Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I love my sling and this is not a complaint thread just seeking advice as this was our first parade in the slingshot, it was a very slow and long parade with temps in 90's but nice breeze,noticed temp light blinking at final few blocks of parade ,when I pulled away from parade to get some air to engine it went into limp mode so found shade to park in no visible signs of overheating and after 30 minutes or so it started and ran fine all the way home never did hear the fan kick on are they that quite overflow tank was at normal level and no purging.

2016.5 sle

·
Registered
55 Posts
First off I love my sling and this is not a complaint thread just seeking advice as this was our first parade in the slingshot, it was a very slow and long parade with temps in 90's but nice breeze,noticed temp light blinking at final few blocks of parade ,when I pulled away from parade to get some air to engine it went into limp mode so found shade to park in no visible signs of overheating and after 30 minutes or so it started and ran fine all the way home never did hear the fan kick on are they that quite overflow tank was at normal level and no purging.

2016.5 sle
I used to have the same problem with mine and then I installed a jumper on the relay to a rocker switch on the dash. Now when it begins to get hot (temp gauge - aftermarket) I turn on the fan manually. It still works in the auto mode, but the switch is a great back up in case the thermocouple doesn't.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used to have the same problem with mine and then I installed a jumper on the relay to a rocker switch on the dash. Now when it begins to get hot (temp gauge - aftermarket) I turn on the fan manually. It still works in the auto mode, but the switch is a great back up in case the thermocouple doesn't.
Thanks for the reply Any pics of the temp guage and jumper set up?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just curious if either of the previous posters have gone back to dealer over the issue and what was said? I would expect a warranty issue?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just curious if either of the previous posters have gone back to dealer over the issue and what was said? I would expect a warranty issue?
In my case it just happened today and thought I would get some ideas or advice before I call dealer.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2016.5 SLE as well so I am listening carefully. I can certainly understand a manual switch helping with the problem but I don't think one should be required. I am not sure you would hear the fan kick on going down the road. But idling and parked you can definitely hear it kick in. If your fan is not kicking on at all that should be an easy warranty repair for the dealer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 2016.5 SLE as well so I am listening carefully. I can certainly understand a manual switch helping with the problem but I don't think one should be required. I am not sure you would hear the fan kick on going down the road. But idling and parked you can definitely hear it kick in. If your fan is not kicking on at all that should be an easy warranty repair for the dealer.
I am going to check it at idle with hood open tomorrow and see if I can determine if the fan is running.I can definitely see some new gauges in the future for my sling I hate idiot lights LOL.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I am going to check it at idle with hood open tomorrow and see if I can determine if the fan is running.I can definitely see some new gauges in the future for my sling I hate idiot lights LOL.
Having the hood open might affect how the fan gets turned on, but I don't know for sure on this. I do know that you can definitely tell when the fan turns on when sitting at a stop such as a drive-thru line.

·
Registered
273 Posts
In my case it just happened today and thought I would get some ideas or advice before I call dealer.
When bob did my ecu ,I requested the fan to turn on at a lower temp,problem solved.i had a jumper before but took it out after ecu tune, because I never needed it again, it's all because of the heat management radiator shroud, thought polaris might issue a ecu flash after radiator shroud kit .because never had problems until after installation, don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
When bob did my ecu ,I requested the fan to turn on at a lower temp,problem solved.i had a jumper before but took it out after ecu tune, because I never needed it again, it's all because of the heat management radiator shroud, thought polaris might issue a ecu flash after radiator shroud kit .because never had problems until after installation, don't hold your breath.
Didn't know he offered that service. I need to keep that in mind.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Didn't know he offered that service. I need to keep that in mind.
Ditto. Will add that to the list of requests when I finally send mine in.

·
Registered
1 Posts

2016.5 sle
Sorry for being off topic - has anyone thought of using a Motus MV4 Baby Block

Attachments

·
2,333 Posts
Sorry for being off topic - has anyone thought of using a Motus MV4 Baby Block
You would need an MV4R to equal the bone stock SLingshot HP and even then you are way under the stock torque with only 1650cc of Motus V4 .....

............. there are IMO better, easier, and more economical options ....

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
2016.5 sle
With our stock 2015 it is quite obvious when the fan kicks on, (in which it did on several occasions on today's jaunt up and over a mountain trail.) We would be curious if maybe the added shroud on later models may have been a mistake on Polaris' part, possibly too restrictive of airflow through the radiator?

Bill

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you drained and refilled your coolant at any point?
It only had 800 miles when I bought it few weeks ago so I haven't had to do anything other than recall work so far, I have the replacement side panels coming within week so will have them check it out then so far I have never heard the fan kick in.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
It only had 800 miles when I bought it few weeks ago so I haven't had to do anything other than recall work so far, I have the replacement side panels coming within week so will have them check it out then so far I have never heard the fan kick in.
Okay. Reason I ask is these require (just like my bike and more and more cars) a little finesse to burp the coolant system of air after refilling the coolant. Polaris (and GM) recommend vacuum bleeding of the coolant systems. But I'll focus on the cause of the problem for the next couple paragraphs.

If you get air in the coolant (just like my bike) it can enter an air pocket around the combustion chambers etc.. where it sits and can cause a variety of maladies. On my bike the coolant temp sensor is right next to a pocket on the head that is infamous for causing false over-heating situations. To double the trouble the cooling fan sensor is in an area where false signals are pretty much impossible. So you get the temp sensor saying one thing and the fan sensor saying another.

On the bike we call it "burping" the system. You start the bike up with the reservoir cap off and let it heat up until the fans kick on. Then you wiggle the bike around and tap with your hands on the radiator hoses. You'd be amazed at how many air bubbles you see pop up in the reservoir tank.

[email protected] has a coolant hose addition to specifically address similar issues as their testing has shown (going off memory here) that there is a coolant drain down type issue on the #1 cylinder.

All that said.there are multiple fuses involved with the fans. I count 4 at a quick glance in my service manual. Check those first. Start simple. :)

I have had my SS in 95F stop and go and those fans were running and you can definitely hear them. That's the first thing we need to figure out with yours. Having an overheat light come on is most definitely not normal and honestly the first time I've heard of it happening on a Sling.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Considering how new it is, you may want to check the hose routing to surge tank. Could be something strange going on there from the assembly line. Compare it to another sling if you can. Many pictures here.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
On the Polaris Sportsman and many sleds it helps to slightly elevate the front end when attempting to burp the system as Blitz has described. I don't know if this would be beneficial with the Slingshot.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts