Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine the dealer's insurance covers you for the test drive, but what about the drive home after I buy it?

Do I need to have set up insurance, or does the insurer (AAA) of my other vehicles automatically cover me (even though I won't be insuring the SS with them because the cost is ridiculous)?

·
Registered
474 Posts
Depends, everyone is different. My insurance company covers me after a purchase others don't. Also some dealers/states require you to show insurance before they can finish the sale.
Check with both your dealer and your insurance agent for your situation.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Im paying cash so I dont. but if you finance ,to be sure they will require insurance .I will carry insurance especially vandalism and theft .

·
Registered
172 Posts
every state has different rules/laws and dealerships have different policys of how they handle insurance

·
Registered
210 Posts
Considering your state you will probably need to make sure the insurance is in place before it leaves the lot. You have to do that in NY, the exceptions dealing with plate transfer.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
In Iowa, typically your insurance carrier will cover "new purchases" for 15 days. However, with the Slingshot due to the questionable approval with my now former insurance company I fully bound & paid for coverage BEFORE I brought it home.

Reactions: Bird440

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
In IL you have to have valid insurance to drive it on the street, Ive had ample time waiting on the SS to arrive, so I lined up insurance now, so when it arrives I just call them and I am good. They will email me a copy of the insurance card.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hello, can anyone answer a question I have? If I pay cash for the Slingshot do I need proof of insurance to drive it off the lot in Florida? Is it illegal if I get pulled over on the way home without insurance. I wanted to get insurance after I pay for the slingshot. Thanks

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Florida law gives you 30 days on your existing policy before getting it transferred or added onto.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
In IL you have to have valid insurance to drive it on the street, Ive had ample time waiting on the SS to arrive, so I lined up insurance now, so when it arrives I just call them and I am good. They will email me a copy of the insurance card.
If you pay cash the dealer could care less if you have insurance or not. If its financed the dealer has to verify valid insurance.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Here in Quebec we are obliged to have insurance before even putting it on the road.
If you finance your machine, The dealer won't let you leave with it before the see the insurance paper and verify it, they oblige us to have insurance which is a good thing. If you buy it in full , The same rules are followed. If we get caught with no insurance, it's a towing and a very very very big ticket

·
2,333 Posts
Since it is titled as a motorcycle FL does not require you to have insurance, ever.

If someone finances it then it is up to their lender to make insurance a requirement.

We are doing the same, cash, no insurance at pick up, then taking the time to shop for the best price on full coverage.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Since it is titled as a motorcycle FL does not require you to have insurance, ever.

If someone finances it then it is up to their lender to make insurance a requirement.

We are doing the same, cash, no insurance at pick up, then taking the time to shop for the best price on full coverage.

Thanks for response

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you happen to be an old fart and have AARP Hartford Ins. they don't insure motorcycles, so you will need Foremost or someone else. Therefore the 15/30 days auto coverage won't work.

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,162 Posts
If you pay cash the dealer could care less if you have insurance or not. If its financed the dealer has to verify valid insurance.
My point was in IL you must have proof of insurance if you get stopped, and yes any financial institution will require insurance to comply with loan regulations.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I imagine the dealer's insurance covers you for the test drive, but what about the drive home after I buy it?

Do I need to have set up insurance, or does the insurer (AAA) of my other vehicles automatically cover me (even though I won't be insuring the SS with them because the cost is ridiculous)?
This is from my insurer. Best to get it covered for the ride home. You want to gamble on some idiot on his/her cell phone.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Then you have dumba##'s like me. Assuming I would be covered by my ins. Co. I drove away without any! Farmers no longer covers bikes. Not knowing this, I thought "No biggie they cover my Suzuki!" But it's grandfathered in. Neither the bank nor the dealership asked for proof of insurance. When I called the next day to convey the Vin I got the bad news and near shat myself. AAA now has me covered through Progressive. Formost wanted me to invest in a land deal in mid Manhattan I guess. No where near the quote I received 2 months ago.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts