tell you AFTER something is wrong, that something is wrong".

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I hate idiot lights also so when I install all my gauges next winter, an oil temp and water temp gauge are going to be installed along with the AFR/Failsafe.
That's something I want to do as well, a temp gauge, and I'd like to bring a speedometer up to eye level. I like my steering column set low and it obscures the speedo. Have to duck down to see it.

What I'd really like to do is get a laptop interface so I can monitor and record the engine temps and functions like you can easily do with an ODBII connector. It can tell you a lot about your vehicle.

Reactions: jim r

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Yeah. Thats the problem with this marine ECM the SS has. I have a really nice $300 OBD scanner and it's worthless on the SS. Pisses me off.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Yeah. Thats the problem with this marine ECM the SS has. I have a really nice $300 OBD scanner and it's worthless on the SS. Pisses me off.
Same here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
First off I love my sling and this is not a complaint thread just seeking advice as this was our first parade in the slingshot, it was a very slow and long parade with temps in 90's but nice breeze,noticed temp light blinking at final few blocks of parade ,when I pulled away from parade to get some air to engine it went into limp mode so found shade to park in no visible signs of overheating and after 30 minutes or so it started and ran fine all the way home never did hear the fan kick on are they that quite overflow tank was at normal level and no purging.

Just an update sorry have been super occupied lately, dealer did complete diagnostic fans and everything working but did found the overheat event stored in comp so they called polaris and were told it was a caused by driving too slow for extended period in heat, something about the way the airflow is routed it mixes with the exhaust to create excessive heat? They do not recommend parades, guess I will save parade running for cooler months at least till I reroute exhaust outlet and add
gauges. thanks for all the input just did 680 mile round trip and loved every mile no problems at all and a lot more comfortable than my spyder ever was used to stop every 40 min or so now just stop when I want to or need gas.:woot:

2016.5 sle

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Just an update I did a Christmas Lighted parade with temps in the upper thirty's to low fourty's and still had light come on at end of parade I have a new dealer taking care of the Sling now so going to check with them this week got to be something going on.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Just an update I did a Christmas Lighted parade with temps in the upper thirty's to low fourty's and still had light come on at end of parade I have a new dealer taking care of the Sling now so going to check with them this week got to be something going on.
Did you check the thermostat? It could be clogging or defective. A cheap fix and it does happen.

·
Registered
50 Posts
entered my 2017 Sling in a Parade last Nov. It was about 5 miles long with warm day, not hot. No problem. Two years ago I entered my Honda Goldwing trike in a longer parade and the radiator fan went on. That was OK, except the battery went dead from not enough engine speed to charge the battery.

·
Registered
236 Posts
entered my 2017 Sling in a Parade last Nov. It was about 5 miles long with warm day, not hot. No problem. Two years ago I entered my Honda Goldwing trike in a longer parade and the radiator fan went on. That was OK, except the battery went dead from not enough engine speed to charge the battery.

I would say that there was an issue with the alternator on your goldwing if is was an 1800. The factory alt on the 1800's were suppose to be comparable to the "compufire" alt. It was a 90amp alt that was advertised to put out 60amps at idle. I had one of those on a 1500 GW and it done a great job no matter what I hooked up to it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
First off I love my sling and this is not a complaint thread just seeking advice as this was our first parade in the slingshot, it was a very slow and long parade with temps in 90's but nice breeze,noticed temp light blinking at final few blocks of parade ,when I pulled away from parade to get some air to engine it went into limp mode so found shade to park in no visible signs of overheating and after 30 minutes or so it started and ran fine all the way home never did hear the fan kick on are they that quite overflow tank was at normal level and no purging.

2016.5 sle
Just another update had the new dealer check it out , he said computer shows the overheat events but he could not duplicate it after having it for two days, so he said sorry but will have to charge you 1 hr labor since they could not find the problem, argh just when I thought I had a great dealer, I asked about setting the temp lvl on the fans and he said he didn't have anyway to change that setting so told him I would just come up with a fix of my own, I am planning on installing manual gauges and a manual switch for the fan also looking into what would be involved with removing or modifying the heat management shroud witch he didn't know existed.:-(

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Just another update had the new dealer check it out , he said computer shows the overheat events but he could not duplicate it after having it for two days, so he said sorry but will have to charge you 1 hr labor since they could not find the problem, argh just when I thought I had a great dealer, I asked about setting the temp lvl on the fans and he said he didn't have anyway to change that setting so told him I would just come up with a fix of my own, I am planning on installing manual gauges and a manual switch for the fan also looking into what would be involved with removing or modifying the heat management shroud witch he didn't know existed.:-(
Ditch the heat shield and make sure your coolant is full and doesn't have air in it. I would also add Water Wetter and just throw a new thermostat in it to be safe.

You can also send your ECM out to MEFI Bob and he can lower the fan on temp to a lower setting.

Dealers can only do so much and most fall short on intermittent issues like this...

·
Registered
468 Posts
My concern is NY traffic, nowadays everyone is a taxi ( uber, lyft, yellow, green, etc ) and with no temp gauge i feel lost , so I added this for now and will see how my summer goes before I try anything else...

Attachments

·
Registered
236 Posts
Sad that some so called dealers know so little about the SS they sell. I find it hard to believe that the dealer cannot set the temperature the fans come on at. I believe I would attempt to talk with another service department manager at a different dealer and see if I could find one that at least knew hot to make that change and then go from there. Sorry you are having problems with your ride and thank you for continuing to update us about it. Hopefully we can all learn something.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Sad that some so called dealers know so little about the SS they sell. I find it hard to believe that the dealer cannot set the temperature the fans come on at. I believe I would attempt to talk with another service department manager at a different dealer and see if I could find one that at least knew hot to make that change and then go from there. Sorry you are having problems with your ride and thank you for continuing to update us about it. Hopefully we can all learn something.
They cannot change this at the dealer, they are correct on this. It is a MEFI ECM and the software they use called Digital Wrench doesn't have a setting to engine temp fan turn on and turn off.

They should have pressurized your coolant system to look for leaks and to get all of the potential air out. They also should have looked at your thermostat and just replaced it under warranty to be safe.

This motor has minimal issues with overheating. We have several Slingshots in AZ running around in idle traffic at temps over 110 degrees with 0 issues. I run mine on the track very aggressively for 20 minute sessions and also don't have issues.

If the dealer cant/wont help, find a mobile mechanic. Have them do the above and you should be good.

·
Registered
361 Posts
maybe one you SS gurus,or anyone with info.....I just installed a trio of gauges and when it was finished I started it up and water temp did nothing for about 5 min idling then popped up to about 80c/178F,so I thought the t-stat opened,so I went out running around in the high desert today about 85deg out there.Did a few burn outs a couple drifts another burn out got back into town and hit about 4 stop lights noticed the gauge was up to 100c which I know is 212F and Im wondering why the fan hasn't come on I have heard it before when I have come home from rides and go to move a car to get into the garage it has come on.....so I take it easy on way home and it goes below 100c,so I get home and had to get my son and girlfriend to move there cars so I can get in...leaving the SS idling and when I come back to move her the warning light is blinking and it's reading about 108c/225deg and the fan still isn't on but no overheating light on tach so I turn off and open the hood....it showed no signs of overheating felt top hose it was hot but I have felt hotter no bubbling in watertank…...does anyone know what temp the t-stat is I'm thinking since the gauge started to work and jump to 80c/179F our t-stat is a 180F but when does the fan come on.....theres no bleed valve to bleed and the t-stat seemed to open at 180F...did the people before me take out the 195F and put in a 180F.....what is happening...is the gauge not accurate....I mean it is running great and doesn't show signs of overheating....any help or info would be great...out of warrenty that's why I put some gauges on and now I'm seeing this.....idk....crazy motorcycle ...love it but it's tricky at times...lol...thanks guys oh it's a 2016.5 SL LE...with heat kit and the new shroud

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
maybe one you SS gurus,or anyone with info.....I just installed a trio of gauges and when it was finished I started it up and water temp did nothing for about 5 min idling then popped up to about 80c/178F,so I thought the t-stat opened,so I went out running around in the high desert today about 85deg out there.Did a few burn outs a couple drifts another burn out got back into town and hit about 4 stop lights noticed the gauge was up to 100c which I know is 212F and Im wondering why the fan hasn't come on I have heard it before when I have come home from rides and go to move a car to get into the garage it has come on.....so I take it easy on way home and it goes below 100c,so I get home and had to get my son and girlfriend to move there cars so I can get in...leaving the SS idling and when I come back to move her the warning light is blinking and it's reading about 108c/225deg and the fan still isn't on but no overheating light on tach so I turn off and open the hood....it showed no signs of overheating felt top hose it was hot but I have felt hotter no bubbling in watertank…...does anyone know what temp the t-stat is I'm thinking since the gauge started to work and jump to 80c/179F our t-stat is a 180F but when does the fan come on.....theres no bleed valve to bleed and the t-stat seemed to open at 180F...did the people before me take out the 195F and put in a 180F.....what is happening...is the gauge not accurate....I mean it is running great and doesn't show signs of overheating....any help or info would be great...out of warrenty that's why I put some gauges on and now I'm seeing this.....idk....crazy motorcycle ...love it but it's tricky at times...lol...thanks guys oh it's a 2016.5 SL LE...with heat kit and the new shroud
Thermostat is a 180f.

Fan kicks on at 212f (100c) and kick off at 203f (95c).

·
Registered
2021 Slingshot R
75 Posts
did my first short parade yesterday. my normal running temp is 194. when the temp showed 210 i wondered if that was too high. what temp would yall say is high.

·
Registered
107 Posts

2016.5 sle
Try a supplementary electric Fan.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts