Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I emailed Rider Insurance (where I have my motorcycle insurance) and they replied that that do not offer coverage for the Slingshot.

So where to turn next... Is this going to be considered a car or a motorcycle by most insurance companies? Anyone have a recommendation? My auto is with NJ Manufacturer's - I would expect they will probably not cover the Slingshot either.

·
Registered
916 Posts
This is the quote I got from foremost back in August. It was only good for 30 days and of course no slingshots were out so I don't know if it's still valid or not. I'm waiting til it gets a little closer til they actually get released before I check around again. Progressive also gave me a quote but if I remember correctly it was around $1800 or so
View attachment 431 Here is my quote from Foremost. I didn't think $657 was so bad, especially for NJ. Not much more than my bike insurance.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Got a quote from Markel on line this morning $616.00 a year $100,000/$300,000 Comp and Collision $500.00 deductible and that for Bergen county NJ. Formost was $1207.00 a year same coverage.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Thanks for the BAD NEWS. I was hoping to use Markel here in Texas, and was hoping the reports I had heard were wrong since the website would give me an estimate. My regular insurer won't cover it because they claim the motor is too big.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thanks for the BAD NEWS. I was hoping to use Markel here in Texas, and was hoping the reports I had heard were wrong since the website would give me an estimate. My regular insurer won't cover it because they claim the motor is too big.
Assuming you dont have Foremost as an option? I am waiting on Allstate as they insured my Can Am RT for less than $300/yr

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
haven't spoken w/a Foremost agent yet, but they at least offer insurance in TX. Will contact later after/if I calm down.:banghead:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, rider is only motorcycles. Not sure why they won't cover (perhaps it will change down the road). I assume it might be because it is too "car like" for them or perhaps it is the engine size (although I would imagine a Gold Wing is pretty close to 2.4L these days).

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, rider is only motorcycles. Not sure why they won't cover (perhaps it will change down the road). I assume it might be because it is too "car like" for them or perhaps it is the engine size (although I would imagine a Gold Wing is pretty close to 2.4L these days).
According to my Rider Rep they won't cover them because they are to much like a car not enough motorcycle. They only wan't to do motorcycles not even thrilled about doing ATV's or Side x Side but they do it but he said they will never do Slingshots. But as every one else has said about any other major insurance company will insure them.

·
Registered
916 Posts
I called Nationwide today and it doesn't appear they are going to cover the SS in NJ. Then I got a pleasant surprise when I called a local Allstate agent. For $100000/$300000/$50000 coverage with a $500 deductible their silver protection is $433 and Gold is $453 for 12 months. It seems I will be going with them with that rate for sure. Also called Foremost again and their rate went up since August when I got my first quote from $657 to $700

·
Registered
13 Posts
Markel not insuring ss in NY
California insurance
I am picking mine up later today or early tomorrow.
My current quotes for an old guy (72) clean record max insurance they will give me some were 500K CSL others were 100/300 These quotes are WITH a vin number a quote without giving them a vin is useless!
Markel says they ARE NOT writing the slingshot
Geico says the same
Foremost $1,160
Progressive $621
If anyone has anything better I would sure like to hear about it

·
Registered
916 Posts
Was he able to give you a quote and was it with a VIN or without? If ya don't mind sharing. Also if ya don't mind, age and driving record?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts